GreaseSpot Cafe

Ever considered giving up the Internet?

J0nny Ling0

Ya know, I have recently considered giving up the Internet. I had a chat with my kids about all of the amazing "electronic inventions" in the last fifteen years, and am on the verge of cutting a number of things off, the Internet being #2. The first thing that has been cut off is "video games" in my house. I told them that "when I was young", all we had was TV channels 4,5,7, and 9 and that we "just didn't watch much". If we wanted to entertain ourselves, we read books! But then they (my children) countered with, (the smart littler buggers): "Then maybe you should give up the Internet!" And I thought; "Well then, maybe they are right!"

Now. When it comes to me and my "Internet addiction", I think that my affiliation with the GSCafe is my "most visited place". But, = this is but an "indulgence" and something that I don't really "need". I mean. I lived without it FOREVER! (And so did you) But what I do enjoy in the mornings is reading the news (CNN, Fox, The Washington Post (my hometown paper), etc, etc. Also, I watch the stock market (particularly the natural gas commodities), and just generally want to have a handle on "what's happening "out there".

But now I am thinking; "What would I do without The Net? What ELSE would I be doing without being here Online? I told my kids that "I read books" when I was Young. And what do we do now? Well, we do in fact read,, but what are we reading? And what are our kids reading? Well, they read "Instant Messenger", and messages from "My Space", but what are they learning/reading?

And so, if I disappear from here, it will because I cut off ":The Net" not because "Jonny Lingo" wanted to disappear . It will be because I asked my ISP to cut me off. Nothing personal, if I cannot actually do it. It really is quite something, isn't it?

I think this is a valid subject. Please: What think ye?

Edited by Jonny Lingo

Don't find the internet a "vice" to me, I wouldn't even try to live without it. Makes my life easier. Great way to keep in contact with family and friends, communicate with my kid's schools (2 University, 1 high school), helps me with my job when I work from home, do lots of banking online, etc., etc.

But if it's a problem for you, by all means, give it up.

Each to his own.

Suda

To me--yes it is an addiction and one that is not always all that good. I find myself on it way too often much longer than I should be and needful things going undone.

Yes I read alot, but I find that my reading is sporadic and less concentrated, I can follow links and jump around forever to the point where it can become aimless if I am not careful as opposed to taking one thought or one book and riding it through.

I do like the social aspect of it, but my real life social life honestly isnt what it would be if I shut this darn thing off.

I like it for gathering information and ease of communication, but it can be like a drug, that sucks your time and gives you little to show for it if you are not careful.

Everyone needs to set their own parameters. I 'leave' it from time to time and generally find that outside life is just a little better, a little more colorful, a little more real when it is used at a bare minimum....

I dont know if I personally would give it up all together, but finding and maintaining the right balance for me hasnt been easy. It gets too much like a toy

A few years ago someone here accused John Hendricks of saying that the internet is of the devil. He didn't say that; but he said that to him it was one more thing that tempted people to spend too much time away from God.

There's always a down side to technology. When railroad tracks were being laid from one end of this nation to the other there were people who thought railroad smoke would destroy crops. I'll bet there was a caveman who thought the invention of the wheel was dangerous.

There was a book on time management TWI was pushing in some circles. It proved mathematically that if anyone really tried their best to get the maximum efficiency out of their time, they could run 50 corporations and still have time to spend with their families. No thanks, but time management is an issue. The internet among other things has pushed a lot of us to manage our time differently.

But it's here and it's hard to ignore. Perhaps staying off of it for a season would be good, or limiting the time spent on it per day, but giving it up altogether? That would be hard to accomplish, IMO.

Well, there are amish communities here that do without not only the internet, but auto mobiles, electricity, telephones.

They feel the same way about most modern conveniences as you do about the internet and electronic gadgets....personally ... I LIKE warm showers and refridgerators, clothes washer and dryer. I adore horses, but don`t want to spend an entire afternoon looking at ones butt as i ride to and from town.

I can and have done without all of the above modern conveniences, but doggone it...I sure don`t have too. My kids all play games and use the internet as well, but it is a pleasure, a luxury to be enjoyed, not an obsession to feel guilty about.

Maybe you could compromise? Agree to the amount of time they spend on games and you spend on the net?? Like an hour a day.

I think life is too short not to do what we enjoy. If this is what you like...why not do it?

Just to clarify, JL, you are referring to "recreational" use of the internet, correct?

The company I work for has an "intranet" that we use to do most of our business activity including ordering of product, company announcements, technical information, employee handbook and even our daily timesheets. We could not function without it.

And now, even paper airline tickets are going the same route as the dinosaur.

It only seems natural to seek some recreational diversion where you are forced to spend a good deal of time, anyway.

Still, I do see your point about letting things get out of balance.

I guess Grandpaw was right when he said "Too much of a good thing is bad."

Oops. Gotta go. I really need to answer this IM I just got. :wink2:

edited to add:

The general perception of the Amish lifestyle has been distorted by the media and entertainment industry.

Many do, in fact, use electricity which they generate themselves.

They are not keen on depending on the government supplying their needs.

Though they do not have phones in their homes, it is not unusual to see a payphone booth in the heart of Amish

country.

It is also becoming increasingly more common to see computers in their homes, which they use primarily for business

purposes.(Though the youngsters do use them to play video games)

(These observations are based on personal experience.)

Edited by waysider

"Ever considered giving up the Internet?"

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: ROFLMAO!!

No.

But in all seriousness, talking about things we 'could live without', technically, we could live without:

cars, trains, airplanes, electricity, guns, houses, horses, etc., etc., etc. Why just read your history books. ... Why there was a time where humans lived w/o books. People learned/were entertained by telling each other stories and what they learned, all based on memories.

As far as I'm concerned, things (like the internet) are just that: things. Neither good nor bad in and of themselves. Johniam made a very good point about when the railroad and stuff first coming into use, and the old timers of that day made their complaints about the 'bad things' that 'new fangled' technology was going to do. Same with cars. And every other piece of technology that came down the pike, ... until they took to it too.

Like Bob Dylan sang, "The times, they are a-changin'", and the only thing that is consistant is ... change.

Might as well get used to it. :spy:

Edited by GarthP2000

There's no denying the internet is amazing beyond anything we could have dreamed of . Why would one not want what's available on it.

It has never taken the place of reading a book for me though. It's great for 'factoids', obscure minutia (sic), and any number of practical, and fun things, but I would never read a 600 page book on a computer screen. There is nothing more relaxing or mentally stimulating than finding a good meaty book to get lost in. The book as a physical thing, holding it in your hands, turning the pages. I just can't get that from a computer.

But in all seriousness, talking about things we 'could live without', technically, we could live without:

cars, trains, airplanes, electricity, guns, houses, horses, etc., etc., etc. Why just read your history books. ... Why there was a time where humans lived w/o books. People learned/were entertained by telling each other stories and what they learned, all based on memories.

As far as I'm concerned, things (like the internet) are just that: things. Neither good nor bad in and of themselves. Johniam made a very good point about when the railroad and stuff first coming into use, and the old timers of that day made their complaints about the 'bad things' that 'new fangled' technology was going to do. Same with cars. And every other piece of technology that came down the pike, ... until they took to it too.

I think THIS (reply by Garth) is the real bottom line.

The issue for you JL, (IMO, which is certainly NOT an authority on anything) is not so much "internet addiction" as it is a matter of managing or being in control of YOUR life, which would include but not necessarily be limited to time management and personal (or self-) determination (i.e. prioritizing). Are YOU doing with your time and life what you believe you should or at least what you want to be doing?

Are you letting ANYthing -- that you want to be a higher priority in your life -- not get the amount of your attention you want it (or them) to have?

I don't think I would give up the internet altogether (speaking for myself), for a variety of reasons. Most importantly, I read news AND ANYthing about which I become curious. Access to information is FAR more quick and easy than it was "when we were kids." I wouldn't want to eliminate that from my life.

Then, besides our very human need for social interaction, there's the need (again, very human and quite legitimate) to express ourselves... to have a voice. Perhaps that's what's behind the explosion of blogs, My Space, You Tube, and message boards like this one.

Is the Internet perfect, or even "ideal". NO, of course not. But it is here (probably to stay) and it does facilitate change and the need for personal reflection and conscious prioritization.

---------

Also for me (with my pack rat tendencies) it cuts down on what would be my need for having tons of newsprint to deal with in my never ending battle with clutter.

