GreaseSpot Cafe

Eph 6 :13-17

11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;

15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;

16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.

17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been reading and rereading this.

Now suppose the "evil"day has come to you. It is your "evil" day. Whatever it is.

It is a crisis.

Perhaps You are at the end of a gun at a home invasion

Perhaps you find yourself married to someone who beats you and you cannot leave

Or your loved one has a disease and you cannot afford to get them the care they need

Or an evil person at work is setting you up to be fired so they can have your job.

It is the "evil" day.

You need to put on the whole armor of God. Cause we cannot fight these battles as if we fight flesh and blood battles.

So, how do we practically apply these verses?

I understand the sheild of faith, I get that. I get when the doubts come that I hold up my faith and I continue to believe the Bible, with my faith in God, I do not believe the lies of the circumstances.

How does the rest of this work? How do you utilize the armor?

I know where a helmet goes. So, I claim that I am "saved" I have salvation that I am already heaven bound when the "evil" day arrives?

Please how do you personally use the armor? How do you fight in this realm with this armor?

And the LCM version of it being sports like -- was that just for him to be able to dance or is that real? Cause that makes less sense to me.

Anyone?

Edited by Dot Matrix

The whole armour began to be used in the 16th and 17th century. According to most sources and wikipedia, it is a panoply, a complete set of diverse components, the word panoply has come to refer to any complete or impressive collection.

Wrestling against things 'in our minds' we have a complete set making '7'.

The seventh being prayer, our base of walking in love.

The primary transforming factor.

Let these 7 become a part of us, walking in love.

The rest will melt away as we keep standing,

which is moving with the Holy Spirit as we let it.

If we are to 'put it on' then we have it.

Though we may not recognize these diverse components in our selves.

Yet........

Edited by cman

the armour he is speaking of was worn by the soliders who may not have been the most popular people to the new followers of christ and they were probably currupt so how does one fight evil like that?

to me this verse is pretty simple the truth would be it self "the truth" etc... he used the armour ideal because everyone knew of that then.

also to be a soldier and that is a fight etc...

the "evil day" to me is not all about today greater evil days are coming for some i believe.

Wow Dot Matrix,

Those are some big questions you're asking. What is the armor? How do we use it? How do we practically apply these verses?

I hope someone gives you an answer that meets your need and is a blessing to you.

I'll think about what little I have that I could share with you. For today I'll just say that they mean to me that if I don't want to be fooled, and that if I want to stand it'll take the whole package mixed in with plenty of mercy and grace.

Edited by JeffSjo

Yeah on the Mercy and Grace!

http://www.google.com/search?q=panoply+cha...GL_enUS235US235

http://bible.crosswalk.com/OnlineStudyBibl...amp;showtools=1

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz...ply&spell=1

A few looks at it for your consideration.

Looking at these 7 with the numerous 7's in Revelations.

It's quite enlightening.

As well as the 7th being rest in Genesis.

Prayer and Love, Love first-first love.

Ephesians 5 covers love quite extensively.

I don't think it has anything to do with a Roman soldier.

But with

truth

righteousness

the preparation of the gospel of peace

the shield of faith

helmet of salvation

the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God

Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints

They all work together and can be seen clearly set apart to better understand this panoply.

And that we may Speak to make known the mystery of the gospel.

Edited by cman

truth

So if my loins - my center, my guts carry the truth - that will help me stand in the evil day

righteousness

the preparation of the gospel of peace

the shield of faith - I get the faith thing

helmet of salvation

the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God - the combatant is the word of God "it is written, or even speaing in tongues" I can see how knowig the word ahead of time and speaking in tongues as routine will help when the evil day comes

Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints

They all work together and can be seen clearly set apart to better understand this panoply.

And that we may Speak to make known the mystery of the gospel.

This may be not much of an encouragement.. but..

maybe all we can do is just remember who we really are.

