GreaseSpot Cafe

Picnic Food

Belle

Going to a Jazz Festival this week-end with some buddies. It's the kind of thing where you bring your own chairs, beer, wine and whatnot to sit in the park and enjoy the live music.

We'd like to bring something other than the typical picnic fare of fried chicken, potato salad, etc. Preferably, since it's not really a full blown picnic, I'd like to bring "clean" finger foods that don't require much in the way of set up or clean up but something more substantial than basic cheese & crackers.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I'd buy some hard rolls at the deli (or a loaf of french or italian bread) and get some sliced meat and cheese there too. Bring along whatever condiments you like in small plastic bottles. Bring some fruit and a couple trash bags. Potato chips and cold macaroni salads always go good with sandwiches. Pickles, sliced tomatoes, sliced onions, sliced peppers all travel well in baggies. You can preslice them at home so it's simply a matter of building the sandwiches before eating. You can make punch and spike it anyway you choose - fill up a thermos or a jug.

Paper plates, paper napkins - you're good to go with an easy cleanup.

Maybe for a snack later after the meal's done, some nuts and m & m's, raisins, pretzels-type snack in baggies. Be sure to bring along plenty of bottled water - never know when you'll need some water at an event like that and you sure don't want to pay $4 or $5 a bottle!

I can't wait to hear what you end up bringing!

I think bowtwi hit it on the head -- that sounds like the perfect idea!

I don't have much too add except carrot sticks, celery sticks, brocolli, veggies....etc. with some ranch dressing (or blue cheese).

I have a recipe for spinach balls which is kind of a nice alternative to spinach dip -- I'll dig it out and you can pre make them beforehand.

This is kind of weird, but hubby and I love it -- triscuits spread with cream cheese, topped with a pepperoni slice and half a grape tomato (or small tomato slice).

I'll keep thinking.....

Bow, that does sound good. :) You just gave me an idea, given my propensity for wearing my food on my shirt - maybe I'll get pita bread so everything goes into the pocket, thereby eliminating some chance that I'll end up spilling it on me before the bands even get started.

Outfield, I LOVE spinach and would LOVE that recipe!!

Those Triscuit treats actually don't sound weird to me at all! :biglaugh: They sound great!

What about mini quiches? I take my favorite quiche recipe and make them in those mini muffin tins - or the muffin paper thingies.

Use a biscuit cutter (flutted or round) to make cut the crust. Fill about 2/3 and bake about 20 min at 350*.

You can store them in a tupperware and bring them with you. If you make lots, freeze what you don't think you'll need and heat them at your next last minute party.

Edited by doojable

These are good with a nice wine!

Mushroom Roll Ups

6-8 servings ~ 20 min 10 min prep

1 (8 ounce) package refrigerated crescent dinner rolls

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese

~desired amount~ of Fresh mushrooms sautéed in butter

1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic

1 teaspoon fresh minced onion

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Unroll crescent rolls and press two triangles together to make a rectangle. Continue for all pieces of dough.

In a bowl, combine cream cheese, drained mushrooms and garlic; mix well.

On each rectangle of dough, spread equal amounts of mixture. Roll up lengthwise and cut into 1 ' slices. Bake for 10-12 minutes.

Zucchini Nut Bread

2 loaves

3 cups sifted all purpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon baking powder

3 eggs

2 cups sugar

1 cup cooking oil

1 tablespoon vanilla

2 cups grated unpared zucchini

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

1 teaspoon flour

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Sift together plain flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and baking powder.

Beat eggs well.

Gradually add sugar and oil, beat together well.

Add vanilla and dry ingredients from above blend well.

Stir in the zucchini.

Combine walnuts and 1 tsp of flour, stir this into the batter.

Pour batter between two 2 greased (I use baking paper) 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" x 2 1/2" loaf tins.

Bake for 1 hour or till tests done (skewer poked in the middle comes out clean).

Cool in tins on racks for 10 minutes before removing from tins, cool on racks.

Italian Stuffed Mushrooms

10-12 servings

40-50 large mushrooms, destemmed (save stems )

2 cups Italian seasoned breadcrumbs

1 finely minced onion

1 large garlic clove

1 cup romano cheese

1 cup Italian parsley

mushroom stems

salt

Mix bread crumbs, onion,garlic, cheese, parsley, and stems in a food processor.

Set aside.

Fry mushroom caps in olive oil on high for a very short time, until lightly browned.

Stuff caps with bread crumb mixture, setting in a greased baking dish.

Drizzle remaining pan oil over the stuffed caps.

Season with salt.

Bake at 400 degrees until bubbly.

I just found this recipe - so I have not tried it - but it seems easy and simple and sort of picnic like - one suggestion was to use mini muffin tins:

Corn Dog Muffins

INGREDIENTS

2 (8.5 ounce) packages cornbread mix

2 tablespoons brown sugar

2 eggs

1 1/2 cups milk

1 cup grated Cheddar cheese

9 hot dogs, cut in half

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease muffin tins.

