GreaseSpot Cafe

songs remembered from just one line

bulwinkl

Billy Joel's song  "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant"

I'm sure.  I got one so I'm going.

Get a shiver in the dark It's a raining in the park but mean time

Edited by Human without the bean

Billy Joel once said he had written a melody, but had no lyrics.  He went to dinner to his favorite Italian restaurant.  The waiter said, "Bottle of red? Bottle of white?  Whatever kind of mood you're in tonight!"   Billy Joel replied "THANK YOU!" and went on to write the song with that melody and that line, inspired by Italian restaurants. 

Meanwhile, your song is one of Dire Strait's biggest hits:  "THE SULTANS OF SWING."

4 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Billy Joel once said he had written a melody, but had no lyrics.  He went to dinner to his favorite Italian restaurant.  The waiter said, "Bottle of red? Bottle of white?  Whatever kind of mood you're in tonight!"   Billy Joel replied "THANK YOU!" and went on to write the song with that melody and that line, inspired by Italian restaurants. 

Meanwhile, your song is one of Dire Strait's biggest hits:  "THE SULTANS OF SWING."

That's pretty cool.  You're right with Sultans of Swing.

On 9/15/2022 at 2:02 AM, WordWolf said:

Next song.

"We come from the land of the ice and snow,
From the midnight sun where the hot springs flow."

7 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

The Battle of Evermore

"Would you like to ride in my beautiful balloon?  Would you like to ride in my beautiful balloon?

BZZZZZTTTT!!

This was NOT "the Battle of Evermore."   Do not pass go, do not collect $200. You may not cross the border.

8 minutes ago, WordWolf said:

"We come from the land of the ice and snow,
From the midnight sun where the hot springs flow."

7 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

The Battle of Evermore

9 minutes ago, WordWolf said:

BZZZZZTTTT!!

This was NOT "the Battle of Evermore."   Do not pass go, do not collect $200. You may not cross the border.

Rewind tape.  I must admit when I see those lyrics I draw somewhat of a blank when thinking of its title.  I thought that was the song by ~Led Zeppelin~ but I can never remember the title?   I never knew Norse mythology that well.  Is it The Halls of Valhalla or something like it?

6 hours ago, WordWolf said:

(And I dropped a clue when I hit the buzzer.)

I think I'm out of ideas WordWolf.  I even went through my Led Zeppelin collection to see if I could find something with 'border' in it .  ~Elton John~ has " Border Song" but obviously that's not it.

The word "border" does not appear in the title, but "the Border Song" isn't really that far off from the correct answer.   I mean, you could have tried a guess like "Ellis Island", but "Ellis Island" isn't the name of the song, either.   (It only makes me THINK of the name of the song.)

2 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Sometimes it pays to check the other threads.  :biglaugh:

Immigrant Song.

George

That is correct.

When you have time, check out the video of the Viking Kittens doing The Immigrant Song.   It's not hard to find, and it's worth watching at least once.

(Rather Good did that, and also had the Punk Kittens do "Fell In Love With a Girl", the White Stripes' first hit.)