How does a slave, as in the first century Roman era, claim to be "more than a conquerer", put on the "whole armor of God"..

Not just a negative circumstance, but a negative, often bitter lifestyle. And you claim to be Christian.

You're a slave rower on a Roman ship.. the captain mercilessly beats you simply because you may be the youngest, best looking of the group.. or maybe he just doesn't like your happy face.. or maybe there is just no good reason. "They" think you are a slave, because Fate made you a slave..

I don't know if we can understand it in this culture..

I think.. the big difference between then and today.. the taskmasters have a few rules to abide by, and have to properly cross the t's and dot the i's..

God bless you Dot

Throw away all your old Way doctrine on this matter. That is exactly what we learned, Way doctrine. Ok, I can hear someone say, Dont throw out the baby with the bath water. Well, there was no baby in the Way bathwater...only religious spirits.

No one has ALL the answers, only insight. God has the answers. I will enjoy phone conversations with you on this subject

Google- Ancient Roman armor and you will see the imagery that Paul described. I like the movie Gladiator. It has accurate uniforms.

loins gird about with truth was no belt.

Put on...is preparation for battle

the actual battle is in the Spirit in prayer

verse 18 is a big key to understanding the preceding verses

The record is referring to spiritual warfare... we are led into spiritual warfare in prayer.

We just dont decide to do it.

Understand how to do spiritual warfare and you will understand the armor.

Putting on the armor is related to the topic of holiness.

Cant be living in sin and wear the armor

Looking forward to the phone

SOM

Thanks to all of you for contributing

I am in a heck of a battle right now. And I know it is wrestling against principalities, so I got out the book - the manual on how to win. And I do not get it. All these years and I still just never really got it. Funny but everyone I called and we did Eph in the corps never got it either

I will call you, son

I want to know. God thinks it is important, it is the way to win and I want to do it God's way.

There's nothing you can't handle.

And getting help is not wrong.

I'm telling ya, there's something to this panoply of God.

It's been missed and treated as if it's not a part of us.

There is a power greater then yourself...in you.

Ephesians 6:11-19 (Darby Translation)

Darby Translation (DARBY)

11Put on the panoply of God, that ye may be able to stand against the artifices of the devil:

12because our struggle is not against blood and flesh, but against principalities, against authorities, against the universal lords of this darkness, against spiritual [power] of wickedness in the heavenlies.

13For this reason take [to you] the panoply of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and, having accomplished all things, to stand.

14Stand therefore, having girt about your loins with truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness,

15and shod your feet with [the] preparation of the glad tidings of peace:

16besides all [these], having taken the shield of faith with which ye will be able to quench all the inflamed darts of the wicked one.

17Have also the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is God's word;

18praying at all seasons, with all prayer and supplication in [the] Spirit, and watching unto this very thing with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints;

19and for me in order that utterance may be given to me in [the] opening of my mouth to make known with boldness the mystery of the glad tidings,

Dot, darling.....

Here I was looking for you and found you in this thread.

First, big hug. {}. Awwww.... It's ok. I love you, remember? Please lean on my shoulder. Let me help.

I see you have been reading Ephesians and working on understanding in practical application this section. I instantly recognized from my Bullinger's studies that it is a figure of speech. In in my "literal according to usage" this section means

"don't leave home without it."

Without what?

What you ALREADY have in the new birth. Be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. We already are strong and to the degree of being strong in the power of His might. This is a reminder. Because we forget. We attempt to be strong in other things and leave this behind. Put on the whole armour..... when we compromise in our beliefs and in our standing, we are like a soldier with only part of his equipment. The wrestling verse contains things that we allow ourselves to let our guard down and leave some equipment behind. So it is restated-wherefore (what's the wherefore there for? ) because of this, don't leave home without it.

Kind of like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz with the shoes. She always had the way back to Kansas.

You've been given all things pertaining to life and godliness. Jesus gave his disciples power and authority over all devils and to cure diseases. This was before the new birth was available. But even with this, a man brought his son to Jesus, stating that I besought your disciples to cast him out and they could not. And the same power and authority within Jesus, is in you.

As for the "evil" day. Made me go back to my keys to research and my trustly Bullingers. The first use of the word "evil" is Genesis 2:17- The tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Lamsa stated this was an aramaic idiom. Ok. Evil being defined as opposite of good. Good being God's principles and guidance. Evil being a perversion (change a word, add a word, omit a word) of good. I've seen some rabbinical research where they believe the tree in the garden is only a symbol and not an actual tree. That it was simply a physical example or illustration of God explaining freedom of will- "ok, over here, look there is knowledge that is good. Or, over here, look you have knowledge that takes basic Creator principles and has a different spin on them. You pick which knowledge you want to use. You choose. Kind of like The Price is Right. Which door? Living is simply making choices. The ramifications or results follow.

The next "evil" I found was Genesis 6:5 where "man's wickedness, every inclination of the thoughts of his heard was only evil all the time". Everyone but Noah wanted to do it their own way. No one wanted the Creator's guidance or hand in their lives. They chose to do it their own way.

So one might conclude that the evil day is the day where people chose their own way and don't want God's guidance or His influence in their lives. And isn't the world increasing in accepting man's thinking decisions?

But greater is He that is in you than he who is in the world. So, in my humble, Bible researching, sifted through as much you-know-what-brain, opinion, you have the tools in you-you are genetically engineered to overcome any adversity. You have the exceeding greatness of His power. Just don't leave home without it.

I was thinking about an example of this thinking which recently came up in the news. The use of steroids in baseball. See, the idea here is more has got to be better. So we will look at what makes certain muscle groups and genetics work and find something to make it big, better. Wow. Look what we found: chemicals! Mix 'em up and now we have what we will call a drug. Performance enhancement. That's a nice term. Sounds good. Looks good. Feels good. Tastes good. Smells good. Ok, then, let's use it. Oh-oh, someone might tattle if they see only one or two players using the juice. Let's come up with a story to enlist more players. Now there's the ticket. Good. Now, no one will tattle because they all would be impeaching themselves. Honor among thieves. Oh-oh the government is getting involved. M-m-m, not me, no, never used steriods. No. That is what you were asking about, right? Steriods? Nope. Not me.

Spin doctors. No one is actually looking for the truth of the matter. They want to hear your spin.

Sorry, got off the subject. Momentarily.

Dot, hope this helps a little. If you need anything, let me know.

the Masterherbalist

Thanks Cman I will look into that

Masterherbalist my old pal - how are you my heart and gal?

I will absorb yours as well

Thanks Jeff for your responses

I sopke with Son if the Master and he had some ceel stuff to share as well

Let me take all this in.

From what I am getting, it is a lifestyle. Not when the evil day comes, something you go to the closet and blow the dust off of, but things you have been groomed and mentored in by God so that he can walk you through it.

Just like our words are our weapons the devils Words are his weapons and the trick is not to let him clobber us with his words....

That is where I am so far...

Hi Dot and God Bless,

This is a good goal for me that I like to keep in mind.

Paul lived in a place where he wasn't just shadow boxing, his words had a very real impact. Precise and powerful I think.

I read this when it was first posted and considered it. I have read over the responses and they all sound beautiful. I know the verses quoted start ell on into the chapter, but if you look at it from the beginning, Paul is re-affirming obedeince, telling them to keep the law. Which I believe is an act of love and obedience. (If you Love Jesus, keep His Commandments)

Anyway, I hold that Not One Blessed Thing in the New Testement is New. I believe Paul was talking about a specific time, using imagery from the "Old Testement" (I really hate that old and new stuff - I see it as one book - Can't have one without the other) Anyway, we are instructed to be like Jesus, right? Paul told us mimic him, because he does just what Jesus does. (I think it behooves us to really go through the Gospels and see what habits Jesus kept and try to keep them as well)

So, the following is prophecy about Jesus, in the last days, which is often referred to as a specific day. I think the verses in question are tellin us to be like Jesus, prepared, in that last Evil Day. (As I do not believe the rapture myth, this is not a problem to or for me).

