GreaseSpot Cafe

Having trouble installing wireless network adaptor

Psalm 71 one

My husband just bought a "new" (rebuilt) laptop computer. We also had a new Linksys router in a box. The old one was working fine, but he bought this cuz the salesperson said it would boost his wireless connection. He always had a Poor or good reception, never "excellent" (His office is two rooms away, with a microwave in the middle room and wireless phones in each room) My hubby knows less about computers than I do, and is impatient! LOL!

He did a lot of stuff wrong in trying to install things--i.e., unplugged old router, plugged in new router, to power source, then to computers BEFORE using the install disc--on his laptop, (Not the main wired computer) which is two rooms away from where the router is. I think I have all that fixed--had to reset the cable box, and the three wired computers can get internet connection. Also, the laptop came to us with an internal wireless card, which was not a Linksys--I don't know much about that one--we uninstalled it via add/remove programs, thinking it would interfere with the Linksys. That was probably a mistake.

I'm hoping if we needed it, we can get it back via system restore?

Lessee if I can make a long story short; I've been on the phone 3 times to Linksys, trying to figure out what is going wrong. First time, we did get a connection-- ONCE. (Thankfully long enough to dl Avast antivirus!)

I have uninstalled the network card and reinstalled several times. I have the install disk for it. Each time, when it is first installed, I get the little yellow question mark at device manager telling me I need to update the driver. I have to do this while offline because i have no connection on that computer.

Once that is done, I get a gazillion warning popups telling me I have an external exception. I'm sorry I didn't write the info in the popup warning box down--these always happened while i was on the phone with the Linksys rep, and I was already having a hard time with their accent! The last phone call, the Linksys rep told me it is a problem with my computer and I am going to have to take the computer back to the guy who sold it to us, to have him install whatever it is that will make the computer recognize this notebook adaptor.

The guy we bought it from is in another state, the dad of a friend of ours--I'm hoping maybe the tech is wrong and there still may be something i can do. (like maybe I need to get it online somehow to get an even more updated driver?) The notebook adaptor is a Linksys WPC54G, the new router a Linksys WRT54GS. The computer a Gateway with Windows XP

Let me know if you need to know more of what I have done so far.

Thanks!

editing because just now, in turning on the laptop, having hardwired the puter to the router, I am getting the pop up warning box:

Wireless-G Notebook adapter v2.0 wireless network monitor

inside the box it says:

External exception E0D7363

as of right now, there are at least 25 of them and they are still popping up. Stop when i pull out the wireless card.

Edited by Psalm 71 one

• 3 weeks later...

Download the latest version of the driver from Linksys. You'll need to know the version number of the card. They have a picture that shows where to find it.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c...aypage=download