GreaseSpot Cafe

Allow me to introduce myself

lucygoosey

btw, whitedove, do you even have children?...

i DO... and twi leadership advocated ABUSE while calling it "correction"...

it is the REASON i LEFT twi!!

because i REFUSED to follow twi's ABUSIVE child-rearing practices!!!

so stick your head in the sand some more, whitedove...

And there in may be the problem your emotions don't allow you to see. You have a problem with the way things were taught and you want to see abuse. You elevate the exceptions to be the norm, they are not. By the way in case you think I agrree with the teaching as it was , I don't, But I don't see abuse as the norm.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's pointless to talk to you, whitedove...

you invent what you want to believe...

you think my emotions are getting in the way of my vision?!?

and why did you invent this scenario?

are you more comfortable with the thought that i am overly emotional, and therefore, just can't possibly think rationally about the topic of "abusive" child-rearing practices of twi?

do you REALLY think that i have any emotional residue from an event that happened over 10 years ago... which event i have not even thought about IN YEARS!... ROFLMAO

further, you make an assumption about an event you have NO details about... just fyi, i was NOT the emotional one concerning my rejection of their "abusive practices"; THEY were!... i merely told them: "i'm not going to do THAT" and THEY became unglued (probably due to the fact that they were not used to anyone rejecting their advice, um, orders)... c'est la vie...

so regarding my "emotions", therein is NOT the problem...

peace,

jen-o

p.s. maybe you thought i was emotional because i used all caps on a couple of words (that's for EMPHASIS, whitedove... it's NOT due to emotion... in fact, when i am using my webtv, it's the only way i can emphasize anything)

p.p.s. you never did answer the question: do you have ANY children?

(as you can tell, i am on my webtv right now)

Edited by jen-o

There are quite a few "Way Kids" who post here.

Who knows better than they what it was like growing up as a "wayfer"?

And, of course, there is Christian Cloud Abraham, whose now inactive(but still accessible) web site is chock full of tidbits relating the experience.---http://www.thewritingmachine.net/ ---as well as his book that talks about what it was like for a wayfer kid to break the ties of involvement and move on.

Maybe we should forget about trying to define "the norm" and look at what was "common".

It's right in front of us if we choose to see it.

http://www.thewritingmachine.net/archives/...ght-ashbury.php

Edited by waysider

p.p.s. you never did answer the question: do you have ANY children

Not any longer he is grown and married , but he did go through the Family Corps and was not nor did he remember anyone else out of his group that were beaten almost to unconsciousnes. By the way he returned to stay for many summers after graduation didn't see that then either.

Not any longer he is grown and married , but he did go through the Family Corps and was not nor did he remember anyone else out of his group that were beaten almost to unconsciousnes. By the way he returned to stay for many summers after graduation didn't see that then either.

whitedove,

then he was very fortunate (in this category, anyway)... but that doesn't mean that other people didn't experience something else...

btw, you say that your son didn't remember anyone being "beaten to almost unconsciousness"... but does he remember anyone being beaten (as in being beaten with a wooden spoon)??

during the last roa i attended (95 or 96), i walked by a pop-up camper and heard a woman inside repeatedly hitting a baby with what sounded like a wooden spoon... it sounded like a very young baby (under a year old)... and the woman kept telling the baby to go to sleep while repeatedly hitting the baby with the spoon, upon which the baby would start crying and the cycle would start over again... quite frankly, i was horrified...

what person IN THEIR RIGHT MIND would put a small baby to sleep in a new environment in the midst of all the noise at the roa (it was about 7pm... and the camper was in a busy location)... and EXPECT the baby to just drop off to sleep... and further EXPECT that hitting the baby would get her to go to sleep faster...

i ask you, whitedove, do you consider THIS abuse?... or do you think that this is in line with "typical/common" child-rearing practices in twi??

btw, i later found out that this was the wife of my new LC... and these people advocated this style of "parenting" to the whole limb... and you know how people are expected to "follow" leadership...

