GreaseSpot Cafe

Watch this only if you have a strong stomach

Sudo

Dang...... I must have one heck of an immune system!!! But no longer... I will use ONLY one time plastic cups!!!!

Thanks!!!!

Hey guys,

I would have never thought this went on in Sheraton and other name brand hotels. Click HERE!

I'm sure I'm not the only one disgusted but I've got a follow up for anyone's who's interested in what's going on in the TOP end hotels.

sudo

Wow - I don't think I have ever stayed at a hotel that didn't have only plastic cups. :redface2:

I guess that's a good thing, though.... as long as I don't think about the bedspreads, that is..... :unsure:

You know you're in a redneck hotel when you phone the front office and say, "I've got a leak in the sink."

And they say, "Go ahead!"

You know you're in a redneck hotel when you phone the front office and say, "I've got a leak in the sink."

:jump:

well, I couldn't find a hotel joke that relates that well ... but found this ... which seems like a real positive thing...

A redneck family are visiting a big city for the first time.

The father and son are in the hotel lobby when they spot an elevator.

"What's that Paw?" The boy asked.

"I ain't never did see nothin' like that in my life" Replied the father.

Seconds later an old frail woman walks in the hotel door and hobbles to the elevator. She presses the button with her cain, waits for the doors to open and gets in.

The father and son, still amazed by this contraption, continue to watch.

They hear a ping noise and the doors open again. Out steps a beautiful 20 year old busty blonde.

The father

looks at his son

and says

"Go get your Maw !"

Edited by rhino

Yeah.. time for the follow up.

Sweetpea saw it but I don't know about anyone else. What's in the follow up?? Why the way they look out for the health of their guests at four and five star hotels that charge $450 a night.. Click HERE!

Does anyone here work in the hotel business or know anyone who does? This stuff is just incredible and I was wondering how pervasive it was in the industry.

sudo

$450 per night ... WOW ... do you get clean hookars with that?... :o

but part 2 seemed the same as part one, just a couple other more expensive places ...

so bring your own glasses or bottles, ask for cleaned bedspreads and linens

Edited by rhino

OHMYGOD

Yes?

well, I couldn't find a hotel joke that relates that well ... but found this ... which seems like a real positive thing...

A redneck family are visiting a big city for the first time.

The father and son are in the hotel lobby when they spot an elevator.

"What's that Paw?" The boy asked.

"I ain't never did see nothin' like that in my life" Replied the father.

Seconds later an old frail woman walks in the hotel door and hobbles to the elevator. She presses the button with her cain, waits for the doors to open and gets in.

The father and son, still amazed by this contraption, continue to watch.

They hear a ping noise and the doors open again. Out steps a beautiful 20 year old busty blonde.

The father

looks at his son

and says

"Go get your Maw !"

I really was LOL! :dance:

That was great!

Thanks. :dance:

I guess I'm just a slob through and through.

I can't hardly work up any indignation about this.

They sorta tried to clean the glasses didn't they? Isn't that good enough?

After having stayed in Phnom Penh where a 4-star hotel means they chase most of the snakes out of your room before you enter, the idea that maybe I should rinse out my glass before using it hardly strikes fear in my heart.

Is this TV station having a dearth of controversy these days? I think maybe they're working too hard to try to stir something up.

I saw a report a few years ago about a similar type of deal, but it was in motels, maybe could be in even bigger hotels.

But anywho back to the report that I was reffering to. The reporters checked into the motels and checked out the beds, sheets, covers, matresses and also the walls with 'black lights'. What they found would make the person with the strongest constitution get sick. The reporters found bodily fluids on all of them.

Just remembering it makes me sick.

I guess I'm just a slob through and through.

I can't hardly work up any indignation about this.

They sorta tried to clean the glasses didn't they? Isn't that good enough?

After having stayed in Phnom Penh where a 4-star hotel means they chase most of the snakes out of your room before you enter, the idea that maybe I should rinse out my glass before using it hardly strikes fear in my heart.

Is this TV station having a dearth of controversy these days? I think maybe they're working too hard to try to stir something up.

LOL - pretty much with you on this one Geo...except that in the less than 4 stars they tell you the snakes are a snack on the house...no extra charge.

