GreaseSpot Cafe

Wasp's Nest

Cowgirl

I was out for a walk in the woods a few days ago and I came across this huge, old, totally intact, abandoned wasp's nest, it's really a cool looking nest!! Anyways, I climbed up the tree to retreive it as I though it would be pretty neat to display inside my home, well it turns out the nest wasn't quite as abandoned as I thought, cause as I was driving home I could see the wasps starting to come out of it but only 5 came out, not too scarey, I think the heat from inside my vehicle brought them out of hibernation (we've had a few chilly nites here) When I got home I put the nest inside a green garbage bag and sealed it up tight and left it inside hoping the heat would draw what's ever left in the nest and when they come out, they would suffocate in the bag (not trying to be cruel here) I really thought the nest was totally empty. Anyways to make a long story short, I would still like to display it inside my house but when I did the thing with the bag there were 3 more still alive.................so I want to know what else can I do to get rid of what's ever left and be able to hang it in my home ?

Suggestions anyone?

Cowgirl

hmm. Well.. there's always the coward's way out.. you could leave it in the bag.. until next spring, or next summer..

:biglaugh:

My old brother in law actually collected wasps and hornets for some company that used the venom to make anti-venom or something like that. Sprayed the nests with CO2 fire extinguishers.. apparently it puts the buggers to sleep..

I don't think that's the point here though. You put them to sleep, eventually they wake up..

Cowgirl,

I think you have to drowned them as wasps hibernate through the winters here in the tubes of wind chimes; mine of course. I had a similar experience as you when I had to take them down to have the deck redone. I brought them in the apartment and the next day they started coming out. First I throw them in a bucket of water to drowned them. Then, I hosed out the tightly packed with wasp tubes and they died! I suppose You can kill them with wasp spray insecticide too!

I think You can put the nest in water.

What if I sprayed the inside of a bag with wasp spray, put the nest back in the bag, put the bag on top of my dryer so that the heat will bring them out of hibernation and they would die in the bug spray ? They are a pretty fair size wasp and when you kill (squish them) them, the smell is just unbearable!!

Ha, I just checked on the net for pictures and info on the difference between a wasp and hornet's nest and I definitely have a hornets nest !! I'll try some of the ideas you GS's came up with also and see what happens...............hey I could display it in a clear plastic bag and keep the little buggers contained....NOT!!

Here's exactly what the nest looks like, size and all................................

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http...l%3Den%26sa%3DG

Edited by Cowgirl

Hey Cowgirl,

I still think you should probably drowned 'em or spray with hornet spray as hornets get pi$$ed off really easily when they per say come out of hibernation. Whatever you do, do it fast and quick! Water in all forms in nature doesn't damage the nest so go the easiest route I'd just drowned 'em!

I think you have a wasp clique there dear.......... :biglaugh: Now you have your own clique :rolleyes:

P.S. I'd use the foam spray to kill them and if you go to a floral supply they have a sealer for pods and such that should also protect the nest from falling apart.

Edited by WhiteDove

There are all stages of life in there except full adults.

When the weather or climate warms, those pupae who are close to maturity, finish maturation and emerge. This will continue to happen until all the pupae have emerged....and there is really no telling how many of them are there.

This is how Nature sets it up so that next spring, the hive is ready to go on a moment's notice. The eggs and larvae will quickly become pupae and more adults will emerge quickly.

Why am I saying this????

The few you have seen, were not hiding, but rather they were close to maturity and you just encouraged them to emerge.

The nest is lovely, and would make a great attraction to any home, but the only safe way to do that is to take it back outside, and put it in an area where the wind and rain cannot blow it apart. Let it sit undisturbed for at least 2 solid freezes over the winter. Sometime in Feb or early March it should be safe enough to bring in and enjoy it. But, first put it in the garage, and see....make sure there are no pupae getting ready to emerge.

Enjoy it!

Edited by krysilis

I was going to suggest dipping it in wax to perserve it and (hopefully) contain whatever else is in there... but then they'd probably just eat their way through the wax.

The shellac idea sounds good though... give it a try (just don't ask me to keep it in my house).

From your link Cowgirl:

Most above-ground and nearly all structural colonies are best handled by professional pest-control operators.

Call one of them in your area, tell them what you'd like to do, let them do it for you.

It might cost you a couple of bucks, but if you really want it for decoration...

Edited by Tom Strange

Last fall we had a nest in our roof. My husband (after donning protective gear made out of his motorcycle helmet, duct tape and screening material) climbed up, plugged any holes but one. He stuck a long plastic tube in the hole that let down into a bucket he filled with insecticide. The wasps for days marched down the tube to their death. Every day we emptied the bucket with hundreds of wasps in it. When the roofer this past spring ripped the old roof off he found the nest, it had to have been the size of 2 basket balls! They are cool looking. Wish I had a video of the whole thing!

Ok, no one else has said it, so I'm going to.

Please note this isn't a personal judgement on you as a person.

If you went out for a walk and found a nest in use, why not return the nest to where you found it

and let them keep your nest?

The wasps built it on their own, they weren't on your property, and they were minding their own business.

I know you're a human and all that, but would it be fair if some superintelligent alien race

(supposing one exists)

grabbed your house with you in it, and planned on killing you off to make a museum-piece of your house?

I know you're a human and all that, but would it be fair if some superintelligent alien race

(supposing one exists)

grabbed your house with you in it, and planned on killing you off to make a museum-piece of your house

?

Hmm interesting thought........I'd need to check to see if alien abduction is covered in the insurance policy. I might like like the payoff for the house. Assuming of course they shook me out like Cowgirl did.