Stir together the cornbread mix and the brown sugar in a large bowl. Whisk the eggs and milk in a small bowl until smooth. Fold the eggs and cheese into the dry mixture until moistened. Spoon mixture into muffin tins until 2/3 full. Add 1 hot dog half to each muffin. (Some people said they cut up the hot dogs in smaller pieces so there was one in each bite).

Bake in a preheated oven 14 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Corn-Dog-Muffins/Detail.aspx Link for pics and reviews.

And here is my recipe for:

Spinach Nuggets

Even people who don't like spinach have eaten these at my house.

2 (10oz) pkgs. frozen chopped spinach

1 T. minced dried onion (I've omitted this before)

2 c. herb seasoned stuffing croutons (I've used chicken seasoned and think it tastes a little better)

1 c. grated Parmesaen cheese

2 beaten eggs

3 T. butter or margarine, melted

In saucepan cook spinach and dried onion according to package directions. Drain well. In bowl combine spinach mix, croutons & cheese.

Stir in eggs & melted butter. Shape into 1 -inch balls (or smaller). Place in shallow pan. Cover and freeze. Transfer to freezer storage containers. Return to freezer at serving time, place froze nuggets in shallow baking pan & bake at 375 degrees for 15-20. Makes 48 (approx.)

* If freezing step is skipped, bake less minutes.

(Bring some toothpicks for all the finger foods -- it just makes it easier to eat)

P.S. RainbowGrl reminded me of pinwheel roll ups in the snack thread. I use to take a tortilla, spread with hummus, shredded carrots (take the carrot slicer that gets the top skin off and use that so they are thin and long). Roll up and wrap in seran wrap. Refridgerate at least 2-3 hours. Slice into bite sized pinwheels.

I've used sandwich meat before too with cheese -- same deal -- just have to be careful not to use anything that will make it soggy (like pickles, tomatos...etc).

Edited by Outfield

Chef, we did not have any thing "sweet" at all tonight, but it was a good night nonetheless. :)

(((((Outfield)))))

I can not thank you enough for the Spinach Balls idea and recipe!!!!

Holy-Ka-Shmoley! I coulda sold those things for $100/10 balls tonight. They are AWESOME!!! And, as you said, even Spinach haters loved 'em!! Soooo friggin' good!!

I used real onion instead of dried, minced onion

I used the chicken & herb croutons

And they were DEEEE-LISH!!!

Next time, I think for my crowd, I will add some freshly minced garlic and cayenne pepper and they will be Ten Star on a Five Star Rating. This time, they were a Six Star on a Five Star Rating. Definitely a keeper recipe and one I already have about twenty people to send a copy to.

I took those, some "pigs in a blanket" and tabbouleh wraps... all "clean" to eat and deee=lish, but the Spinach Balls were the talk of the night.

Outfield, I think I'm addicted. :ph34r:

I picked up the stuff to make another batch tonight. Woulda made 'em last night, but went to the Doc in the Box for some drugs to fight this sinus infection I seem to have come down with.

My secretary wants to make these for her Christmas party and asked if they could be frozen two weeks ahead of time. I don't see why not, but wanted to ask your opinion. What do you think? Two weeks in the freezer?

Thanks again!

RG, I think I might make those mushrooms for my vegan friend's party. I normally buy the seafood stuffing at Publix to stuff mushrooms - it's soooo good and quick and easy, but the vegans and die-hard vegetarians don't eat seafood either, so that should please everyone.

I'm also avoiding seafood right now that doesn't come from the US and that stuffing is not made domestically. They had a story on GMA this morning about how 60% of the seafood from other countries is rejected for poison, antibiotics and other horrendous, dangerous reasons. :o

Belle - My grandmother used to make a stuffed mushroom recipe almost exactly like the one RG posted.

The only difference is that she dipped it in beaten egg and cooked them on an oiled cookie sheet for about 45 min at 350*

She used to dip the stems in egg and place them in the stuffing so they looked like "whole mushrooms again."

They're fantastic at room temperature.

My secretary wants to make these for her Christmas party and asked if they could be frozen two weeks ahead of time. I don't see why not, but wanted to ask your opinion. What do you think? Two weeks in the freezer?

I don't see why not either -- just make sure they are sealed well in a ziploc bag or container. I've never left them in the freezer more than a day, so I really don't know.

Haha.... I'm SO GLAD you like them!

Alright, I had some of those for my dinner tonight. I used freshly diced onion to the spinach when I cooked it, then added some freshly minced garlic and cayenne pepper to the mixture and, holy ka-shmoly, they are incredible! I'll be taking the rest in to the office tomorrow to share.

I'm sure I sound like a dork....or like someone with a highly addictive personality....or someone who really appreciates good food.... maybe a little of each. :confused: