GreaseSpot Cafe

Cat whispering

Twinky

Great photos!

I especially like the one of them together. Tillie looks curious. Tallie looks - almost annoyed - but that may still be timidity.

It looks like you're well on your way.

Oops attached wrong photo before, of Tuxedo with the cat toy.

Don't think Crypto is annoyed, more a bit scared. She tends to gaze with eyes half lidded, perhaps because a wide-eyed cat is seen as a threat and she is too timid to want to be a threat to anything. But she's getting a little better with chasing the whip. She emerges rapidly to play (or at least watch) as soon as she hears me flipping it around.

• 2 weeks later...

Now these lovely beasties have a new trick.

I just got a new (second hand) carpet. They really like it. They rolled on it and sniffed it and appear to really enjoy having it there. Much nicer than what I had before. They like to lie on it.

But (the pests) they (at least Tuxedo) have taken to using one corner for a latrine. Wet only (so far). I scrub it up as soon as I realize but sometimes I don't find it for a day or two (the smell gives it away). I wonder if a previous animal peed on it there? It's driving me crazy and I think soon I will hire a carpet cleaner with special "animal" shampoo and clean all the carpets.

I was pleased I'd read a thread here, just before my net connection crashed for 2 weeks, about cat urine and ways to dispose.

Tuxedo has also twice taken a dump on my sofa cushions. To do this she walks past the bathroom where the litter tray is. Tray is clean!!! Research on the net suggests it's "separation anxiety" and true, she has done this if I have been out later than usual in the evening. (Not like they pay me any attention when I am here!)

Crypto is really coming out of herself now and is very active and agile at chasing the whip (toy). She also stands up for herself a bit more and sometimes smacks Tuxedo back if Tuxy just hits her for no reason. More usually she runs off.

Still can't touch either of them.

In the act! I caught Tuxy in the act! Just straddling the back legs and getting comfy on my carpet!! A firm "No!" has her now hiding on a chair under the table...no doubt waiting for me to go to bed so that she can continue.

Definitely need to be able to handle these animals. For one thing, Tuxy needs to learn to wear a diaper. Grrrrr!

Twinky, I'd say your thought that an animal had peed on that corner before is spot on.

There are cleaning products that have enzymes that will remove all the odor (even the residual stuff that the beasties can smell but we can't.)

In the mean time, clean it as best you can and put something there to keep Tuxy away from there.

Hope this helps.

Twinky, you can buy cat repellant products from pet stores to help keep them from ruining your furniture and carpet.  

The natural ones usually contain cayenne, you can make up your own home remedy though, just put some cayenne in a spray bottle with warm water and use that, and you can add some liquid dish soap if you need it to stick to something or spray it on newspaper and leave that on the area you don't want them to go on.

Good luck with your critters, they are cute kitties!

• 1 month later...

It is with great joy in my heart that I can say I have almost got a pet cat. And the other is coming along.

They are both madly keen on feathers - you know, the odd feather you will see lying in a garden or on a path where a bird has preened itself. I took them a hawk feather and they loved it and ate it completely. Since then they have had a number of other feathers, usually grey, probably from gulls or pigeons. These are well liked but not as much as the hawk’s. They eat the end that sticks in tbe bird straight away but not so much the feathery bit.

A dog trainer told me that I should try stroking along the cats’ backs with a feather to get them used to touch. I have tried this but it has been difficult. They are both so jumpy. Especially Tuxedo, who is seriously agitated at any kind of touch, anywhere on her body.

So imagine my surprise when Tuxy of her own volition on Monday decided she wanted to be fondled!

I’d picked up a feather to play with her and she sniffed it and had a little gnaw at it and then kept pushing her head underneath the stem of the feather so that my fingers were over her forehead. Well, you don’t decline the offer, do you? So I fondled her head, her ears, the nape of her neck, and gradually she has allowed me to stroke her whole length and down her flanks, not quite her belly yet but she rolls over on the floor so I can do her sides and will roll on her back quickly. Sometimes she has her eyes half closed in real blissed-out fashion.

This has been a consistent pattern of behaviour now for several days. Each day she gets a little bolder and a little more permissive of what she will allow and how long she will allow it. She purrs with pleasure as well. Usually I have to use the subterfuge of the feather to get her started but then she will just accept my hand. Hey, if she needs to “fool herself” with the feather, I’m not complaining!!

Once I was fondling her, stroking her side while she had thrown herself on the floor, and she was thoroughly enjoying it. She turned to look at what was causing this pleasurable sensation on her side, saw my hand and did a real “scared cat” jump – one minute lying on the floor and the next second two inches in the air. Really comical!

Crypto watches all this with bemusement. She has however allowed me to fondle her head with the feather a couple of times and occasionally lets me run a hand along her back as she walks away. No prolonged fondling session and she doesn’t hang about near me yet (well she does, but just out of arm’s reach) but she watches intensely what Tuxy is doing.

