GreaseSpot Cafe

What is with men and football?

vickles

Hey, I've never understood why men love football so much. All I see are bodies running around throwing footballs around. The bodies are nice to watch but knowing these guys usually makes lots of money and think they can do anything they want to because they 'think' they have power is sickening.

So men tell me why football is so wonderful?

College Football is like heaven.

Young men doing what can't be done.

Selling out there bodies to win.

If you knew some of the play calling it makes it more fun.

offinsive defensive struggle.

Its much better with two equal teams.

LSU Tigers

Go Tigers

LSU built a 4 million dollar hut for there tiger

yes way out there

School rilvalry.

Kids like hitting things

A big stadium filled with made men fans like a blood sport

Like the greek deal putting the lions after the people gladiators

Their is a science to all the play stuff.

vickles

there is only one football

go pats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:jump:

Sox are in the series and the Pats seem to be unstopable!

My brother and I went to the Bengals game when the Pats came to Cinci. I yelled so much it took my voice almost a week to heal. #23 threw my bro and I his glove. (I think he was the one who run the kickoff for a touchdown vs Miami)

vickles, pick a team, join the fun. :biglaugh:

"But knowing these guys usually makes lots of money and think they can do anything they want to because they 'think' they have power is sickening.

No different that the movie stars on the left coast.

Why do folks pay attention to movie ratings???

Or what the actors think and espouse??

Both are ridiculous examples of adoration.

Now ---banjo pickers ---------- :D

:)

I have no clue Vickles...... Who told you it was? ........Maybe they meant the cheerleaders were wonderful :)
I can't answer for football, but if ya wanna know about NASCAR

Who's car? Is that Nas's picture there Belle? Nas what a strange name. what happened to his car?

The best way to understand any sport is to watch it regularly with someone who is familiar with it. I never could understand hockey. Never learned to skate despite growing up in MI. Watching hockey in person or on TV always looked like watching a group of amoebas in a microscope.

Then I went to a Blues game with a die hard hockey fan and this guy explained stuff to me as it was happening. Big help. Football is like a chess game; for every offensive play there's a defensive counter move, but it all happens so quick. There's a lot more women who dig pro sports now than there were a generation ago.

Whoops. This is john.

Edited by Jeaniam

I grew up with football. My dad and brothers watched it on a regular basis. Us women, girls rented a tv just so we could watch something else. I even went to football games in school.

Still don't see where the excitement is. Now basketball or baseball is a total different story. But I need to see that in real life not on the television.

Football. Friday night lights.

Yes, I buy season tickets for high school football. Believe it or not most people at our home games are seated in the reserve section with season tickets.

We changed seats this year. Last year we sat behind a guy who has only missed 3 games since he played in 58.

Small towns and high school football.

Don't care about collage or the pros. Pros are just overpaid premadonnas.

((((Vickles))))))))), :)

I have always loved Football! The Green Bay Packers are my team! We dress for the game in our jerseys each week! I guess I have always followed the game since high School. I have had many boyfriends, 4 brothers,and several nephews that have played football here! It is an exciting spirited game to follow with amazing athleticism! I Love Football! I think many Ladies do love it as well as Men!

We have at least 10 High School teams in the surrounding area and a University team here and The Badgers are our State Team. Everyone loves football for-the-most part in Wisconsin! You can't get in to a Packer Game unless you know someone with season tickets and they invite you(Rare); or someone dies and leaves you their tickets. They are sold out for years and years in advance and the waiting list usually outlives most on it!

The packers created the "Lambo Leap" now everyone in the league does it Us "Cheese Heads" are "die-hard" Packer Fans! Here in Wisconsin we are known for our sportsmanship and Team loyalty! Even in games we have lost the fan's support the Team completely...so very rarely is there any booing or walking out before the game ends!

Edited by RainbowsGirl

I was raised in Packer country too - and I've grown to know there are only two kinds of people - natural born Packer Backers and them that wish they were! LOL

We dress for Packer games too when we get together with family on Packer Sundays, which are every Sunday they have a game. That reminds me - I'll have to see if the princess needs a new jersey. This year I probably will buy some cheesehead hats - they're $35 or $40, but we're worth it!

