GreaseSpot Cafe

euphemisms in the Way

penguin

I was thinking this morning-which can be dangerous :)

The Way used the term "broken fellowship" instead of sin. I appreciate the teaching that there was no such thing as big sins and little sins--but for the last decade of my involvement, we never said the word sin in reference to ourselves. I wonder if that helped shut down our conscience or allowed us to go along not being concerned about our behavior. After all, we were more than conquerors and victorious. That seemed to be the emphasis.

What are your thoughts about this? Can you think of any other words that were changed to soften the impact of the reality of what was going on? I know the Way used to ridicule those denominations who spoke of demons instead of devil spirits because they were making the devil spirits sound not as evil as they were.

"Lift" a situation/person instead of "pray". Anything to distinguish ourselves from "ordinary" Christians who just didn't have the "greatness of the Word".

I remember at one point Craigers told us to say we weren't Christian (lol- he wasn't). "Christian" is a term of derision - we were "Disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ". I remember shortly after that being in a witnessing situation, and answering "yes" when asked if I was a Christian. Afterwards, my witnessing "buddy" rebuked me strongly. "Weren't you paying attention on Corps Night! We're not Christian - WE'RE DISCIPLES!" Oh, yeah. Slipped my mind.

Later they had to back off all that "we're not a religion" talk when it started to jeopardize their tax exeption as a religious non-profit.

People didn't "die" they "fell asleep." That was fine until a waybot was speaking to someone that said their sister had just died and then got corrected... :asdf:

These aren't necessarily euphemisms, but they sure are words that we used much differently than those around us.:

Anyone not in TWI was an "unbeliever."

The "tithe" was taught - but we "abundantly shared."

Things weren't "possible" - they were "available."

Edited by doojable

"That's Riiiiigghhtt!!"

Euphemistic translation: "'cause I said so!!-----so there!

Or how about "Spiritually angry"?

Means the same thing as'p!zzed off" except it's, uhmmm, "spiritual", dontcha know?

Edited by waysider

I remember at one point Craigers told us to say we weren't Christian (lol- he wasn't). "Christian" is a term of derision - we were "Disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ". I remember shortly after that being in a witnessing situation, and answering "yes" when asked if I was a Christian. Afterwards, my witnessing "buddy" rebuked me strongly. "Weren't you paying attention on Corps Night! We're not Christian - WE'RE DISCIPLES!" Oh, yeah. Slipped my mind.

Later they had to back off all that "we're not a religion" talk when it started to jeopardize their tax exeption as a religious non-profit.

It's funny how things progress over time and how corruption spreads.

According to The Way, at one time we were Christians, then Craig pointed out that as stated above that we were Disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ. What gets me is how Craig swayed us into into accepting and believing that we were Diciples of The Way not too long after.

So logic dictates that as Disciples of The Way, they look to the Ministry as there only rule for faith and practice and no longer look to the Word 1st.( I knew this but it feels good to say it out loud :) ) As mentioned before in numerous posts, it's amazing how he/they have pushed Jesus Christ outta the picture in all but name only

Great thread, Penguin…TWI-speak is an odd way of communicating. I don't know if these qualify as euphemisms but they were my "first thought" for this thread :biglaugh: .

I'm believing for the money to take the Advanced Class.

Just renew your mind.

I quit my job because I can't think the Word there.

I'm having a real opportunity going to their Twig and would like to go to yours instead.

I'm thinking the Word of you.

I really got delivered by what you shared at Twig.

I think we should put this in a Lock Box.

What does the Word say about murmuring?

Why didn't you go with first thought?

Believe God to show you the hole in your hedge of believing.

Great thread, Penguin…TWI-speak is an odd way of communicating. I don't know if these qualify as euphemisms but they were my "first thought" for this thread :biglaugh: .

T Bone,

What do you think about defining sin as broken fellowship? Do you think that was one way we learned to "turn off" our conscience?

I think TWI might agree with you on that. Once I heard HA teaching at a ROA and he deliberately used the word 'sin' to emphasize his point. Once I heard a 9th corps reverend witness to someone and use the word 'sinner'. It sounded weird both times but was done deliberately. I don't think anybody forgot that sin exists.

As far as affecting your conscience, you can sear it with a hot iron whether you change terminology or not.

How about 'advance' instead of retreat. Or cancelled due to lack of 'response' instead of lack of interest.

T Bone,

What do you think about defining sin as broken fellowship? Do you think that was one way we learned to "turn off" our conscience?

