GreaseSpot Cafe

If I Could Write a Letter to Me

Pirate1974

If you listen to country music at all, you've probably heard this song by Brad Paisley.

If you haven't heard it and want to, you can check it out here:

Letter To Me

Yeah, it's kind of hokey and corny, I admit, but it did get me to thinking.

What would I write in a letter to me?

Well, first off, I wouldn't send it to myself at 17. I'd pick age 19, and it would probably go something like this:

Hi dude,

Believe it or not, this letter is coming to you from you in the year 2008. No, the Jetsons aren't living here yet. I just want to give you a little piece of advice.

In the summer of 1972, somebody that you love more than anything else in the world is going to tell you about something that. at first, is going to sound completely innocent and harmless. I'm sure you know who I'm talking about and what she's going to tell you about is a Christian group that's going to sound like Campus Crusade or something. Do not be fooled. Do everything you possibly can not to get involved in this mess and do everything you possibly can to get her out of it. If you don't try that, you'll still be kicking yourself about it 36 years later.

Trust your first impressions on this thing because they're absolutely correct. The buffoon who runs it, who is touted as the Man of God for our Time, really is the Flim-Flam Man. If you don't run the other way, in about six months, you'll find yourself sitting on a hard metal chair in a freezing cold room watching this bozo lecture on his own version of the Bible and you'll pay your hard-earned money for the privilege. I know you find that hard to believe now, but you'll do it to please her and to become one of the "in crowd." If you don't, every question you ask will be answered with, "You'll have to take the class to learn about that." I know it sounds like joining the Sigma Chi house, only you don't get a pin and there are no keg parties.

I know what you're thinking - you love her so much that you'd shave your head and sell flowers at the airport with the Hare Krishna's if she asked you to, but this bunch is not only going to hurt you, but it's going to hurt her in ways you can't even imagine yet. That blind loyalty is going to lead to you spending the summer of 1974 in a crummy apartment in a crime-infested area of Charlotte trying to get to sleep at night while the married couple you live with expresses their affection for each other on the other side of the carboard-thin wall. Don't ask me why because you wouldn't believe me if I told you.

I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea. This is going to ruin your relationship and you won't know why at the time, and you won't really know what happened until 20 years after the fact. You'll still be friends, sort of, and talk to each other now and then in the future, but there's always going to be an empty place in your heart that won't ever really be filled. Get her out before it's too late.

By the way, don't major in Psychology. It's a complete waste of time.

See you in the funny papers.

Oh, well. If only...

what would I write to myself..

:biglaugh:

well..

1. Finish college you dumbass..

2. You'd better show up in Michigan in 1977. Meet so and so and have the two wonderful kids you ended up with.. somehow.

It's too hard. I'd have to somehow do all of the good things I ended up doing.. while avoiding the ......

I dunno. If it was just me.. I could think of dozens of better sceneraios.. but add people to the equation.. and it all doesn't really seem to make a lot of difference..

:)

I dunno.. If I didn't take some damn fool bible class in 1974..

If I didn't put up with a bunch of hooey..

If I didn't go wow in 77..

if I didn't end up with these two kids..

perhaps things would be different.

It's just.. they are SO wonderful.. was it all worth it? would I consciously undo it all? No.. never.

even if I knew what kinda crap was really going on the inner circle..

perhaps I'd scare the hell out of them.. with stuff that nobody else living knew..

but as far as my PERSONAL destiny is concerned.. I wouldn't touch it..

sound strange?

I dunno.. I think that "we" are connected.. past and future..

there have been a few times.. I really think when it's REALLY mattered.. I've listened to the voice of the guy from the future

:)

It just takes something pretty.. what's the word..

serious.. for some clueless moron walking through life, to pay some real attention to..

but as far as my PERSONAL destiny is concerned.. I wouldn't touch it..

Maybe that's the key to hearing the voice of the guy from the past. To know of some pretty vile crap that's coming.. yet not to do anything to intervene..

even if you know what's coming.. you are forbidden to become involved..

sheesh. I wish people wouldn't start threads like this..

Edited by Mr. Hammeroni

The letter to myself is sent to 1974 just before I took PFAL:

Here's a bit of friendly advice from your future self. Don't get big headed and think all those years of reading comics and sci-fi books will pay off by inspiring you to invent a time machine. This message is coming to you from you - courtesy of a pirate who frequents a greasy café. Without getting too technical, this Keith Richards of a buccaneer has figured out a way of reconfiguring the flux capacitor in Davey Jones' Locker - whereby any document placed therein [be it treasure map, investment tip, movie review, etc.] is redirected in the space/time continuum.

