GreaseSpot Cafe

Episode 9 - Dr John Juedes on Believing

pawtucket

• 1 month later...

Listening to this podcast, I was struck by what John has to say about prayer, coupled with TWI arrogance in expecting God to "deliver" (or just expecting the delivery without even considering the deliverer!).

Were we taught to pray? Really?

Remember, in an early session of PFAL we were taught that "the Lord’s prayer" isn’t something that we can pray. It’s not relevant to us. Although one aspect of that prayer was pointed out as having been already provided (like we don’t need our daily food any more, ha) in fact, subtly throughout the class and in subsequent teachings, the whole prayer and the structure of the prayer were dismissed.

What about recognizing our unique personal relationship with him, as a loved child?

What about recognizing the holiness of God?

What about recognizing his might, power, kingdom, authority?

What about recognizing that it’s his will that is to be done?

What about recognizing his forgiveness and grace?

What about recognizing what he truly has done for us and will do for us - his deliverance?

What about recognizing his gloriousness?

We were taught (by example) to "thank God for having already provided for us," and to simply to appropriate it. By "believing." But not by recognizing our relationship with him as our Daddy, his loving kindness, his grace. We were taught to behave like spoiled three year olds, kids at the check-out demanding candy. It’s good to recognize what God has done for us, and to claim what we have been given. (The weakness of some churchy folk of thinking illness is sent by God to test them drives me crazy!)

But within TWI, I wonder how many were genuinely thankful and how many simply learned to "thank God" simply as a matter of rote as they presented a list of demands?

In the same way, we finished our prayers, "in the name of Jesus Christ" almost as some magic formula, rather like we were hiding behind our big brother, not standing in the confidence of what he has made available for us.

Words - not wholeheartedness.

Where were we taught the *humility* of prayer in the manner that Jesus taught his disciples when they asked how they should pray?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you, Paw and thank you, John, This discussion was very helpful especially in light of "The Secret" a book which has gained a lot of attention from Oprah and others on the "Law of Attraction" - what we once called the "law of believing." I'm relieved to know that it is the relationship and grace that count with God and not our obedience to some law. Frankly, I'm a flop at the "law" but when I "cast my cares", everything else seems to fall into place. I was so relieved. The interview was like cool rain to parched ground. Thank you! tex