GreaseSpot Cafe

The Voice of Offence

What The Hey

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote: Or, maybe this is just a "Figure" of Speech, in a modern biblical version which I have not heard of?

Of COURSE it's a figure of speech. Remember what VP said? "If I say the ground is dry, that's a plain statement of fact, but if I say the ground is thirsty, that's a figure of speech. It gives life, fire, vitality to the message!" I no longer agree with his conclusion that figures of speech are the holy spirit's marking as to what's important in the bible. If it's God's word then it's all important in some context, but I agree with him that in all literature, biblical or otherwise, figures of speech give spice and flavor to otherwise generic words.

I'm glad someone provided you with that "quote" for an "exit strategy". It appears your Way Corps Training has served you well!! You must tell me what rank you held on THE FARM before you resigned your commission? :)

I'll be looking forward to your next...'figure' of speech! :biglaugh:

Monsieur, Le Bump

Danny:

quote: Excited to see what Johnee has to say.

Johnee? My screen name is Johniam and my actual name is John. Back on pp. 18 and 19 of the 'Is it possible' thread, which now nestles at the very bottom of p. 2 of the About the Way forum, when you began your little spew on Oct. 22, exactly 7 weeks ago, you referred to me by name 11 times. Six of the 11 you called me Johnee or some probably marijuana induced variation of it. I didn't take it as peaceloving then. Why should I take it that way now?

You claim that you bait people in a godly way to help them see the error of their ways, but that's false. Your motive in October was to slander me; you imply that I daily delight in 'clocking women'. That's not godly, it's SLANDER! That's not hyperbole, it's SLANDER! That's not baiting for Jesus, it's SLANDER! Your only motivation for slandering me is spite. But you're not honest enough to admit it; you keep up with this lame. sniveling, weasel excuse about baiting people for Jesus, or whatever you called it.

In October I kind of blew it off. On one post I said for you to say hi to the others at the asylum for me and on another post to Doojable I said you guys all ought to take a cold shower together and clean the toxicity out of your heads. Not enough of a response for you, was it? So you stewed over it for 6 weeks and promptly responded to my first post on this thread with more of your slander; more of your venom. What can I say? I really wanted to put you in your place and I think I did.

Just in case you forgot, or are too stoned to remember right now, the post numbers on pp. 18 and 19 of the Is it possible thread are 342, 346, 351, 352, 360, 367, and 370. Someone said you were just calling a spade a spade. Nope, it was slander. If anything, you were calling a toothpick a redwood tree. Someone else said you couldn't help it cause you were raised in an environment where you just don't even think about hitting women. I don't care if you were raised by Tarzan and Jane in a treehouse, if you're civilized enough to be on the internet, then you knew you were crossing the line. You should be suspended from posting IMO.

You say that a man should never never never NEVER hit a woman. Hmm.

Deut. 25:11,12 - When men strive together one with another, and the wife of the one that draweth near for to deliver her husband out of the hand of him that smitweth him, and putteth forth her hand and taketh him by the secrets, then thou shalt cut off her hand thine eye shall not pity her

Lev. 20:10 - ...the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death

Apparently, God Almighty Himself doesn't agree with your zero tolerance policy about women. Y'know if I said something like...you should never never never say anything bad about VP... why, they'd call me a...uh...WIERWILLE WORSHIPPER! Oops, they already do that knowing full well I don't worship a dead man. So you must be a woman worshipper. That's why you're such a mess; the only thing God says you should never never never NEVER do is idolatry. In 1 Cor. 10:13 where it says with the temptation God shall provide a way to escape, it's talking about escaping idolatry; it doesn't say God will bail you out of anything if you're believing like some people think, the whole chapter is talking about idolatry.

I leave you with one final thought: first cast the redwood tree out of thine own eye, then shalt thou see clearly to cast the toothpick out of mine. Have a nice day, Daneeeee.

johnUR:

"The bible does not directly discuss vulgarity; it DOES discuss being offensive."

Actually, it discusses both:

Ephesians 4:29 (King James Version)

King James Version (KJV)

Public Domain

29Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

Ephesians 4:29 (New International Version)

New International Version (NIV)

Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society

29Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

Ephesians 4:29 (Amplified Bible)

Amplified Bible (AMP)

Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation

29Let no foul or polluting language, nor evil word nor unwholesome or worthless talk [ever] come out of your mouth, but only such [speech] as is good and beneficial to the spiritual progress of others, as is fitting to the need and the occasion, that it may be a blessing and give grace (God's favor) to those who hear it.