It's not my style to play God and tell anyone how to live life. I just want to say – don't fall asleep at the wheel. What I mean by that is don't turn your brain off as you journey through life. There is so much uncertainty in life – but your faith and curiosity are great resources – so don't leave them behind in your travels. And sometimes it might be wise to ask yourself "Is it time for me to change the road I'm on?"

You're about to take a class called Power For Abundant Living. Though I am tempted to describe the hardships that befall the gullible – I will refrain from doing so – since I know the sense of adventure in a young man can make reason take a back seat.

I'm not telling you to make any drastic changes in your plans. I would not dream of denying you all the experiences, the people who you will touch and those who will touch you, and especially since while in this group you will meet someone special who will experience it all with you – she will become your wife and remain your closest friend.

This is what I was getting at earlier – you will get more out of your experiences and will have more to offer others the more you put your mind into it. Engage every aspect of your mind…So I leave you with some simple advice, please take it to heart: Don't absorb information – instead, analyze it. Check out all the details for yourself. Don't keep emotions pent up and hold on to the Golden Rule.

Geo,

DON"T sell the farm! DON"T go W.O.W.! Get out of that insipid, pathetic little cult!

Spend more time with those generous girls of your youth. Work smarter not harder. Invest a little of that money. And, above all, realize that Marriage ISN"T a lifetime deal, get over it...

Oh, and don't worry about your enemies. It's your "friends" that will cause you the most harm...

Dooj, thanks SO MUCH for posting that song-and-dance routine from Godspell!

I loved that play. I even got a bunch of medical WOW's to see it at Butler University.

Bit of irony in the last scene, though. "Yes, it's all for the best" from the top of one of the WTC towers. But, ya know, there will come a day....

Now for my letter, circa 1975:

Dear WG,

See that guy in the tank top who is walking through the garden singing, "I've got the love of Jesus?" He is gonna be the best husband for you you could ever imagine.

Oh, and, don't worry so much. God really does love you and He will take care of you in unexpected ways.

Love,

WG

this whole thread reminds me of a jewish tradition of writing a "vidui"...or "deathbed confession"

and seems to show that our intuition is alive and well

a basic vidui includes the following:

• Address to whom I am presenting myself

• Who I am; the accomplishments of which I am proud; the relationships that are meaningful in my life

• What I have left undone; what I regret

• A statement of surrender, and my prayer/wish for those I leave behind

not that one writes a vidui only when they are dying

but that viduis are to be written and rewritten throughout life

finally to be read when one is dying

either by the one dying

or by those present to the one dying

One traditional form reads as follows:

My God and God of all who have gone before me, Author of life and death, I turn to You in trust. Although I pray for life and health, I know that I am mortal. If my life must soon come to an end, let me die, I pray, at peace. If only my hands were clean and my heart pure! I confess that I have committed sins and left much undone, yet I know also the good that I did or tried to do. May my acts of goodness give meaning to my life, and may my errors be forgiven. Protector of bereaved and the helpless, watch over my loved ones. Into Your hand I commit my spirit; redeem it, O God of mercy and truth.

Rabbi Eliezer declared: "Repent one day before your death." Whereupon his disciples asked: How does one know which day that is? "Exactly," answered the sage. "For that reason, we ought to live our lives each day as though it were our last." (Babylonian Talmud)

hi pi i love you !!!!haven't read any of the thread yet -- just listened to the song -- which i lovenow i'm reminded of 2 songs which i will post--eventually i will read this thread but right now i don't want to. i don't know why ?hang on

Edited by excathedra

Yeah, so I finally watched the clip dooj.

Irony doesn't begin to say it. "It's all for the best!" shouted from the top of the WTC!

Looks like a vile movie anyway, but a really creepy scene there...

George - I posted it precisely for the irony, and not for the "all for the best" part. Since the letter was supposed to be to my past self, I wanted to remind myself for the future that those two opposing arguments never would change for me. (Talking to myself in the past about things that would become future but are now my "present" :blink: )

The movie came from an Off-Broadway play, which I got to see - but I couldn't bear to go see the movie. It was a fun play to watch - but it never held any significance to me other than that the improvisation was cool. (Well... that play and "Jesus Christ, Superstar" got me thinking that the RC church were not for me at all...)

Is it all for the best? - Life moves on and it is what it is. I've got two girls to raise, and some more I'd like to do and see. I'm just doing what I can same as every other mook on the planet. Some do more and others do less.

Can I interest you in some sushi?