GreaseSpot Cafe

Warren Jeffs Guilty

Lifted Up

The victim testified, not only in court, but publically as well, as many have doubtless seen. That surely was a key. Allen Steed has now been charged with rape. Is will be interesting to see his defense, since he testified for Jeffs in that trial.

It's about time, eh?

Just to clarify, Allen Steed would be the COUSIN who was 19 when Jeffs married he and his then 14 year old cousin.

It's also my understanding, from reading a couple of sources on this situation, that in Utah, a 14 year old CAN consent to having sex legally (which precludes statutory rape)... except if the rapist is more than 3 years older than the victim. And this guy is 5 years older than his cousin and now former wife.

Good for her, for having the courage to see this thing through. :eusa_clap:

They are not LDS by the way, they are an offshoot, the same way CES is an offshoot of TWI. The LDS church doesn't condone what is done in the polygamist's community.

There is a whole city that the polygamists live in Colorado City, Arizona, near Utah's border, the community has been there for close to a century. Around those parts, the people and the community are accepted, for the most part, there are lots of people who have amicably left over the years, there is a bit of media hype over this case.

So many have assimilated into the surrounding communities it is not that unusual to find ex-members in northern Az and southern Utah. Too bad they didn't let this little girl determine her own future.

They are not LDS by the way, they are an offshoot, the same way CES is an offshoot of TWI. The LDS church doesn't condone what is done in the polygamist's community.

True, and yet there are so many here who tie the "offshoots" to TWI as though there is no difference. My deprogrammers would have had fun classifying them, since accordning to them the LDS were a cult just as TWI, UC, and JW. Anyway, I wouldnt use the word "offshoot" for those reasons, as I agree, they don't seem to be directly connected with LDS.

Good for her, for having the courage to see this thing through. :eusa_clap:

I agree with you, Rocky. There would have been good reasons not to blame her if she hadn't spoken up as she did. But we can certainly applaud her for, as you say, having the courage to see this thing through.

There is a whole city that the polygamists live in Colorado City, Arizona, near Utah's border, the community has been there for close to a century. Around those parts, the people and the community are accepted, for the most part, there are lots of people who have amicably left over the years, there is a bit of media hype over this case.

So many have assimilated into the surrounding communities it is not that unusual to find ex-members in northern Az and southern Utah. Too bad they didn't let this little girl determine her own future.

Make no mistake, MANY who STILL are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints STILL believe in the practice of polygamy. And SOME of those folks DO practice "the principle," albeit in a clandestine manner.

btw, But Now I See, HOW do you know these things that you speak of, for example, the things you say happen "around those parts?"

The LDS I've run into either don't have any interest in it,

or were excellent liars who said they had no interest in it.

The offshoots that practice it, of course, have to exercise running off most of the men,

in order to create the artificial husband shortage necessary to make polygyny

look practical. I caught that on television when they showed something on

one of these groups once. They were showing how it happened without actually

coming out and saying this was the reason men were being run off, IIRC.

I agree with WW, the LDS church in no way condones it, nor do it's followers.

Make no mistake, MANY who STILL are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints STILL believe in the practice of polygamy. And SOME of those folks DO practice "the principle," albeit in a clandestine manner.

btw, But Now I See, HOW do you know these things that you speak of, for example, the things you say happen "around those parts?"

Rocky, excuse me? What are you asking? What are you driving at? Are you asking this of both me and WW?

HOW do you know the things you speak of, why do you say that some still practice it and how

is it that you say those "folks" do practice the "principle"?

Edited by but now I see

It is monumental IMHO that the girl testafied. There was another girl here in Mohave County who was pressured by her family and refused to testify. They held her in custody. I don't know what became of it. Those girls must be in terrible turmoil to be raised like that. They probably think there is nothing outside the life they know.

Every once in awhile I see a few in our County building when I am heading out for lunch, and most of the women I see look older. I haven't seen the really young ones. They probably keep them at home to elude scrutiny. What a shame this culture has been for girls.