Does anyone here work in the hotel business or know anyone who does? This stuff is just incredible and I was wondering how pervasive it was in the industry.
Our hotel expert has already stopped by the thread and forewarned us. Maybe he/she can tell us more to be wary of.

I'm guessing that would be me (over 25 years in the business, consult for a living)... and I said (early in the thread):

yes, this stuff happens... it's not taught that way, but it happens... and it doesn't really matter what brand or level of hotel you stay in... trust me.

...and that has been proven out by part 2 as you can see

These things aren't taught, and they all have high temp dishwashers to take care of this, but the room attendants just want to get through their rooms (most are either paid by the room or an hourly wage plus a bonus for how many rooms they do). The room inspectors can't tell whether or not the glasses were replaced with washed ones, that's why the room attendants just try to make them 'look' clean. The housekeeping managers are in their office working the computers trying to turn over rooms so the front desk can sell them.

I'm thinking it's a "sweeps week" thing Geo... that's usually when the "hottest" investigative reports air...

how would you "consult" on this particular grossness tommy ?

to you folks? I'd tell you that if you must have a glass, ask at check in what type are in the room. If they're not the plastic wrapped and sealed kind, I'd stop by the restaurant and ask for however many you need... but watch them closely as they may put their fingers in them...

which brings me to a fast food joint sidetrack: I know that I'm risking them doing something to my food, but when they give you the paper cup so that you can serve yourself your soda, I've noticed more and more of the cashiers put their fingers in the cup when handing it to me... I just nicely ask "can I please have one that your fingers haven't been in?"

Ok, I've probably stayed in hotels more than most people and have learned to look out for this and other things. In addition to the plastic cups, I always check for a few things. The first is that I move the furniture, especially that around the bed as well as the bed itself. I look to see how dirty things are, and look very closely for bed bugs. I had a really bad incident with an Extended Stay America hotel with bed bugs and had to get medical attention because of all the thousands of bites on my body after sleeping there. If it's fairly clean (there is always dust, but I've found food, condoms, etc. at times) then that test is passed.

I also check the bed sheets. They should be clean, and usually you can tell by smell and sight. Another sign of bed bugs is black or grey stains on the bed sheets, but that could also be due to cigarette ashes. I also check the pillows, because it is possible that a place changed the sheets but left the pillows. Again, sight and smell are usually a good enough check.

Something else to keep in mind is that the floor is going to be nasty, even if it looks clean. You should always have your feet covered when you are walking in a hotel room. Slippers, flip flops/thongs, or at minimum socks should be worn.

It also helps to check the heat and AC, because that has been broken in about 10% of the hotels I've stayed in. This is especially important if you are staying somewhere with a radically different climate than you are used to.

I've also found things left over from other guests at hotels. Probably the most interesting was what appeared to be heroin at a high end hotel here in Houston.

As far as the primary topic of the cleanliness of the glasses and water is concerned, I suggest not drinking tap water anyway. When you travel, you should only drink bottled water, even if it is to another region of the U.S. Lots of people get sick because the water in one city has different microorganisms and chemicals than the water in their city. Bottled water, even if it is originally tap water, is usually purified in some way, so it's a safe bet.

Another travel tip that I don't follow is to eat local yogurt if you travel overseas anywhere. This tip was passed on to me by an Indian friend who said that is how people travel to India and avoid getting sick. It seems to work according to those that I've talked to and eat yogurt.

When it comes to the quality of hotels money does make a difference. While high-end hotels might have toilet water on their glass cups just like the low-end hotels, there are certain things that the extra money can provide. For example, if you're staying at a $200/night hotel, you'll likely be staying in a room frequented by other people that can afford it. If you stay in Motel 6, you're likely to stay in a room that has been used by hookers, drug addicts, and other people who might not be as clean. Additionally, a $200/night hotel can afford to change the sheets every day. At somewhere like Motel 6 they have to cut costs. If there is a problem, you will have a lot more leverage if you're paying $200/night than you would if you're at a cheap place. The response I got for my TV remote not working at a Sheraton Ambassador was a whole lot better response than I got from a hotel where a used condom was on the floor behind the nightstand.

Anyway, don't let all of this prevent you from traveling, just be safe and aware of what to look for.