Edited by Rocky

I could easily see myself giving up or cutting back SOME aspects of my'puter time such as the extraordinary time I spend here at the Cafe. However, the internet as a whole? No way. I have no desire to go back and live in a cave or be a hermit either. I am able to order product, purchase items, communicate with clients, family and friends, all at great savings of both time and money.

I DO read my local paper (doorstep delivered version) every morning. I do read books and articles. And contrary to a GSCAFE misconception, my wife and I enjoy time together at home and away.

My boys are grown and out of the house. One has been backpacking in Italy for 16 months, and the easiest way to get messages to him is via email which he checks a couple times a week. He does have a cellphone, but depending onwhere he is and what he is doing, I may or may not be able to reach him. Writing letters is impossible because by the time he has an address to send to, he is gone before mail can get there. (Italian postal service is very slow)

I do note however that neither of my boys have their own ISP, nor have they since they left the dorms. They rely on wireless connections on campuses as they travel, or stop in at libraries or cafes. This has provided them all the connection they need to the internet and leaves them plenty of time to pursue more physical activities.

HAP

google.com has been an EXCELLENT source to find information. I would NEVER give it up. It's easier to look up something by googling it than to pick up the darn phonebook (small print is hard to read and I refuse to get reading glasses yet). The internet is a great way to stay in touch with folks I don't call regularly, and it's a great way to share pictures with my family in a quick manner.

Give it up?? NO WAY!!

Thank you all. Very fine "input".

And so, I'm not sure I'll give it up, because I too enjoy the "Information Super Highway", which in fact it is. And as I got to thinking about it, "online banking" is a big deal to us in that we deal with a number of financial institutions that are out of state. And then there is my son and his splendid guitar playing, and the online guitar program that he uses to write music using tabliture (sp? Owait, I'll just google it). But geez, the Internet does have it's draw that does seem to be out of place at times.

One thing that I have learned here at the GSCafe is "how to argue". Yes, I have a brother with whom I am dealing concerning our family's estate. And when he sends an e-mail and says such and such, and then later denies that he said it, I just copy and paste his very words in a quote which has had a very sobering effect on him. Now where did I learn that? Politics and Tacks? About The Way? Hmmm...

And so, it would be difficult to give up our online banking as well as the way in which I use the net to look up facts and info when doing what I love to do most which is to write stories. Anyway, thanks for the input!

JL

how would i do my kid's homework ? ha ha haha h ha ha ha ha haha ha

And as you would say ExCath:

Hahahahahahahaha!

I think the internet and the computer industry has helped more kids in school, through school, and more are graduating because of the technology aspect. Making games or whatever.

Don't have any statistics but that's an informed opinion.

I mean if we had all this when I was in school I would have done better I think.

Of course, seems with every great thing there is a need for self-control and supervision of young ones with these things.

Waysider, no doubt that you are right in different parts of the country. My observations were based on the amish in this area. For years I took my horses to a fellow to be shod. I spent all day there as it was first come first serve and you never knew how many would be in line in front of you. With this particular family, there was no electricity, no phone, no modern conveniences...now I always brought him a mountain dew, and suckers for my kids to share with his kids...so he didn`t mind modern junk food ...lol

I was pregnant usually giving birth about the same time his wife did....and wore my hair in a long braid. One of the highest compliments I ever recieved was when he once said to me, joking I am sure....but never the less......*You could be one of us*...

One time I showed up and there were at least 50 buggies and hundreds of people swarming all over an enormous frame work for a barn. Apparently his had burned....it was an amazing heartwarming thing to see this community in action.

(((((RASCAL))))) I just love, Love, LOVE you and your stories!! :knuddel:

Yes, Jonny, like anything, we can go overboard with it - After leaving TWI it was real easy to ignore the outside world and spend all my time living like a hermit with the exception of online activity. It's just finding that balance, which, for some is easier than it is for others.

I've made some very dear friends online, here at at other websites - I would not trade those friends for the world and, even when I'm not online and even though I no longer participate at some of the websites, I am still in touch with those friends and hope to always be. I am, finally, expanding my world to more and more "real life" activities and friendships now and it's a good thing. :)

I will never give up my internet - there's too much value and convenience involved. I can't remember the last time I wrote a check or actually snail mailed something other than a greeting card. I love the internet! Not as much as I love Rascal and the tales from her life, but I do love the internet. :love3:

Personally,

I consider 2 inventions to date to have been enormous boons to Christians.

