GreaseSpot Cafe

Ohmygod

Jim

Yep, me too.

"He's busy right now. Could I help you?"

I worked in a department where my supervisor was an unbeliever, and her favorite curse word was JEEEZZUS KEY-RIST! Finally on my way by as she swore, I said, "Jesus Christ didn't drop those papers, you did."

Sorta hushed her right up, for a while anyway.

Ever notice that Muslims never say "ALLAH DAMN IT!"? Or "MO-HAMMMMED!"?

I think whether you are a believer or not, it's sort of low class.

Hear it all the time on "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" when the recipients of the dream home see it for the first time. I always want to say, "It's not OMIGOD, it's OMYTYPENNINGTON."

WG

OMG doesn't bother me much, but when someone uses the name of Jesus blithely or as a swearword, like WG mentioned, that bothers me. I generally refrain from "correcting" or educating them. On the one hand, they mean "nothing" by it, but on the other hand, it is the very definition of blasphemy.

Catholics, I think, started the somewhat less offensive, "Jesus, Mary, and Joseph," which often lacks the edgy "cursiness." It's often almost wistful, like the Jewish "oy vey."

Maybe the offendee is saying the offender's mother was not a Muslim.

There are a lot of other things that can be said to express one's dismay, i.e., shipwreck!

We had a Muslim guy from Egypt as a resident where I worked, and his command of English was sometimes shaky. The chief resident, a clever fellow who picked up on this right away, started calling him Beeyotch, which of course meant nothing to him. Eventually someone tipped him off so he called the chief resident right back, only since his English was sometimes shaky, it came out "Zee-aytch. Thus he was called until the chief resident finally graduated and moved away.

WG

Maybe the offendee is saying the offender's mother was not a Muslim.

That's definitely a possibility. I think the best insults (or worst, depending on your perspective) are from the Chinese, specifically in Cantonese as Mandarin is a more gentle language.

In Cantonese you tell people "Death to your entire family" when you are really mad at them.

Blessings and cursings

One of the commonest blessings today is "Have a nice day."

One of the commonest curses includes our most censored word in the English language. It is a pronouncement of evil on the person cursed.

There is a lot of cursing going on. Try noticing where they come up in posts.

Edited by anotherDan

I still like "Shut the front door!"

Funny, if one is inclined to use certain other expressions.

But sometimes you can stop people's mouths by smiling very sweetly and saying, "God bless you!" in a kind manner. Makes the curser think a bit about what they said.

Oh, and to return to the subject of this thread, "OMG" and "Jesus/Jesus Christ/Christ" and permutations thereof tick me off too. Odd, isn't it, how the most powerful Name above all names has become the most debased, in modern life.

This is kinda off topic but here goes.

Along time ago, in a galaxy that's real, real close, I worked for a temp. labor service.

It seems that "real" jobs conflicted with class schedules and twig schedules and-----Awww, you get the picture.

So, anyway, I go to pick up my first weekly payout(cash only) and the the guy behind the bullet proof glass hands me a pay statement that shows a fee to the union , a fee to the company, etc., etc. My total pay after all the deductions was something like a buck two eighty. The guy looks me straight in the eye, smiles and says, " Have a nice weekend.

Well, maybe I was tired or maybe I was frustrated but it just struck me as being completely hysterical that this guy would wish me a "nice weekend" when he was fully aware that I had just worked my butt off for 40 hours and was walking away with only a buck two eighty to show for it.

I just couldn't stop laughing so I took my money and left.

I guess that was something he said to everybody without thinking about the context.

I don't let it bother me when someone says "GD this!" or "JC that" or "OH MY God!".

But when they say "Have a nice weekend", look out, buddy 'cause I've got my buck two eighty and I'm roarin' to clown!

I still like "Shut the front door!"

It's a great expression because when you say it, it sounds like you're about to say something else. ;)

ROTFL

I have a number of words that are my favorite in a crisis or urgent or an amazed situation. It always freaks people out if I let one slip in the wrong environment. i.e. a Christmas party or family gathering. While raising our kids, my wife and I use to use the initials to express ourselves. FSD! ! !

I now have to incorporate your slogan. I think it's great! ! ! !

My former mother-in-law had a few that I find myself using at times.

When someone else might say "helter skelther" she would say "Emmer go hett!"

Instead of "Oh, for crying out loud!" she'd say "Oh, for cry eye!"

My mom would say "Jesus, MARY and Joseph!" with the emphasis on Mary. Why, I dunno.

Or "Judas Priest!"

I've always wondered what the H in "Jesus H. Christ" stands for.

I love that "Shut the Front Door" - I may have to try that one out... :biglaugh:

Well...with 4 teens in the house, their buddies, etc....their mouths got progressively nastier...I wouldn`t have minded so much but I have younger children in the house that DON`T have the discernment of when it is appropriate to NOT use such language.....

Anyway, we made em start changing the words...if you HAD to say anything....you had to change the words to describe what you were saying without swearing......instead of f ---- you...it was fornicate you, or... manure head...oh urinate on you...or you maternal fornicating low life male off spring of a female canine....anus orfice was always a favorite.....bovine excrement...manure cerebelum....you are such a mammary gland....they got pretty creative and it was never anything that the youngsters were even remotely tempted to repeat....

It was a phase they went through, and now we don`t have too much trouble with bad language.

Edited by rascal