GreaseSpot Cafe

Bakery Style Sugar Cookie Recipe

now I see

This is no ordinary cookie!  I just made the first batch of cookies from this recipe and they came out great, just like bakery cookies. This recipe is actually from the Paradise Bakery chain. The key ingredient is the cake flour, it gives a fine grain and soft texture to the cookie.  These are like the old fashioned sugar cookies, they're best when they're rolled out extra thick.

This cookie will bake up with little color, if it browns on the edges it's probably over done, dust with granulated sugar right after they come out of the oven or ice with Royal Icing when cool. These are fabulous!

PARADISE BAKERY SUGAR COOKIES

1 cup granulated sugar

1 cup confectioners' sugar

2 cups shortening

3/4 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract

1 egg, beaten

4 1/3 cups cake flour

3/4 teaspoon baking soda

3/4 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

Sugar for decorating

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

In a medium bowl, mix together the sugars and shortening using an electric mixer. Mix on slow speed for 30 seconds, then scrape down the bowl with a spatula. Increase speed to medium and mix for 3 minutes. Slowly add vanilla extract and egg while mixing.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Gradually add the flour mixture to the mixing bowl, mixing on slow speed until just blended. Do not over mix.

Dough may be rolled out on lightly floured board or between 2 sheets of parchment paper, and cut with cookie cutters or biscuit cutters, or scooped with an ice cream scoop and placed directly on cookie sheet. If scooped, flatten with palm of hand.

Bake at 375 degrees F for 9 to 10 minutes. Cookies are done when small cracks appear. Ideally, the edges do not brown. Sprinkle liberally with granulated sugar after baking.

Makes 3 dozen cookies.

Enjoy!

• 11 months later...

Thanks((((Lifted Up )))!!!

What a great recipe; and I love that they can be rolled out thick!!!

Here is a thin and crisp similar to pie crust sugar cookie recipe I got from my sister Sharon

Sharon's Roll Out Cookies

5C. Flour Mix the dry ingredients and then cut in butter and shortening with a pastry cutter as in making a pie crust

1C. Butter

1C Crisco Shortening

1tsp Salt

2tsps Baking Powder

Beat 3 Large Eggs together well; while gradually adding 2 C. White Sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract and 1 tsp almond extract.

Then add the Sugar mixture to the Flour mixture and beat well.

Chill overnight. Roll Out thinly, Cut Out Decorate with colored sugars, and Bake at 350 degrees until lightly brown ...about 10 minutes .