GreaseSpot Cafe

Breakfast Sausage???

Nottawayfer

I've looked for it outside of the Cincinnati area also but have never found it.

Here is a link to Glier's that might be useful if you want to buy it on-line.

http://www.goetta.com/splash.shtml

Side note: Cleveland has a product that I only know as being called "rice balogna".

It's a large ring type sausage and is served as a meal stretcher.

(or maybe as the entre, depending on your economic state.)

It's mainly stuffed with rice and has pork crumbles and spices in it.

It is somewhat along the lines of a kieshka but doesn't have as much meat.

When I was a kid, we ate lots of it with fried potatoes.. ----Thank God for ketchup! :biglaugh:

I've never found it outside of Cleveland.(and I hope I never do)

cinnamon and chocolate are suppose to be some of the spices found in Skyline chili ( a brand of Cincinnati chili). which to my way of thinking isn't really a chili but a sauce. You would not think of just having a bowl of Skyline it has to be on spaghetti or hot dogs.

Edited by bulwinkl

Yup sounds more Mexican to me also, but then again I've never been to Cinncinati.

George has the right of it from Mexico its called Mole. It's kind of a chili sauce also that is usually cooked with chicken or pork (don't know about that recipe there George) and put over rice. My mom loved it...she called it chocolate chicken.

But back on track with the thread...did you check out the prices for that sausage? Wow! Sounds good tho.

Edited by Eyesopen

respnding to the chocolate in the chili sideline

I always add unsweetened chocolate (comes individually wrapped in squares for baking) to my chili. I also use strong black coffee to increase the liquid. In my way of thinking, it is a matter of adding (2) new beans to the mix and doesn't seem odd at all.

If I'm not mistaken, the mole (pronounced Mo-Lay') sauce is made with unsweetened chocolate and peanuts or peanut butter. It's wonderful over chicken!

Gotta be careful with Mexican food, though. The things you know and love in Texas might be something totally different in California..and vice verse...and yet something nearly unrecognizable in Mexico. I learned this the hard way in Juarez one year, not to mention differences from Juarez to Acuna to Matamoros.

Bringing the post back to the subject of sausage, you must be espcially careful of chorizo. Mexican chorizo is a magnificent delicacy while Cuban chorizo is kinda like pepperoni with little flavor and chorizo from Spain is tough as jerky.