I didn't see your comment as accomplishing anything close to the above. My first thought was, "And you kiss your wife with that mouth?"

johnUR:

"Matt. 15:12 - Then came his disciples and said unto him, Knowest thou that the Pharisees were offended, after they heard this saying?

It doesn't say Jesus was vulgar. It doesn't say he was trying to be offensive, either, but it's clear he wasn't exactly trying to NOT offend them. Somewhere else it says Jesus called them whited sepulchres which outwardly appear white and beautiful but inwardly are full of dead men's bones. That time he WAS trying to be REALLY OFFENSIVE to them."

I personally wouldn't presume that Jesus was TRYING to be REALLY OFFENSIVE with them, nor would I use that to justify such vulgarity as what rolled off your fingertips.

Just my opinion.

~Cinder

I love it! I really do! Instead of saying something like: I'm justified because so-in-so was being a jerk to me! We get: here are bible verses or biblical referances - proving why it was okay to say what I said. I'm like Jebus! Then the classic hissy fit following the justification. You worship women because you think smacking them around it is wrong! You're so messed up! Blah blah blah! I say blah blah - because that's what it becomes a few lines in - it's painfully pathetic.

:eusa_clap:

How many times did I get to enjoy seeing such things happen over and over again in TWI? Perfect! Just a perfect performance! I think I'll wait around for the next showing actually.

It has been my experience to often speak hasty, foolish, and hurtful words. Sometimes my intentions were good and sometimes they weren't. It has been my experience to speak words that seemed vulgar, but were good for doctrine, reproof, and correction and that were appropriate in the circumstances, if only because the circumstances were extreme and needed extreme words in order for them to sink in.

My challenge is speaking gently, because I was raised in a rougher environment and speaking roughly is easy for me. I think many people (But especially men) are prone to this. There can be an emotional rush to it, once it is a habit.

Others are challenged by situations that require roughness, because they have a built in gentleness that I don't.

Either way, with God we can learn to deal with what we have to in life, especially when it requires change.

The best I know to do now is to listen to the complaint if someone that I care for is mad about what I've said. Not that I shouldn't care about anyone's opinion, but then there's sometimes someone who doesn't like what I've said and thinks that they have to win, and will for less than honest reasons object to what I've said.

Eph 4:1b, 2, &3

walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,with all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; endeavoring to keep the unity of the spirit in the bond of peace.

I KNOW WE ALL SAY THE WRONG THING SOMETIMES, LIVING THESE VERSES MAKES IT EASIER TO DEAL WITH IT.

Edited by JeffSjo

It has been my experience to speak words that seemed vulgar, but were good for doctrine, reproof, and correction and that were appropriate in the circumstances, if only because the circumstances were extreme and needed extreme words in order for them to sink in.

I'm not sure when doing something like this would be appropriate. Ever.

I'm not gentle at all. I've said horrible things - because I too - am very rough around the edges. But I never made excuses (much less biblical ones) for it and appologized.

Anyways...

When someone gets on here and is like: OMG! They are slandering my good name! What good name? John? Or some weird screen name? John1232822lolomfg for example. Oh no! All of the Johns will be able to pick this John, Jon, Johhnnneeeee wtf his name is out of the rest of them in this giant world.

If I would have said it better it would have been clear that I've said too much rough stuff and not near enough gentle stuff.

It works best for me to not justify my mistakes, especially by quoting bible. For me that seems to be jumping from being a jerk, to being dangerous.

Edited by JeffSjo

It was John who proudly said a woman needs a clocking.

Danny was merely repeating what he said. Sometimes words come back to haunt us.

No matter though, who was right or wrong, the response was way overboard.

I think, from Jeans post, its pretty obvious that John will come back with righteous indignation, reflect any blame away from him, it wasn't his fault and Danny shouldn't have started it, he started it first, nyah, nyah...

It will be interesting to see, will John man-up and acknowledge what he said was wrong, and take some personal responsibility - or not. Or will it be someone else's fault?

Well, there ya have, Sunesis. You were 100% correct in your assessment.

It's sad, really.... pathetic.

You want to talk about slander John? How's about calling Danny a stone head?

You think you know the man? You think he was raised in an environment that looked down on that behavior? You know NOTHING, bro.

Besides the Red Thread, there's another thread that runs through God's Word. It's called community. It's called family. Israel started in Egypt as a family. It left Egypt as a nation. God's covenant with Israel was not with individual believers, it was with them as a NATION.

However, God's covenant with us through Jesus Christ, is with individuals. We, as individuals, are responsible for what we say and do. We need family to help us keep our eyes on the Word, ultimately on the hope. Ever heard of telling someone they are wrong in front of two or three witnesses? Do you really want to make this about you or about us as a family?

