GreaseSpot Cafe

songs remembered from just one line

bulwinkl

20 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

Sorry Nathan_Jr,  but I'm not coming up with anything.

Hint: Wes Anderson is a huge fan of this band. It feels like he uses at least one of their songs in almost every one of his films, including this one.

Met a girl, fell in love, glad as I can be
Met a girl, fell in love, glad as I can be
But I think all the time, is she true to me?
Chorus - song title

I found out I was wrong, she was just two timing
I found out I was wrong, she just kept on lying
Now she tries to tell the truth, and I just can't believe
Chorus - song title

Tell me who can I turn to, just who can I believe?
Tried to put her out of my mind, she'll only cause me grief
I love that girl, whatever she's done, you know it hurts me deeply
Chorus - song title

I know she's been with other fellas, why she keep on lying?
It hurts me so when she says nothing, I really feel like dying
I ache inside every time I think, I know it's just my pride
Chorus - song title
Chorus - song title

On 12/26/2007 at 3:37 PM, bulwinkl said:

The purpose of this thread was not to stump anybody. It's purpose was to come up with a song that was so memorable that it would be recognizable from the first line. There are many songs that fit this parameter but alas the thread seems to have morphed into something else.The onus is on the poster to come up with something that is easily recognizable. it was meant as a cross between name that tune and the Nostalgia thread. I apologize if I did not make that clear before.

I thought I would check out some of the changes that have been made to this thread.  I went through the first 7 pages just to see how things got started.  bulwinki started this thread and he continued to make the point that the songs in it were "so memorable that it would be recognizable from the first line".  But things change, and several morphs have taken place since then.  I guess I'm addressing this to you Nathan_Jr since the other players are familiar with this thread.

One of those morphs is we don't always take the lyric (or clue) from the first line every time.  When I really like a song I usually can think of a couple of lines that would be easily recognizable to most who play this game.  Example: Sympathy for the Devil.  The first line is very recognizable.  "Please allow me to introduce myself".  But there is also "But what's puzzling you is the nature of my game" and so on.  Another one of those morphs has become one that if perhaps the clue isn't the most recognized then a second line would be added.  Example  ~The Animals~ Spill the Wine, "I was once out strolling one very hot summer's day
When I thought I'd lay myself down to rest"  It's easy to recognize but just to make it more recognizable we use another line.
There are only so many songs that have a lyric to them that can make the song stand out from other songs.  After what, 180 pages worth of posts, this thread fizzled out for I think almost two years.  We started it up again.  So here we are. 

Last thing in reference to the Nostalgia thing.  We all know that not everyone has the same taste in music.  I know who Wes Anderson is.  I've seen some of his movies.  Rushmore, The Grand Budapest Hotel, but I don't think I could recognize any songs from them, unless they were "Day Tripper", "Manic Monday' or "Won't Get Fooled Again".   And I would only add to this what WordWolf has already said, that lengthy lyrics are not how it's played.  Try to give the clue in one or two lines, even three if that works.  Any more than that and it would be a song for Name that Tune.

And I'm sorry Nathan_Jr, but I still don't have a clue to what the song you posted is.

Edited by Human without the bean

23 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

I thought I would check out some of the changes that have been made to this thread.  I went through the first 7 pages just to see how things got started.  bulwinki started this thread and he continued to make the point that the songs in it were "so memorable that it would be recognizable from the first line".  But things change, and several morphs have taken place since then.  I guess I'm addressing this to you Nathan_Jr since the other players are familiar with this thread.

One of those morphs is we don't always take the lyric (or clue) from the first line every time.  When I really like a song I usually can think of a couple of lines that would be easily recognizable to most who play this game.  Example: Sympathy for the Devil.  The first line is very recognizable.  "Please allow me to introduce myself".  But there is also "But what's puzzling you is the nature of my game" and so on.  Another one of those morphs has become one that if perhaps the clue isn't the most recognized then a second line would be added.  Example  ~The Animals~ Spill the Wine, "I was once out strolling one very hot summer's day
When I thought I'd lay myself down to rest"  It's easy to recognize but just to make it more recognizable we use another line.
There are only so many songs that have a lyric to them that can make the song stand out from other songs.  After what, 180 pages worth of posts, this thread fizzled out for I think almost two years.  We started it up again.  So here we are. 

Last thing in reference to the Nostalgia thing.  We all know that not everyone has the same taste in music.  I know who Wes Anderson is.  I've seen some of his movies.  Rushmore, The Grand Budapest Hotel, but I don't think I could recognize any songs from them, unless they were "Day Tripper", "Manic Monday' or "Won't Get Fooled Again".   And I would only add to this what WordWolf has already said, that lengthy lyrics are not how it's played.  Try to give the clue in one or two lines, even three if that works.  Any more than that and it would be a song for Name that Tune.

And I'm sorry Nathan_Jr, but I still don't have a clue to what the song you posted is.

This is very helpful. I get it. I think I've turned cake baking into rocket building. Apologies. I'll try one more with this guidance in mind.

"Nothin in This World Can Stop Me Worryin' Bout That Girl" - Kinks

2 hours ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Everybody listen to me
And return me my ship

Closer to Home   I like that guitar riff near the end of it.  Really cool.

Edited by Human without the bean