[but bride has explained all of this already... i.e. why different areas had different child-rearing practices]

no one is invalidating YOUR experiences, so why do you find it necessary to invalidate the experiences of others?

peace,

jen-o

Edited by jen-o

Yes, my mom has asked forgiveness of all us 5 kids for this, but I can't tell you how many wooden spoons I had broken across my backside as a wayfer kid. Then when dad got home we got the leather. I've had no idea until reading this thread that this was a TWI endorsed method of 'correction'. As a kid, I guess I assumed everyone was disciplined that way.

lucy,

this method of "correction/discipline" is all very foreign to me...

as a kid, i was NEVER hit (and neither were my brothers and sisters)

actually, i was hit ONE time (a single slap) by my father when i was about 8-years-old...

(for messing around and pushing on the back of his knees, which caused him to lose his balance)

and it was kinda like am impulsive reaction by him ...

i ran upstairs crying...

and he IMMEDIATELY came up and apologized to me...

none of my family members are into this "hitting" thing...

and we don't hit our kids either...

i am really sorry for all the abuse that went on in twi...

peace and hugs,

jen-o

Dear Looseygoosey,

I hope that this aggresive exchange hasn't put you off.

Some people here can't even seem to let you introduce yourself or your story without raising all kinds of issues that don't seem to have anything to do with you.

I'm sure that most of us Greasespotters will be happy to simply hear you out and be supportive of you whatever it is that you've gone through.

Peace,

JEFF

whitedove,

then he was very fortunate (in this category, anyway)... but that doesn't mean that other people didn't experience something else...

btw, you say that your son didn't remember anyone being "beaten to almost unconsciousness"... but does he remember anyone being beaten (as in being beaten with a wooden spoon)??

No , he does remember kids being disciplined not beaten.

during the last roa i attended (95 or 96), i walked by a pop-up camper and heard a woman inside repeatedly hitting a baby with what sounded like a wooden spoon... it sounded like a very young baby (under a year old)... and the woman kept telling the baby to go to sleep while repeatedly hitting the baby with the spoon, upon which the baby would start crying and the cycle would start over again... quite frankly, i was horrified...

what person IN THEIR RIGHT MIND would put a small baby to sleep in a new environment in the midst of all the noise at the roa (it was about 7pm... and the camper was in a busy location)... and EXPECT the baby to just drop off to sleep... and further EXPECT that hitting the baby would get her to go to sleep faster...

i ask you, whitedove, do you consider THIS abuse?... or do you think that this is in line with "typical/common" child-rearing practices in twi??

Jen I not going to comment on a story that you heard through a camper wall which you are not clear on the details yourself, and then retold from memory some 12 years later.

btw, i later found out that this was the wife of my new LC... and these people advocated this style of "parenting" to the whole limb... and you know how people are expected to "follow" leadership...

[but bride has explained all of this already... i.e. why different areas had different child-rearing practices]

no one is invalidating YOUR experiences, so why do you find it necessary to invalidate the experiences of others?

peace,

jen-o

Dear Looseygoosey,

I hope that this aggresive exchange hasn't put you off.

Some people here can't even seem to let you introduce yourself or your story without raising all kinds of issues that don't seem to have anything to do with you.

I'm sure that most of us Greasespotters will be happy to simply hear you out and be supportive of you whatever it is that you've gone through.

Peace,

JEFF

• 5 months later...

Wow, I just found this thread. I don't spend a lot of time in New Members, perhaps I should do more.

Hey guys, don't you think that when someone new tentatively steps into the Cafe, holding out a hand in introduction, that she deserves a decent welcome? That she doesn't need to walk into an ongoing spat about who hit whom? Calm down a bit. Say hello nicely. Save the fight until she has settled down with a cup of coffee!

Hey Lucy - Hi! Excuse the local residents. Some folks spend too much time in the bar ignoring the two drink limit.

Your baptism of fire-y insults prepares you well.

Have fun, hope you find lots of new friends here.

:)