By the way, I was raised where the F word was used to teach us the parts of speech. After all, it can be ANYTHING--noun, verb, pronoun, adjective, etc., get the picture? It's not just a "man" thing.

I was also raised in a family where my dad thought hitting a woman was a-okay. Not for adultery, not for grabbing some guy's privates, but just because he felt like it. And you know what, it didn't take scripture for me to know he was wrong. I can remember knowing he was wrong when I was merely 4 years old.

I'm not trying to change your mind about Danny, just yourself.

I'm new here - replying to this thread.

As I understand it, this is about dealing with offences? WTH the original poster had a lot to say about being hurt. I think certainly hurt we've experienced in the past can consume us, as well as the desire for justice. Although I'd like to see it myself, I have come to the conclusion that vengeance is the Lord's. Where I don't agree with the original poster is that someone can dictate to another "get over it". Lecturing a cut on your arm doesn't make it heal faster. Sleep, prayer, love, and a band aid are a better solution. Maybe this site offers some of that.

Most of the rest of the thread is about a couple people offending each other and how they deal with that?

As I understand it, this is about dealing with offences? WTH the original poster had a lot to say about being hurt. I think certainly hurt we've experienced in the past can consume us, as well as the desire for justice. Although I'd like to see it myself, I have come to the conclusion that vengeance is the Lord's. Where I don't agree with the original poster is that someone can dictate to another "get over it". Lecturing a cut on your arm doesn't make it heal faster. Sleep, prayer, love, and a band aid are a better solution. Maybe this site offers some of that.

Most of the rest of the thread is about a couple people offending each other and how they deal with that?

these things sometimes happen, after all, Greasespot Cafe is a roadside diner... and most any type is bound to show up... WELCOME, someone will be along shortly to give you something "complimentary" with your first order as a token of friendship!

the waitstaff is wonderful (but sometimes slow)!

Welcome, Darlin'!

Here's some of the lemonade made from a few of the lemons we've come across.

gallery_452_63_14748.jpg

I prefer to use 'em with salt and tequila when limes aren't available, but, ya know.... it IS a Monday night. :wink2:

First order is on the house, so I'll be by again in a few to take your order.

gallery_452_63_10195.jpg

We're kinda like family around here and, there have been not a few food fights, but it always makes for an interesting visit and usually someone learns from it.....just not necessarily those who fling the most.

quote: I'm glad someone provided you with that "quote" for an "exit strategy". It appears your Way Corps Training has served you well!! You must tell me what rank you held on THE FARM before you resigned your commission?

Gosh. I'm flattered. Rank? I was never in the corps; I was a twig leader for about 3 years and I played in music groups. I can play guitar pretty good. Played at tons of fellowships and at several weddings. Probably blessed more people with that than as a twig leader.

Am I enough of a jerk that you just assumed I was WC?

Edited by johniam

My conclusion: it's OK with God to be deliberately offensive to people if they go out of their way to provoke it.

I would conclude otherwise.

When I am deliberately offensive in a retaliatory manner, I know that I am wrong in the eyes of God and don't try to justify it. I accept it as the sin that it is and try to do better.

Your method to conclusion also explains how one might justify beating or "clocking" a woman that "provokes" it. I guess that's Ok with God too.

"She provoked me Your Honor, so I clocked her. And God is ok with that."

Yeah, Jesus offended the Pharisees with the truth of God's word, therefore it is "OK with God" to be offensively vugar or to smack women around if they " provoke" it.

Good thinking there John. You have it all figured out. Its a wonder how most of Christianity missed this little gem of truth.

VP would be proud.

Edited by Goey

quote: I'm glad someone provided you with that "quote" for an "exit strategy". It appears your Way Corps Training has served you well!! You must tell me what rank you held on THE FARM before you resigned your commission?

Gosh. I'm flattered. Rank? I was never in the corps; I was a twig leader for about 3 years and I played in music groups. I can play guitar pretty good. Played at tons of fellowships and at several weddings. Probably blessed more people with that than as a twig leader.

Am I enough of a jerk that you just assumed I was WC?

And so, my friends, there you have it, a lesson in how to launch an offensive assault without actually launching an offensive assault.

Paraphrase of the bolded area:

"If you were in the WC, you are a jerk."

Nope, never said "WC were jerks.

But that's the essence of the message, now isn't it?

I just can't understand why anyone would take offense to that. <_<

If I would have said it better it would have been clear that I've said too much rough stuff and not near enough gentle stuff.

It works best for me to not justify my mistakes, especially by quoting bible. For me that seems to be jumping from being a jerk, to being dangerous.

Ah - sorry about that. :redface: