GreaseSpot Cafe

Who comes to the Cafe?

Twinky

Who we are at the Cafe  

159 members have voted

1. 1. What level did you reach with TWI?

• Ordained as clergy
    • Graduated Corps, in after graduation for more than five years
    • Graduated Corps, in for 2-5 years after graduation
    • Graduated Corps, in less than 2 years after graduation
    • Entered the Corps program, went in residence, did not graduate
    • Entered the Corps program, did not go in residence, did not graduate
    • Studied with University of Life
    • Advanced Class
    • Intermediate Class
    • Foundational Class only
    • Did not take any VPW classes but others in the WAP series
    • Never taken any Way International classes
  2. 2. What did you do for TWI?

• Went Wow
    • Fellow laborers
    • Country coordinator
    • Limb Coordinator
    • Branch Coordinator
    • Twig/household fellowship coordinator
    • Twig/household fellowship member only
    • Was not involved with TWI but a family member or friend was
    • Way Productions/music/orchestra
    • Other performing arts/dance
    • Divine Design
    • Way Builders
    • Was on staff (office)
    • Was on staff (none of above)
    • Other
  3. 3. Why did you leave?

• Was thrown out
    • Spouse was thrown out and I went with
    • Child or other relative was thrown out and I went with
    • Voluntarily - did not like what was taught
    • Voluntarily - did not like what I saw
    • Voluntarily - bored
    • Left when coordinator higher up left
    • Left when other family member decided to leave
    • Health issues
    • Financial issues
    • Other (please give info below)
    • I'm still in TWI
  4. 4. What did you do when you left?

• Moved area
    • Tried to rejoin a twig/household fellowship
    • Tried a different Christian religious organization
    • Tried a different religion
    • Didn't do anything for a long time
    • Was seriously depressed
    • Life became wonderful
    • Got a decent job
    • Got any old job, couldn't cope
    • Counselling/psychotherapy/similar
    • Other
  5. 5. How long is it since you left TWI?

• More than 20 years
    • 15-20 years
    • 10-15 years
    • 8-10 years
    • 5-8 years
    • 4-5 years
    • 3-4 years
    • 2-3 years
    • 1-2 years
    • Less than a year
    • I'm still in TWI

Thank-you for the welcome!!  Yes, I have heard from others  that TWI was not doing well in the late 1980s.  I think by being overseas, I missed a lot of the s--t that happened inTWI.  But, I was shocked when I first came to the Cafe years ago, and learned about how sick some of the people in TWI were!!  I had no idea that so many people had been so horribly abused!!  Also, I had no idea of what type of person VPW was!!  That was a real eye opener!!  Also, I had no idea of what when on at HQ!!  But, I am so thankful that I got out before all the s--t went down.  I am thankful for  having God in my life; but no one should have to suffer to "move" the Word!

On 10/25/2016 at 5:05 PM, chockfull said:

What is after TWI is wide open actually.  It's tremendous freedom.  But it is daunting to face, isn't it?  Some leave Christianity all together, others attend mainstream churches, still others assemble small fellowships.  Some start or join splinter groups with most of the doctrine intact, but more loving they say.  

From my perspective, 2 things didn't change for me after leaving TWI - 1) God and 2) Me and my perspective towards God

I have continued to function in my community, running across and fellowshipping with many different brands of Christians, Hindus, Buddhists, etc.  and learning to appreciate all of the above without the same elitist prejudicial attitude that I had being part of "God's royal exclusive household" in the Way, which in all actuality was a learned type of Westboro Baptist attitude of hate.  I have attended several churches and still do at times and found one that my family is most comfortable with to attend regularly.

Hi Chockfull,

I real like these two lines mentioned in red but can I ask you why did you decided to try with many different brands specially Hindus, Buddhists, what it's feel like. in other words you wanted to try your freedom in many different perspective? 

actually i tried also a splinter groups but not yet other churches and i'm sure with time i will find one where my family will be comfortable.

Thanks for your thoughts and contribution

Bapsy

• Upvote 1

On 10/28/2016 at 6:26 AM, Bapsy said:

Hi Chockfull,

I real like these two lines mentioned in red but can I ask you why did you decided to try with many different brands specially Hindus, Buddhists, what it's feel like. in other words you wanted to try your freedom in many different perspective? 

actually i tried also a splinter groups but not yet other churches and i'm sure with time i will find one where my family will be comfortable.

Thanks for your thoughts and contribution

Bapsy

Bapsy I didn't attend Hindu or Buddhist gatherings or ceremonies, it is just that with a less elitist attitude I found myself more readily exchanging ideas with people of different religions.  Previously those conversations had been limited because people pick up on a closed-minded attitude, one that I didn't even realize I had while in TWI.

For example, one of my Buddhist friends and I have ongoing conversations about God and Jesus, and the nature of Buddhism, which he says is just learning about yourself through observation.  It's cool to learn his perspective, and share mine.  Maybe i pick up something from the exchange too, like about being self-aware and observing, while not accepting his overall framework or perspective of the religion as my own.  Now maybe people will look at this like "what's the difference?".  I would say the difference is people being more open and willing to exchange with me.  When I was TWI door-to-door, or accosting people in malls, or in planned outreach events I never felt that way.  There was always pressure from somewhere to go for a hard sell environment.   People were a byproduct of my self-serving goal of furthering putting together a class according to planned times we needed to make our goals.  Oh, but people will say it wasn't your self-serving goal you were moving the word over the world.  Here's the key:  God moves His Word over the world through His Ways which are higher than ours.  Not through the motivated efforts of deluded followers hard selling a boring and ludicrous class offered by a gang of controlling psychopaths.  If I was successful at selling the class to people then I was drawing them in to a lifetime of control like I had experienced.  

