GreaseSpot Cafe

songs remembered from just one line

bulwinkl

• 1 month later...
On 5/12/2022 at 10:14 AM, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I'm not sure who "Dot" is, but you're right about the singer.  This was her biggest hit of the 70s, even above "Half Breed."

George

Dot Warner, of the Warner Brothers (and Warner Sister) of the Animaniacs.  In one cartoon, she recited those lines.

(GeorgeStGeorge quotes)

OK.  Long enough.

"Can't Get Next to You" by the Temptations.

That was the song I heard on the radio.  I couldn't help but hearing over and over again in my head "cloud nine" (for some reason). It has the similar beat (as many did) as Can't Get Next To You.

As they say, "Close but not cigar".

Your clue is Back In The USSR but I had no idea what those lyric B.O.A.C. meant.  I always heard "well you ain't seen"  What do they mean?  British something?

Edited by Human without the bean

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_in_the_U.S.S.R.

"The opening lyrics refer to a "dreadful" flight back to the USSR from Miami Beach in the United States, on board a BOAC airliner."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Overseas_Airways_Corporation

"British Overseas Airways Corporation (BOAC) was the British state-owned airline created in 1939 by the merger of Imperial Airways and British Airways Ltd." ". A 1971 Act of Parliament merged BOAC and BEA, effective 31 March 1974, forming today's British Airways.[1] For most of its history its main rival was Pan Am."

Thanks WordWolf.  I won't forget "Can't Get Next To You" again.  I took the car to the store today and the first thing that came on the radio was that song.   It's an oldies station.

I saw a werewolf drinkin' a pina colada at Trader Vic's
His hair was perfect