GreaseSpot Cafe

Save money on AA batteries

GT

I know for a fact that lantern batteries didn't *used* to be made that way. When I was a kid, they had 4 cells inside, each the diameter of a D cell and about an inch longer. I know because my dad worked on the railroad and kept me supplied with used but not totally run down lantern batteries for my electronics experiments. Eventually, I had to take one apart.

A few years ago they switched to using standard D cells instead of the longer cells.

I guess I'll have to take one apart someday and find out. I've been buying the generic AA bricks of batteries at Costco or Fry's. On sale, usually $8-$10 for 40.

I showed my son n law this video, so he got all excited and pulled out the 6 volt battery out his huge flashlight..low and behold after 15 minutes of prying the top off..it showed 4 tubular cells inside...

I repeat..this does not work..

also, my daughter was perusing that same website and found the myth balster that shows its not true....

Last night at about this same time, I watched the video of this on this post. I somehow clicked the metacafe website and watched clips for about 2 hours. Facinating web-site. Everything from chemical class to the Tonight Show was in it. I don't know if it's true about the battery. But if it is, I would venture that most of the other clips have some fact behind them as well.

Thanks for sharing this.