That is a little more of the perspective and discovery I have gone through post TWI.

I'm sure all religious groups have an element of outreach and selling the idea of membership into their group, but honestly, the churches I've been drawn to lately are not like that.  They are more about rescue and genuine service.

• Upvote 2

On October 27, 2009 at 7:52 PM, chockfull said:

I tell you TWI's talent for stupidity exceeds just about any other corporation out there. With their whole treatment of the "Corps" they've managed to alienate about 95% of the people who took 4 years out of their life to go to their supposed college level training program. What other college can you attend where you are either controlled completely or ostracized? Dictated to as to who you marry?

Common sense tells you it's simply ludicrous. Spouse Corps are certainly among those mistreated. A normal rational response to this would be giving TWI the middle finger.

Very interesting topic!!  I left TWI because the Navy sent me to Italy. 

When I came back to the US, TWI had fallen on hard times.  I no longer attended TWI events, but I did attend in-home fellowships.  I had no idea of all that evil that had happened in TWI; I was sickened when I first learned of what so many of my fellow believers had endured.  Never again will I trust people the way I used to; how could "Christians" be so warped??  From what I have learned here at the GSC, TWI is almost dead.  I pray that someday that the people who were wounded during their time in TWI, will be healed, and that God will take care of those who did such evil.

• 6 months later...
On 1/11/2008 at 9:05 AM, Twinky said:

Folks, it might be interesting to find out a bit about who comes to the Cafe so if you're willing, let's ask the questions. If I missed out a relevant category, apologies, tick other and tell us about it below.

Twinky, great question!!  I left TWI because the Navy sent me to Naples, Italy for two years.(1988-1990.). Thank God for small favors!!  When I came back to the US in 1990, TWI had blown-up, and I decided to leave for good.  Thank God for the Navy!!

Think you missed something really nasty going down in the USA, Grace.  The shambles you found on your return must have been startling.

1 hour ago, Twinky said:

Think you missed something really nasty going down in the USA, Grace.  The shambles you found on your return must have been startling.

Twinky, I had no idea how much perversity, and sickness existed in TWI, until I came to the GSC.  So many women were raped, and abused by the leadership. I had no idea of what how sick, and twisted VPW, and other leaders were.  It made me so upset.  So many kids were abused; for what?  So much of our money was wasted on garbage; I thought it would be used to help fellow Christians.  I was so foolish, when I was young!!  But, I did have some good times in TWI.  However, if I had known back in 1978, what I know about TWI today, I would never have gotten involved with it.  Such an unholy, and ungodly organization.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/18/2008 at 9:08 PM, GrouchoMarxJr said:

Hypothermic brainwashing...now that paints a mind picture!...

...reminds me a little of my experience at Emporia. Maybe it's just me... but I think that running around half exhausted with people screaming at you for an entire year has a bit of a "jarring effect" on the average person...especially when they get you to believe that God is sponsering their indoctrination programs. When I left, I knew they were wrong and I never looked back...never questioned my decision to leave...and life has been a whole lot better since.

GM, it certainly has gotten better!  I met some great people in TWI, but I got so tired of having to sign people up for classes all the time.  Especially since the classes were boring!!  I heard VPW teach several times, and I thought he was boring.  I left in 1988, but heard about a lot of the garbage that Craig did, and said.  What a jerk!  And a terrible dancer!

On 10/22/2009 at 6:40 AM, Twinky said:

Nice to see this is still getting some votes.

It's good to see that less than 10% were actually thrown out.

The other 90% have left voluntarily, even if that was accompanying someone who had been thrown out. I wonder if this group has had fewer problems with adjusting to the world outside: but I think we've nearly all had adjustment issues and not being thrown out is perhaps only one less thing to deal with. For some it was a close-run thing, whether they left or were ejected.

From the more recent poll ("Who's here now?") it appears at present that we all got hooked in in the 70s or 80s, none earlier or later. Have the 90's and 00s not found the Cafe yet, or just not answered the poll?

Twinky, I had adjustment issues, but not because of TWI.  I had adjustment issues after getting out of the Navy.  However, today life is good!

On 9/2/2016 at 11:09 PM, T-Bone said:

sorry to hear about you being a victim but i'm glad you left in '89

i was a dumb facilitator for TWI - at the time of my involvement i was not aware of the abuse and exploitation at the various levels by those who loved the power they had; i am truly sorry for the fact that i supported and endorsed TWI...back then - what mattered was what classes / programs you had, what you did for the ministry, blah blah blah.

Grease Spot is a whole lot different - what matters here is that you be yourself and exercise your right to freely think what you want....and folks care for you just because you're another human being.

Word Wolf has some good advice - share your experience....maybe start a thread...if that's too intimidating try private message to someone....getting this stuff off your chest does a world of good...

T-Bone, I think it is very interesting to read about the different experiences people had in TWI.  For example, my WOW sucked!  It was the worse single year of my life.  Some people had a great year, some didn't.  I thought the AC was a waste of money; what a bunch of sheet!  Some people thought it was great.  I did have some great times in The Way, but when I left, I left for good.  I thought leaders in TWI, had it made.  Some may have, others went through hell.  So many of us had such a variety of experiences in TWI.  If I could turn the clock back, I would have left TWI years before I did.  

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...