GreaseSpot Cafe

songs remembered from just one line

bulwinkl

I got that it was a Beatles song.     *looks it up*  I've never heard this song get airplay, and I've never heard this album. 

I recognize classic rock songs that have had airplay SINCE then, not songs that only had airplay in the 60s or early 70s.  With the Beatles, I've a chance to have heard SOME of their albums, but not ALL of their albums. 

You may have not hear

3 hours ago, WordWolf said:

I've never heard this song get airplay, and I've never heard this album. 

This is because it wasn't released on a ~Beatles~ album.  A single written by John and credited to both Lennon and McCartney only by John and Paul.  George was abroad and Ringo was filming a movie.  John was so anxious to record it, he took the song to Paul and they recorded it, Paul doing drums, base guitar, piano, you know, the usual thing a genius like  Paul McCartney does, and back up vocals.  "The Ballad of John and Yoko", John had hoped, would be released after it was recorded but it held up for the release of the Abbey Road song "Get Back" in April of 1969.  "The Ballad of John and Yoko" was released as a singles collection of songs titled "Hey Jude".  The songs were never on any albums, just singles and B-sides,  "Can't Buy Me Love", "I Should Have Known Better", to name a few of them.  It's also on another compilation or ~The Blue Album  1967-1970.  Anyway, I'll post the song for you guys.

A little note this is the last song that Lennon and McCartney composed together.  Some music history I suppose.
~The Beatles~  "The Ballad of John and Yoko"

I think I've heard of this song, but am definitely not familiar enough with it, especially for this thread.

Again, we all have different tastes and backgrounds.  Songs that played nonstop in Chicago might have hardly been played at all in Miami, etc.

The main difference between this thread and "Name That Tune" is that it's okay to be challenging on the other thread (though with only four of us playing that can grind to a halt quickly).  If no one gets it in THIS thread, the POSTER hasn't done his job.  :anim-smile:

George

3 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

If no one gets it in THIS thread, the POSTER hasn't done his job.  

Or, the players are just unfamiliar with the song.  All I know was "The Ballad of John and Yoko" was an extremely popular song in the 1970's and its been played for decades.  If you didn't know it the only reason was that you were a country bumpkin.

"Remem-ber when- you ran- away and I- got on- my knees- and begged- you not- to leave- because- I'd go- berserk? Well- you left- me a-nyhow  and then- the days- got worse- and worse- and now- you see- I've gone- complete-ly out of my mind."

You probably haven't heard this song anytime recently, but you've probably heard this song some time ago.

17 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

You are right because I have heard it before but at this point all I know is, is this 'They're are Coming to Take Me Away"?  To the funny farm, where life is beautiful all the time.

That is correct!

For the curious, the artist was "Napoleon the 14th."    Your turn!