GreaseSpot Cafe

OMEGA 3 OILS

Nottawayfer

Nope...

I eat a can of sardines for breakfast most every day. I also eat a lot of smoked salmon that I try to get wild caught so I don't need supplements. Nutrients are much better when you get them in food sources but omega 3's have been proven so beneficial that the supplements are now recommended for those who don't eat fish.

sudo

Hubby and I have started taking OMEGA 3 Fish Oil because we need more omega 3 in our diet. I read it is beneficial for high cholesterol, high triglycerides, your skin, and many other things.

Anyone have any particular experiences with them?

Yes, I do.

Have family history of heart disease and I have had high cholesterol.

Cholesterol is way down as I take zocor and eat good food (that's good for me) now.

BUT, last fall, my cholesterol check showed too low level of HDL (the good cholesterol). Now, I've been working out at the gym vigorously, at least 4 times/week, for close to two years now. All of that together SHOULD have made my good cholesterol level plenty HIGH. But it didn't... so, my doc told to take Omega 3 AND flax seed oil. I did NOT decrease my exercise, but only added the two supplements.

Cholesterol check in the spring showed excellent cholesterol levels, including the HDLs.

So, yes, I have experience with good results.

Do you have any specific questions?

I don't have specific questions. I read up on Omega 3s before I decided to take them. I have high triglycerides, but everything else in my blood tests comes out good. I just wanted to see if anyone had some specific results as a long-term supplement.

I would imagine that your Dr encouraged you regarding exercise and nutrition also (even if you're already doing well in those areas), if the problem is triglycerides... there's plenty of good info available with regard to those areas too...

Yes, I got the cut down on sugars, white flour, etc. I was also told to consume healthier fats i.e., olive oil, canola oil, etc. And yes, the exercise. I had another doctor scare me in to taking Zetia for the high triglycerides because she said she had a patient who went straight in to insulin-dependent diabetes from high triglycerides and going on a joy-ride eating vacation. She said if she would have controlled her high triglycerides, that may not have happened.

I took the Zetia for a couple of months. I didn't like the side effects. I read about the health benefits of Omega 3s and triglycerides, so I thought it might be a better option.

Yes, I got the cut down on sugars, white flour, etc. I was also told to consume healthier fats i.e., olive oil, canola oil, etc. And yes, the exercise. I had another doctor scare me in to taking Zetia for the high triglycerides because she said she had a patient who went straight in to insulin-dependent diabetes from high triglycerides and going on a joy-ride eating vacation. She said if she would have controlled her high triglycerides, that may not have happened.

I took the Zetia for a couple of months. I didn't like the side effects. I read about the health benefits of Omega 3s and triglycerides, so I thought it might be a better option.

Notta I have a hereditary problem with triglycerides. Prior to going on medication, mine went up to 4,000!!! See what the omega 3 does for you but if it doesn't bring it down enough I would recommend Crestor, (which brought mine down to 600 without the omega 3). It has been working very well for me. My sister takes both the Crestor and the Zetia, along with a third one that I can't remember the name of.

Triglicerides can negatively effect your pancreas, liver, kidneys, gallbladder - a whole host of problems.

Stay away from trans fats - eat NONE, ZERO, ZIP in trans fats. Then yes, sugar, white flour, most processed foods really, etc. Also, Alcohol will rise your triglycerides significantly and should also be reduced if not eliminated. Alcohol is VERY high in sugar.

When I shop for carb foods, I look at fiber content. If there isn't at least 3 or 4 grams of fiber per serving I won't eat it very often. That too will go a long way not only in reducing the bad foods, but in increasing the health of your heart as well as other body parts.

My mom had pancreatitis many many years ago as a result of her high triglycerides. Back then, we didn't know what we do now about the herditary issue and about the trans fats. We had one hell of a time convincing the docs my mom didn't drink. They were convinced she must be an alcholic to have triglycerides as high as hers were.

Also, if your blood sugar is an issue, add a cinnamon supplement to your vitamin list. I take it 3 times a day because I was just starting to reach a boarderline place with my blood sugar.

Edited by Abigail

I really believe my high triglycerides are a result of diet. I LOVE LOVE LOVE sweets!! I almost have a love affair with them. I know I'm sick.