Football? I don't know anything about it, but being from WI - it's fun without even knowing how the game really goes....

GO PACK!!!

Well you all have me there. I guess I will still have to grin and bear it..... :confused:

I have two males in my life, and one (who is my son) loves football. Where we are moving to there is a football field for the city about three blocks away. I guess high school football won't be so bad.... :cryhug_1_:

Hey, I've never understood why men love football so much.

All I see are bodies running around throwing footballs around.

The bodies are nice to watch but knowing these guys usually makes lots of money and think they can do anything they want to because they 'think' they have power is sickening.

well young vickles, the third sentence has nothing to do with it (happens in other sports and areas of society as well)...

...as to the main question, well, some things will just have to remain a mystery I guess...

Vickles:

Seriously, if you really want to know why guys love it so much, just take some time and learn some of the basics of how the game is played. It's not that hard, and at least when you can tell what "is happening" out there, you'll be able to understand it and be able to honestly say why you don't, or maybe even do like it.

Now, my wife just loves football, as does my daughter, and my three sons. But, I have carefully made sure that they (my kids) understand what is going on, and I have successfully led them into a healthy love for the Washington Redskins, and also the Denver Broncos. . My wife has already loved football from her "ute".

And as far as the "man factor" goes? Well, NFL football is a very "manly" thing. The guys pit themselves against each other and compete in speed, quickness and agility, as well as crushing brute strength. And ya know, boys are like that. Boys are many times about "fightin', effin', and foot racin' (the Three F's), and that'll probably never change. Not all boys are like that, but many many are. I think it's in our genes. And so, we like the tough sports and American Football has a whole lot of the macho things that make our blood get hot. And, there is lots of "thinking" in football, even though it may seem just like a bunch of "guys running around".

Here is a first lesson for you:

Each team gets "four chances" to move the ball ten yards. these four "chances" are called "downs". So, when it is "first down", they have ten yards to go to get another first down. If they run the ball or pass it successfully and get ten or more yards, then it is first down all over again, which means that they (the OFFENSE-the guys with the ball) get four more tries (downs) to move the ball ten yards for another first down. Many times you'll hear them say "First and ten to go!" And if they only run it or pass it and gain only three yards, you will hear or read in the subtitle deal; "Second and seven yards to go!", and so forth. But, if they don't move the ball ten yards in their first, second, and third try (now stay with me here), then they have only one last down (fourth down) to try and get that "new" first down. But, if they have a really LONG way to go towards the "touchdown line" (the very main goal of having the ball while on offense), then it is too "risky" to try for a "new" first down, and so, they "punt it". They take the ball on fourth down and they "punt it" because they were unsuccessful in acquiring a "new" first down. Heard that term "They take the ball and they punt it" before? In PFAL? The word "punt means to "kick it". They kick it way down field which is essentially, giving the other team the ball which is then their chance to go for four downs (four chances) to get a first down, and hopefully to be able to drive all the way to the "end zone" which is also a word for the "touchdown zone" which gives them six points. They at that time become the "OFFENSE", and the team that failed to "keep the ball" by getting a "new" first down goes on DEFENSE.

Now, if you are following me, you may have asked; "Why did they "punt" it, or, kick it on fourth down"? The answer to this is quite simple, really. If they tried for a "new first down" when it was fourth down and they failed to make that ten yard mark, then the other team would get the ball and they (the other team) would be very close to the "touchdown zone" (end zone) already which would give them six points, should they make it. And so, the team that failed to make the "new first down" "kicks it away" so that the other team has to start out way "deep" in their own "territory".

If you will follow these simple instructions when watching, the game will then begin to take form for you, and if you have friends, men, who insist on watching football, you will begin to understand it and enjoy it with them. And, once you begin to "get it", it's fun!

And so, hope that didn't put you to sleep. But, I want you to know, that a man who knows a woman who likes NFL Football has a friend indeed! :wave:

BELLE:

I can't answer for football, but if ya wanna know about NASCAR...... biglaugh.gif

All I can say to that is "Go #24!"

Edited by Jonny Lingo