A) the printing press.

The printing press allowed Christians to own their own Bibles, and to exchange some information.

A Christian can read the books of others and increase learning, or write one of his own.

B) the internet.

The internet (including email, IM, chat) allows for rapid and convenient exchange of ideas and interaction

between Christian and Christian. Christians can post entire studies, and discuss subjects, and so on.

That's just discussing the Christian aspects of it....

I would not give up the internet voluntarily. What I can and have done for periods of time is give up "recreational" usage, such as visiting this and other sites that serve no purpose in my life other than to entertain me.

I use the internet for work, for personal business, for investments, for paying my bills, for getting information about business, for shopping, for pretty much everything normal you can use it for. So I see a great disadvantage in me disconnecting it altogether.

However, each person has their own life and if it is causing you more problems than it is helping, then by all means get rid of it. The internet is a tool, just like a hammer. If you become so obsessed with your silver hammer that you go around hitting people on the head with it, then it's time to get rid of your hammer.

When someone says that the internet is just one more thing to take time away from God, I always think that everything is time away from God if you think along certain lines. Books, football, fishing, anything.

I view the internet as a great tool. I can access information much faster than ever before. Before the internet I spent a lot of time at the library browsing the encyclopedias, or reading through the set I had at home, just to soak up information. I still do that, but the computer gives me the opportunity to get something now if that's when I need it.

By the way, I still read quite a bit; I often have three books going at once, as well as the Sunday NY Times (which takes me until Thursday or Friday to read!).

The piece of technology that I am of two minds about is the cell phone. The good thing about them is that people can reach you at any time. The bad thing about them is that people can reach you at any time. :evildenk:

The piece of technology that I am of two minds about is the cell phone. The good thing about them is that people can reach you at any time. The bad thing about them is that people can reach you at any time. :evildenk:

Unfortunately, cellphones have nothing on the Blackberry. My first encounter with them was in 2000, when I was working for a phone company. It was pretty shocking to see how disruptive those things were. Picture it like this -- you have a device that you get emails on. Only, your boss expects you to give immediate answers, and he has the ability to see at what time you read the email. So every time you get an email, you read it and reply. You interrupt anything at any time that you are working on because you don't want to get into trouble, making you unable to actually do any work. Whenever we would have management in a meeting and try to discuss something with them, they would always be busy on the Blackberries and our meetings would drag on until we gave up. My old boss told me that he wanted to go on vacation somewhere that would be out of range, otherwise his boss would email him the whole time and expect answers...even while on vacation. He would also complain about people on the west coast emailing him at 2:00am and expect immediate responses, then he would have to get up to be into work by 8am on the east coast. Truly, the Blackberry is a mark of the beast.

So I'm going to get one soon because I'm changing jobs. :asdf:

how would i do my kid's homework ? ha ha haha h ha ha ha ha haha ha

Gives new meaning to the algebraic command, "Solve for ex (x)." ;) :D

-----------------------------------------------

I think the internet's a marvelous tool and means of communication. So much information, good and bad, at your fingertips.

Without it, I would have never heard about all the crap and sordidness associated with TWI and its leaders. I was even thinking of going back to a fellowship just to check things out, because I missed the good times and happiness I'd experienced for most of my stay.

Then I typed in "The Way International" into a internet search engine...

Thank you, God, for Al Gore and his wonderful invention. :biglaugh:

I enjoy the internet. I work on an intranet at work, adn also have a personal business that depends heavily on the internet. I shop adn bank, keep up w/the health insurance, the 401k etc all on the net.

I also have frequent communications from folks I once heard from about once a year--cousins, aunts, college roomates. Plus I can keep in touch with one of my siblings who travels a great deal.

My kids have the games and internet access, they also do much homework on a computer, and they were doing powerpoint presentations in 6th grade etc. Being comfortable with a computer is essential nowdays. I wouldn't take it away from my kids, (except as leverage :biglaugh: ). They do alot of socializing it is true, but so did I when I was a teen--tying up the phone for hours.

Time management is always an issue. Sometimes the internet activity is cut way back. Personally, my biggest time waster is running errands and making phone calls, which can take up all of my work breaks and lunch, plus running places in the evening. If I can do it by email or internet, yes!

Why would any of your activities have to take you away from your god?