GreaseSpot Cafe

Life at College

ex10

My oldest daughter is a junior at TX A&M, and is majoring in Agricultural Leadership and Development with an emphasis in International Studies. Today was a very memorable one for her, probably one of the highlights of her 19 year old life. :dance:

Dr. Norman Borlaug was at A&M for a conference, (the Norman Borlaug Institute for International Agriculture is at A&M) and she was chosen to accompany Dr. Borlaug, to his meetings and the press events for the day. She was posed with Dr. Borlaug for all the pictures, and actually got to help set up the display of all his medals, notably the Noble Peace Prize and his Congressional Gold Medal. She was thrilled and couldn't believe how spry he is for a man in his 90's. She also got the news that she has qualified for one of the internships offered by the Institute. She still has to apply and compete to get the internship. Of course, I'm thrilled!

But I'm also a bit scared. If she does qualify for an intership, she will spend three months in either Rowanda or Uganda. As a mom, I can help but be a bit apprehensive about her traveling to the other side of creation by herself, and a third world country no less. We'll see what happens. I'm thrilled with her chosen profession and course of study, yet concerned at where it could take her. :blink:

Wow, maybe I should go post in the prayer forum. :unsure:

Anyway, I just had to share the excitement at our house. :)

Congratulations!!! THAT is wonderful!! What a great major !!!

well.... sending your kid off to a third world country could be nerve racking! But... 99.99999% of them come back... with stories to tell!!! And your daughter ALREADY has great stories to tell!!

What a great kid!

Janet

ex10,

I feel your happiness and concern. My daughter is a junior in college working on a double major of botany and science ed. She has also talked about grad studies in less than safe places. We should be so thankful that our kids are choosing worthwhile things to do with their lives and trying to make the world a better place.

Wow, to be 19 and not only know what you want to do with your life but to have the brains and the drive to do it...I'm amazed and impressed! Congrats to you and to your lovely daughter...what a wonderful opportunity. (A real opportunity...not a code word for "problem").

I would be proud and frightened. This is the kind of situation that would bring me to my knees in prayer.

Tell her to apply and go. It will be an experience that can shape and effect her for the rest of her life.

Don't worry about her safety. They don't go where there is any real danger. Living conditions are usually a lot better than what is pictured on TV.

My middle son spend the summer between high school and collage teamed with a collage student in Mexico working with a missionary. He lived with a local family. Eat two meals a day there and eat wherever the other meal. Either walked or road the bus every where. Went to other cities for work and fun. It changed his outlook on many things. It does make it scary as he is about to become engaged to a MK.

This can show your daughter thing about how its done in other parts of the world and open her eyes. The rest of the world isn't dumb, they just do it another way.

Also remember that God will watch over her.

:eusa_clap::rolleyes::eusa_clap:

Congrats to your daughter, ex10! How cool to meet a Nobel Prize winner at such a young age and get to "hang out" with him for a day. Did he have any words of wisdom or inspiration for her?

I understand your trepidation about her traveling so far away, but I'm sure God will look after her and keep her safe and make her time there worthwhile.

Oh, and here's what Wikipedia says about a "boda-boda":

Boda-Boda (or bodaboda) - originally a bicycle taxi in East Africa (from English border-border). The bicycle rider can also be called boda-boda.

All ya'll are so sweet, and put my nervous Mom heart at ease!! :wave: Thanks for lettin me brag, be exited, be anxious, and encouraged by the kind words, all at the same time.

What an awesome thing it is, to be young, (like my precious children) and have a lifetime ahead, of living a "life's dream." Thanks for sharing in my excitement. Life is so excellent.