Fortunately I don't have any other maladies, yet. I have changed a lot of things in my diet. I only guy whole grain pastas and breads. I really don't eat many of those items anyway. I know to watch the trans fats. I've made these changes in the last year for my health. But I'm not all the way there. Food has always been an issue for me. I've gained quite a bit of weight in the past couple of years, and my activity level went down. I carry my weight in my belly too, which I know is the worst kind of fat. I just got diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea 6 months ago, so I've been on CPAP therapy for that. My energy is coming back, but I still feel like I have a ways to go to feel 100% again. Right now, I walk the dogs for exercise. I know I need to do more. I'm just still pretty tired even though I feel better from the therapy.

I'm going to give it another month before I have the doc test my triglyceride levels again. That will help me determind if the fish oil is beneficial or not. If not, then I need to get back on the pills until I get my weight under control.

I'm seriously thinking about gastric bypass. That could be a whole thread in itself.

Notta a guy at work had Cholesterol and triglycerides that were through the roof. The doc wanted to put him on Glucophage and a host of other meds. John asked for alternatives to the drugs and the doc told him to go vegan. John already was vegetarian, but not in a healthy kind of way, wine, potato chips and Snickers bars are still vegetarian, ya know? :biglaugh: He read Eat to Live by Dr. Mark Furhman and decided to try it.

It's extreme, but it's working! In 6 weeks John has lost 30 lbs., his total cholesterol went down 35 points and some other astounding changes for such a short period of time that I can't recall off the top of my head. He says he feels better than he has in decades.

Almost thou persuadest me....

I am considering trying it, if you want, we could be our own support group. Please try everything else before seriously considering surgery - that is soooo much harder than any other changes, not to mention the dangers. My ex's Sergeant had it done before we divorced and I can tell you some first hand stories that will make you really think about how hard it is to adjust and cope.

I take two every morning. I learned to swallow quick. If you let them sit in your mouth any amount of time you get the taste in your mouth.

I have some really wonderful burps.

I never let any pill sit in my mouth.

Are you drinking hot liquid with your fish oil? I noticed if I drank them with hot liquid, I would get disgusting fish burps. If I only drink it with cold water, it doesn't happen.

lemme look at this Fuhrman diet and maybe Ill go along for the ride....

I did start walking a year ago....about 4 months - stopped for 3 then started up again in June--now run 3 miles 3x a week --usually--it takes me 45 minutes--but I sweat so something must be happening...my triglycerides were up too and I quit drinking when I became allergic to nickel 4 years ago...it sets off my skin. I have gone down 1 pant size...but have to get blood work down to know about the other... I also sleep better...but I am still a 16...

I did take Omega 3s and was taking calcium too...but was farting like crazy so I stopped....which one do you think does that?

I never let any pill sit in my mouth.

Are you drinking hot liquid with your fish oil? I noticed if I drank them with hot liquid, I would get disgusting fish burps. If I only drink it with cold water, it doesn't happen.

Yep. Hot, well luke warm coffee. I pore a cup of coffee and sip on it in the morning while I get breakfast ready.

I drink milk with Bfast. I'll see if that makes a differance.

A couple of years ago, I started using the Omega 3 caps, a couple of caps of capsicum, eliminated virtually all carbs (except high fiber) from my diet, concentrated on proteins, intensified my excersise, began consuming a lot of sardines, salmon and kippered herring...on a daily basis. This resulted in a 150 lb. weight loss and I feel better than I have since I was in my 20's.

Each morning, I make a cocktail of milk, 1 raw egg, 1 banana and a scoop of chocolate flavored (no sugar) protein supplement...I put it all in the blender with a couple ice cubes...1 for me and 1 for Andrew.

All this along with the regular exercise has benefitted Andrew and I greatly. My blood tests are all well within acceptable parameters with cholesteral at 170.

A couple of years ago, I started using the Omega 3 caps, a couple of caps of capsicum, eliminated virtually all carbs (except high fiber) from my diet, concentrated on proteins, intensified my excersise, began consuming a lot of sardines, salmon and kippered herring...on a daily basis. This resulted in a 150 lb. weight loss and I feel better than I have since I was in my 20's.

Each morning, I make a cocktail of milk, 1 raw egg, 1 banana and a scoop of chocolate flavored (no sugar) protein supplement...I put it all in the blender with a couple ice cubes...1 for me and 1 for Andrew.

All this along with the regular exercise has benefitted Andrew and I greatly. My blood tests are all well within acceptable parameters with cholesteral at 170.

YO Rocky!.... er, I mean, RonG!

My breakfast is similar, but NO raw egg or banana... and I use vanilla flavored (splenda sweetened) whey protein supplement... in skim milk... and I take potassium supplements (instead of bananas). But plenty of high fiber fruit later in the day... generally what's in season.

and I've only lost about 90 pounds so far. But might eventually get to 150.