Yea, truth faileth; and he that departeth from evil maketh himself a prey: and the LORD saw it, and it displeased him that there was no judgment.

IAnd he saw that there was no man, and wondered that there was no intercessor: therefore his arm brought salvation unto him; and his righteousness, it sustained him.

For he put on righteousness as a breastplate, and an helmet of salvation upon his head; and he put on the garments of vengeance for clothing, and was clad with zeal as a cloke.

According to their deeds, accordingly he will repay, fury to his adversaries, recompence to his enemies; to the islands he will repay recompence.

So shall they fear the name of the LORD from the west, and his glory from the rising of the sun. When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the LORD shall lift up a standard against him.

And the Redeemer shall come to Zion, and unto them that turn from transgression in Jacob, saith the LORD.

So, what is the practical application? Keep His COmmandments, and get ready. There is battle coming. I for one want to be the one throwing the rocks, not the one getting hit. We have to put the word in our minds, not Dr Phil or Joyce Meyer.

God first

Beloved Dot Matrix

God loves you my dear friend

its good to see you

Eph 6:11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

put on the mind of Christ the gift of holy spirit that you can with stand the lust of the fleshly ideals

Eph 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

we fight not aganst each other but against ideals so you can control your flesh in your mind

Eph 6:13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

take all the gifts and power of God's love so you can know bad ideals from good ideals as you do the right thing

Eph 6:14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;

obey the spirit by living love as you live right and just

Eph 6:15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;

make your path one of love

Eph 6:16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.

above all trust God with love so you can live by good images as you cast out the bad ones

Eph 6:17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

take the safe-ly of God's love as you fight the mind with truth of the spirit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been reading and rereading this.

Now suppose the "evil"day has come to you. It is your "evil" day. Whatever it is.

the evil day is now and it will be here until Christ's return

It is a crisis.

Perhaps You are at the end of a gun at a home invasion

pray

Perhaps you find yourself married to someone who beats you and you cannot leave

leave anyway or get the other person put in jail

Or your loved one has a disease and you cannot afford to get them the care they need

pray

Or an evil person at work is setting you up to be fired so they can have your job.

tell you boss if they want them to have your job you will look for another place to work other wise get it in the open

It is the "evil" day.

yes its here

You need to put on the whole armor of God. Cause we cannot fight these battles as if we fight flesh and blood battles.

So, how do we practically apply these verses?

its differ for each person because God is a personal God

I understand the sheild of faith, I get that. I get when the doubts come that I hold up my faith and I continue to believe the Bible, with my faith in God, I do not believe the lies of the circumstances.

good

How does the rest of this work? How do you utilize the armor?

with love and truth

I know where a helmet goes. So, I claim that I am "saved" I have salvation that I am already heaven bound when the "evil" day arrives?

heaven bound but not there yet

Please how do you personally use the armor? How do you fight in this realm with this armor?

with the gifts of holy spirit showing fruit of love

And the LCM version of it being sports like -- was that just for him to be able to dance or is that real? Cause that makes less sense to me.

that was just a show to get your money

Anyone?

hope this helps some

thank you

with love and a holy kiss blowing your way Roy

Edited by year2027

Dear Dot,

Are you still checking this thread?

Cman- kudos to you on panoply. I would like to see more detail on that.

Dot... After we spoke on the phone I got more and more interested in this thread and I would like to write things to you in "chunks" about Ephesians 6.

After I began more study in Ephesians 6, I realized that in order to get a handle on the sixth chapter, I had to go back and study the big picture.

