GreaseSpot Cafe

songs remembered from just one line

bulwinkl

On 5/22/2021 at 7:22 PM, WordWolf said:

"MI Am the Walrus". 

WordWolf I'm a little late with this, but what was that because it was not the complete title.  Typo?

Eleanor Rigby

"She grew up in a Indiana town, had a good lookin' Mama, never was around"

I was typing in a hurry, so, yes, I ended up with a typo.  (If you rush with an international keyboard, you sometimes have typos that cluster around where you put quotation marks.)  

The current one isn't universally-known, but I happen to like it.

"MARY JANE'S LAST DANCE", by Tom Petty.      (The mention of "Indiana" in the opening line makes it easier to connect to a later line, of course.)

BTW, even for Petty, that was a weird-@$$ video.

On 5/25/2021 at 8:49 AM, GeorgeStGeorge said:

A little more than one line, just to make sure you can remember it:

"Well, gonna write a little letter
Gonna mail it to my local DJ
It's a rockin' little record
I want my jockey to play"

George

18 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

This thread has been modified somewhat but I think it's important to keep in mind the theme is Songs remembered from just one line.  Or maybe, just two.

You're right.  I should have just used one line:

"Well, gonna write a little letter, gonna mail it to my local DJ; it's a rockin' little record I want my jockey to play"

:rolleyes:  :biglaugh:

The first half might have been enough for you to recognize it.  I just didn't feel like leaving it to chance.

George

32 minutes ago, Human without the bean said:

It's a Yes song, the group Yes and I know it and I can quote many of its lines but the title escapes me.

"Come as see the show, it's a dynamo"  is one of them.

It's obvious Human "remembers" this song, so I'll call it for him and clear the round.  Besides, the title is VERY idiosyncratic (I would have taken any portion of the correct title as correct.)

The actual title of this song is "Carn Evil 9- First Impression Part TWO."

Part One starts with an instrumental, and the lyrics begin, eventually going to  "step inside, hello!  We've a most amazing show, you'll enjoy it all we know, step inside step inside."   That's why Part Two begins "Welcome BACK my friends..."

The artist is not required.  In this case, it was NOT "Yes" (nor "Yess.")  It was EMERSON, LAKE and PALMER.  It's arguably the most famous song they ever did, and arguably the most famous song off it's album, "Brain Salad Surgery." (That same album also had "Lucky Man,", which would probably be the most famous song if it wasn't this one.)

So, Human's turn!

People say I'm lazy
Dreaming my life away

I was only going to go with these lines but I put in a few more just in case.  Early 1980's this song was on nearly every radio channel playing everyday for a almost a year, after its songwriter was assassinated shortly after the song came out.

6 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Ok, I was thinking this was The Beatles, but apparently it was John Lennon solo. The title's something like "I'M JUST SITTING HERE WATCHING THE WHEELS GO ROUND AND ROUND."

(I think.)

'Watching the Wheels' yes.

6 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

While we wait I'm doing another.

I should have learned to play the guitar.  I should have learned to play them drums.

But then you might have made "MONEY FOR NOTHING" and gotten your chicks for free, like Dire Straits' song lamented.  Supposedly,  Mark K was standing behind a stranger at a display window of TVs set to MTV, when the stranger began complaining, sour grapes fashion,  about the soft life of MTV musicians.   Mark then adapted the guy's rant into the lyrics of a new song.  I can't prove that, but the specificity of the rant (the guy is a deliveryman for an appliance store) sure sounds like it came from a specific person.

On 6/4/2021 at 11:19 PM, Human without the bean said:

One of my top Tom Petty favorites "Running Down a Dream"

There is a town in North Ontario
Dream comfort memory to spare

Here's another one: 

You come on like a dream peaches and cream, lips like strawberry wine