Definitely, Penguin! Defining sin as broken fellowship tends to blur the NO TRESPASSING signs.
...The Way used the term "broken fellowship" instead of sin. I appreciate the teaching that there was no such thing as big sins and little sins--but for the last decade of my involvement, we never said the word sin in reference to ourselves. I wonder if that helped shut down our conscience or allowed us to go along not being concerned about our behavior. After all, we were more than conquerors and victorious. That seemed to be the emphasis...

Another thing that bothers me about this line of thought – is the minimizing and generalizing of sin by saying "there's no such thing as big sins and little sins." The Old Testament law specifies the severity of punishment be according to the severity of sin - "an eye for an eye a tooth for a tooth." Some may say "well, that's Old Testament law for ya" – but I tend to think a distinction of sins is noted even in the New Testament - and for a good reason!

What can be inferred from the gospel records where Jesus speaks of hell – is that punishment will be commensurate with the sins committed. Just as rewards in heaven are based on good works – so too penalties in hell are based on evil works. If all sin is the same – then why are there places in the New Testament that specify the consequences of particular sins?

I Corinthians 5:6-13 NASB

6 Your boasting is not good Do you not know that a little leaven leavens the whole lump of dough?

7 Clean out the old leaven so that you may be a new lump, just as you are in fact unleavened. For Christ our Passover also has been sacrificed.

8 Therefore let us celebrate the feast, not with old leaven, nor with the leaven of malice and wickedness, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

9 I wrote you in my letter not to associate with immoral people;

10 I did not at all mean with the immoral people of this world, or with the covetous and swindlers, or with idolaters, for then you would have to go out of the world.

11 But actually, I wrote to you not to associate with any so-called brother if he is an immoral person, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or a swindler--not even to eat with such a one.

12 For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Do you not judge those who are within the church?

13 But those who are outside, God judges. REMOVE THE WICKED MAN FROM AMONG YOURSELVES.

Galatians 5:19-21 NASB

19 Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality,

20 idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions,

21 envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Ephesians 5:5, 6 NASB

5 For this you know with certainty, that no immoral or impure person or covetous man, who is an idolater, has an inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.

6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience.

~~

It is also noteworthy in passages that address a person having a life-dominating sin - they are labeled as such: an idolater, an immoral person,a drunkard, etc. A euphemism tends to soften the impact of an idea - but we find when it comes to sin and labeling someone overcome by sin - the Bible doesn't pull any punches!

I tend to think anything that sabotages my moral compass is playing with fire. Re-defining words and obscuring clearly defined moral standards is a very risky practice.

Sorry to digress from the topic - it seems one has to sort through a lot of detail to just unravel a single TWI euphemism.

Edited by T-Bone

"Flipped out grad" - Used much in the 70's in California

"Lifeline" - instead of deadline, then changed back to deadline at a later date

The whole "Way Tree" metaphor thing, including calling "Flipped out grads" "Sticks" on the Way Tree,

WoW.

Ess-eye-tee, for speaking in tonges.

All nine all the time

T Bone,

I thought I posted this earlier... I must have pressed the wrong button...

I think that in some ways using the term "broken fellowship" was more of a brow-beating measure. If you said someone "sinned" you were speaking of something Biblically specific.

OTOH- If you told someone they were "out of fellowship" - that could be anything. It became the reason someone didn't get "blessed," the reason they got their face melted, or the reason that they didn't get the revelation that the next highest MOG wannabe got instead. (AND had told to them via a face melting...)

"I sure am blessed you made it to twig again 'cause we sure love ya."

(Hey! this believing crap really works! I've been "believing" all day you would show up.)

Oh, we're back to that "believing to receive" thread again! Sorry, it clearly jogged some horrible memories.

As did that reference to "horn of plenty". Seeing those things anywhere now really makes me queasy.

But this makes me thinK: as a symbol maybe we had it back to front. We put in at the big end and (the benefit) comes out the small end... Like so much Way stuff - a good analogy totally turned to face the opposite direction.

"I sure am blessed you made it to twig again 'cause we sure love ya."

(Hey! this believing crap really works! I've been "believing" all day you would show up.)

Let's look a little further down the road…by this time the newcomer has learned to tap into the "law of believing"…in a little episode I like to refer to as

Clash of the Titans

Baldy: I'm believing for you to come to Twig tonight and teach something from the Blue Book.

Shorty: I don't believe so.

wrgov1.jpg