Overview. I went to Acts 19 and read about Paul in Ephesus. Talk about revival. It happened in Ephesus. Acts 19:11 says, Now God worked unusual miracles by the hands of Paul. Verse 12 so that even handerchiefs or aprons were brought from his body to the sick, and diseases left them and the evil spirits went out of them. verses 12-16 is the record of the sons of sceva. verse 17 the name of the Lord is magnified. Verses 18-19 confession of witchcraft and book burning.

Verse 20. So the word of the Lord grew mightily and prevailed. THIS HAPPENED IN EPHESUS.

Ephesus was a huge place of idolatry and magical arts practice. Paul rolls in and with him is the demonstation of the power of God. Devils had to flee.

More to come...

Dearest Dot;

More hugs {} {}.

You are the wo-man! Allow me to remind you how awesome you are. You have a depth of heart and compassion that is uniquely yours. Just your presence is health and healing to those who know you, whether it is personally or through these threads. You are inspiring. You are uplifting. You stir joy in our hearts. You are strong and intelligent. Our lives are enriched because of you.

These qualities of yours make those without such qualities jealous. They wish they had your energy. They wish they could live like you, risen above all the mundane. They are scared and lash out in anger and pain. They want you to come to their level or below so that they had someone they could point to and say "I'm better than you". Love is like the panama canal locks which raises ships in order to get them from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific. Your love will raise any ship and its cargo to get it where it wants to go. You already have that love, that ability. Don't listen to the idle babble. It isn't true and it isn't worth your

time or the pain it inflicts upon you. Don't let the poison near your heart. The truth is that you were chosen by God to be His forever and forever. Where you live and breath, the presence of God is. There is a definite effect upon the universe because you are here.

My sister: I can truly state that I

Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;

Eph 1:17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:

Eph 1:18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,

Eph 1:19 And what [is] the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,

Eph 1:20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set [him] at his own right hand in the heavenly [places],

Eph 1:21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:

Eph 1:22 And hath put all [things] under his feet, and gave him [to be] the head over all [things] to the church,

Eph 1:23 Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

This is my prayer for you. You deserve the reminder. If you need knowledge, ask Daddy. He will show you; He will whisper in your ear. Your understanding will be enlightened. You will know. Your exercising of the mightly power at your disposal will strengthen you and reaffirm what you already know you have. You will get a glimpse each day how awesome that power is, which is within you and available for your use. The light will be bright and warming. The peace will wash over you like warm sunshine. You will remember that He provided for you a family who prays for you and stands with you

and who endeavors, like you, to live in the maximus moment. Some days we forget and temporarily get hit with the crap pies and our hearts get hurt, and our minds get discouraged. But the amount of time that we allow the hurt and discouragement can lessen and lessen as we remind ourselves of the blessings we have been given and reclaim that power and truth of who and what we are in the mind of the entity who actually means the most. He is El Shaddai. Every knee shall bow.

I love you.

the Masterherbalist

You are called of God. We have discussed your call and ministry.

Ephesians 6:11 Put on the whole armor of God that you may be able to stand against the wiles (schemes, strategies) of the devil.

The adversary knows your calling and what you will be like in the fulfillment of your calling and destiny.

The adv. has strategies against you to kill the calling. You are living through this.

Look at Paul's prayers in Ephesians.

Ephesians 1:15-23 Paul was praying for the believers in Ephesus. Remember my previous thread about the revival in Ephesus. Paul prayed for the Spirit of wisdom, revelation knowledge. This is how the believers in Ephesus outwitted the adv. their revelation through word of knowledge and word of wisdom was a greater strategy and defeated the wiles of the devil. The eyes of their understanding was enlightened and they knew the hope of their calling. Do you have hope in YOUR calling? Praise, worship God and He will give you the strategies to win in the situation you are in. Go on the offensive and your strategies from the Lord will head-off any attacks you are under.

