GreaseSpot Cafe

A decent cup of tea...

Twinky

This is so simple but is a lost art in the US:

1. Bring fresh cold water to a rolling boil.

Reasons:

(i) Fresh water has more oxygen, makes the tea taste a little better (but if you live in a heavily chlorinated area, you might want to use water that has stood for a while, or use bottled/filtered water)

(ii) Must be a rolling boil (not just hot, or simmering) to extract all the flavor from the tea

2. Meanwhile, ideally warm a dry tea pot (especially if using a pottery tea pot).

Reasons:

(i) Tea pot means that there is plenty of space for the tea to brew/infuse so that none of the flavors are lost

(ii) Dry tea pot will mean that it is boiling water that hits the tea leaf, not cold water, extracts more flavor

(iii) Warmed tea pot will mean that tea remains hotter longer and the heat of the boiling water isn’t "lost" into the tea pot

(iv) If you are using leaf tea (ie not bag), the tea leaves will float if you don’t use boiling water.

3. Add one teaspoon leaf tea per person + 1 teaspoon "for the pot". Alternatively, use one tea bag per person but check the strength of the tea bags - you may need another one.

Reasons: will ensure a sufficiently strong brew

4. Take the pot to the kettle, not the kettle to the pot

Reason:

(i) Keeps the water at max temperature so that it is boiling when it hits the leaf.

(ii) Safety!

5. Cover the pot with tea pot lid and leave to infuse for 4-5 minutes. Cover the tea pot while you wait. Stir the pot before you pour the first cup. Tea is not ready after 30 seconds

Reasons:

(i) will draw all the flavors from the tea, not just the top note

(ii) Covering pot will ensure tea is hot when you drink it

(iii) Stirring will distribute the infusion (the tea sinks to the bottom of the water)

Serve:

With milk. Do not use cream or half-and-half as these will dull the flavors

With a slice of lemon (maybe make the tea a little weaker if you do this)

Sugar/sweetener as liked.

Comments:

• If you use a tea pot, you don’t get an insightly ring in the tea cup
  • If you must use a cup or mug, make sure it is big enough that the tea can infuse sufficiently without getting too strong.
  • When you use a different brand of tea, you may find that you need a different amount in the pot/cup
  • Please don't make a cup of tea by putting hot water in a cup, and giving it to someone together with a tea bag so that they can make their own... :doh:

So I guess that just dumping some sugar and some tea bags into a container, filling it with cold water and then puting it into the frig isn't considered making a proper cup of tea? No really...I never realized that it was so complicated. I guess you are right, at least when talking about myself, I have never made a proper cup of tea in my life...so it was a lost art. Thanks for the education. :eusa_clap:

Some after the BBQ asked about it.

It really isn't complicated, just a question of keeping everything as hot as possible.

Edited by Twinky

Mmmmm..... I love a nice cup of tea!

We went to this place in San Fran and experienced a full blown tea tasting and lesson in tea.

I bought this infusion cup and some of this jasmine tea which I enjoy every afternoon. It's like being in the midst of a jasmine garden... the smell and taste are out of this world! (it's also pretty cool how the jasmine blossom and tea leaves unravel in the hot water)

You're right, the process is as relaxing and enjoyable as actually drinking the tea. :) I consider it a mini-respite from the day.

English Breakfast tea, of course!

Common sorts available in the UK are PG Tips and Typhoo and they come in bulk packs of 240 bags and are cheap. Soooo---

----do join me in a cuppa!

This became quite popular in parts of the US in the late sixties.

At least it was where I lived.

Alas, it's popularity was fleeting.

I used to have my own pot and cups.

"Calico Blue", I think, was the pattern.

I used to use a "tea ball".

Is that cheating?

Jasmine and Orange-Clove were my favorites.

I enjoyed the aroma as much as the flavor.

There is something positive to be said for the distraction from normal activity that is required for preparation.

Excellent post, nothing like a great pot of tea.

Top of the Morning to you!!!!

Thanks Twinky! I don't have a teapot but wanted to know your opinion about bringing water to a boil and placing tea bags in boiling water and then covering with a lid and turning off the heat. Is that sort of the same technique?

Being from the USA -- we just don't value a hot cup of tea like the British, however, I can say that tea houses are being established around my area - but it's about $15 per person for cucumber sandwiches and tea. Eek! One day I will try it though. I'm sure it's the best the tea ever -- or it better be...haha!

I would like to ask the forum about Southern Sweet Tea.

Anyone have a good recipe for down home south southern sweet tea?

LOL!

Here's what I grew up on in Mississippi.

2 Lipton Family Size Tea Bags

Pot of COLD water

1 Heaping Cup of Sugar

2 Quart Pitcher

Put the tea bags into the cold water and bring to JUST BEFORE boiling. Don't let it boil. It'll get kinda foamy on top before it gets to the boiling point.

Turn the eye off and let the tea steep for a little while

In a 2 quart (that's a half a gallon, right?) pitcher add one heaping cup of sugar, add the warm tea and stir to dissolve the sugar.

THEN add whatever water is necessary to fill the rest of the pitcher.

For mint tea, add a couple of drops of peppermint extract.

Obviously, the amount of sugar can be altered to your taste, this makes traditional syrupy sweet tea.

Edited by Belle

Thanks Belle -- for some reason whenever I make sweet tea (and it's along the same lines you posted) it just never tastes that great. (sigh)

As for Twinky's advice I made some tea tonight in a pot of boiling water and kept it boiling -- added just a little sugar and let it simmer for 15 minutes. It turned out good and I'm refrigerating it for cold tea. Thanks for the advice Twinky as I use to make hot tea by placing the bag in a cup of cold water, microwaving for 2 minutes and steeping for five with a plate over the cup.......you can cringe now and call me a "bloody American." LOL

Outfield, that's a major cringe (ouch!!)

But what you can do is microwave the cold water to boiling point, and when it reaches that, then drop in the tea bag and let it steep for a few minutes (covering the cup/mug is good).

This would work for the single-cup tea bag (eg, the Lipton stuff) but if you have stronger tea, it'll get too strong OR if you remove the bag before it gets too strong, you will miss all the blend of the tea and just have the harsher notes.

• 3 weeks later...

Outfield, Enjoy!

Now if you want to go the whole hog, you get a delicate little porcelain (china) cup (not a pottery - clay) mug and sip your tea from that.

Some would say you should make the tea in a porcelain teapot (because it's very thin and therefore does not leach the heat from the beverage). (That's the reason for the lid on the tea pot, not to mention avoiding scalding spillage.)

There is the perennial argument about whether tea should be drunk with milk or lemon, or neither; and if milk, whether it should be put in before or after the tea.

Now let me just go and put the kettle on... time for a brew.

Twinky

• 1 month later...