Ephesians 3:14-21 Expect to receive HIS strength when you pray for it. Not only will you get revelation, you will understand how to apply the revelation. Glory to God. We cannot rely on our own strength or worldly knowledge to defeat Satan. Rely on the strength of God. Be confident. Move forward.

Ephesians ch. 6 featuring the armored soldier waving his funky Bible sword may actually preserve

the remnants of a Mithraic hymn, reworked by the Christian writer/editor for the purpose of attracting

adherents from the contemporary rival movement of Mithaism, which was quite popular with soldiers

at the time.

"Paul" would no doubt have been familiar with Mithraism, which was quite popular in Tarsus.

So also Marcion, - if either the actual writer or editor to "Ephesians" (but entitled "To the Laodiceans"

in the earliest known NT canon) - like Paul, lived in the area of Pontus dotted with the presence

of Mithraeums.

It would be extremely fascinating if any ancient hymns and writings devoted to Mithra were ever discovered.

I would not be the least surprised if many of us found them strikingly familiar.

Danny

Ephesians 6:11 The whole armor...Word Meanings in the NT by Robert Earle cites, Paul exhorted his readers: "Put on the whole armor of God. The verb is used regularly of putting on clothes. It may be translated to be clothed with. "Whole armor" is one word "panoplia." (You go cman). It is used metaphorically in v.11 and v. 13. and Luke 11:22, where it has a literal sense, "full armor of a heavily- armed soldier."

Paul was a Roman citizen and Roman soldiers were in plain view. He obviously understood all aspects of Roman military since he mentions warfare in other NT writings. Paul wrote by the Spirit..."Holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Spirit."

Ephesians 6:13... "withstand," greek word, anthistemi, Strongs #436, The verb suggests vigorously opposing, bravely resisting, standing face-to-face against an adversary, STANDING YOUR GROUND.

We have authority over Satan and we have spiritual weapons to withstand.

evil day...in the next post.

reading,reading and reading this

Still not really clear.

I will read it again.

And again

Looked at tha panoply not sure I get that either (in light of Eph 6)

Read all your references

What are you saying?

I am not sure at this point I understand the Bible at all... Honestly

I know God loves me

I understand prayer

Right now, nothing else. Deep breath....

The law of believeing? crap Okay, I believe. so that does not force God to do anything or we do not have a loving God - we have robo-God

The needs and wants Parallel? All sheet. I mean who can really ever get them exactly Parallel anyway? I mean, I can think I need this house, but I really want a bigger one... ya know...

or even parallel with the word - ya know? I need to be healed, God says he heals therefore I will be healed. Is it that simple or is that back to formulas?

So, now, I have a "Satan mouth," in my path, telling me evil EVERYDAY, horrible evil things which are obviously the ministry of satan as they fall under "steal kill and destroy...." I KNOW it is spiritual... I go to the armor and I am looking at it and have no idea what to do next.

Okay it is kinda a suit - cman - like an invisable suit of protection, that is cool and I get it. I speak it into existance with the words of the word- cool I can do that....

Son, now what, how do I walk into battle and win - I ask for wisdom, revelation and knowledge. perhaps in my calm doodle a fish on the ground while I wait for instructions? Okay I get that..... I can do that. Making sense..... The battle is the Lord's so therefore the win is his also...

(But what does any of that have to do with how EPH tells us to put on the armor because we do not fight a flesh and blood blood battle? I understand what you are saying and totally get it. But is that in the ever important chapter 6? OR am I taking in the whole picture of winning from the whold play book of rules?)

Is eph. just a little bit of it. This is why I do not read as I ought, I think I still have some TWI crap that blocks the brain cells

Okay, I get the standing my ground. I think. So, suppose someone heard that suicide is much easier and who would miss you anyway? I can say what, "my work is not done, Jesus will guide me home not you!"

I hold onto that which God has given me and refuse to back off, back up or give up any of the power God has given me? is htat it?

Edited by Dot Matrix