Tuxedo’s coat is so soft and silky and gleams with health. It’s really beautiful.

Crypto’s coat feels rough and dry and does not gleam or lay flat along her body but rather sticks out slightly, not in a fluffy way but a bit hunched up. They have the same diet and share the same food bowl (by choice). I don’t know that Crypto gets enough to eat but there is plenty available for her. Maybe as she continues to settle and enjoy life, her coat quality will improve.

It’s been a long slog but finally it seems we are “getting there.” Just as I was on the verge of sending them back as there had been no progress.

Oh, and I removed my red rug. It seems Tuxy had wet it much more than I had realised with her once a day mesage. Even the floor under the carpet reeked.

I have thoroughly cleansed the floor and now have a new rug. No misbehaviour so far after nearly two weeks. Musta been stating her case to some other cat.

Maybe that's why she has suddenly relaxed and got fussy with me?

Twinky - if you can find some Brewer's yeast and garlic tablets in a local pet shop, adding one or two a day will help Crypto's coat.

I'm so happy that all your work is paying off.

Dooj, thanks, I'll see what I can find. If it makes Crypto's coat glossy, Tuxy will be glow in the dark. It will be interesting trying to dose them with anything. They get a few drops of Rock Rose or Mimulus in their drinking water and that's all.

Oldies - is that your cat? His nose is so squashed in!! But he doesn't seem shy. Like the brown eyes.

BNIS - Thanks for the cat repellant suggestion. I tried it but she just sat on top of it and peed anyway. :( But getting rid of the rug seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks for the suggestion.

No dosing necessary Twinks!

Cats love the taste of these tablets. Just add one to their dry food. They may sniff it a bit the first time or two, but eventually they will eat that tablet first.

The lecithin granules can be added to wet food if you give them any.

Edited by doojable

Lecithin? What does that do for cats? How much needs sprinkling on their food, how often?

They love dry food. One of my friends calls Tuxedo "The Dustbin" because she is always eating.

They like wet food out of sachets but they are expensive. They like Felix sachets so I bought some Felix in tins, same variety...unfortunately it appears that the tinned types are highly poisonous to black cats so they were unable to eat it. However obviously not poisonous to the silver cat next door which had no such difficulties.

I have dosed my cat Twinky in New Zealand with worm tablets by (originally) smearing the worm tablet with Marmite and putting it with dry food (I figured Marmite smells a bit like cat biscuits). We had to use the Marmite trick to start with but now he will simply eat all his dry stuff and then eat the tablet.

I can't imagine worming and de-fleaing these two. That would require handling them to some extent, even with Frontline on the nape of the neck. And I have bad experience of what their teeth and claws can do. So that's another reason for keeping them in for a little while longer.While they are indoors, they have no opportunity to bring parasites home.

But who knows, Tuxy is enjoying getting fondled so much that she even prefers it to food. That's really saying something. She threw herself on her side this morning exposing her soft underbelly so that's a huge leap forward in confidence and trust.

Dooj, thanks, I'll see what I can find. If it makes Crypto's coat glossy, Tuxy will be glow in the dark. It will be interesting trying to dose them with anything. They get a few drops of Rock Rose or Mimulus in their drinking water and that's all.

Oldies - is that your cat? His nose is so squashed in!! But he doesn't seem shy. Like the brown eyes.

BNIS - Thanks for the cat repellant suggestion. I tried it but she just sat on top of it and peed anyway. :( But getting rid of the rug seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks for the suggestion.

Twinky, yes he's my cat Woody. His nose is very punched in, even for a persian. He looks like a gremlin. :lol:

Edited by oldiesman

• 1 month later...

Well, things are going well with the little critters.

Tuxedo now enjoys being fondled. In fact when I have my breakfast, she sits at my feet and starts with a plaintive mew and progresses to quite a loud miaow, if she doesn't get stroked. She is very fond of her neck being rubbed. She tends to wander about and walk off whilst being fondled and then turn back as if to say, why did you stop? She sometimes throws herself at my feet and often purrs loudly. I have one of those wire pet grooming brushes and she seems to love being brushed with that, especially short strong passes which may remind her a little of being licked by her mother. Her coat gleams beautifully.

I try to expand her boundaries daily and now she will let me stroke and occasionally groom her underbelly. I may not stroke her front (her pretty white vest) nor may I use two hands but I am cautiously working on that. I may only stroke her in certain locations: the kitchen, lounge or study. I may not touch her on the stairs, landing, windowsill, bathroom or any enclosed location. So I am also working on stroking her when she is sunbathing on the windowsill.

Crypto has begun to let me touch her. She may need an incentive/bribe like holding a feather out to her, but sometimes she will allow herself to be touched/stroked without the bribe. Her coat is lovely and thick. Ithought before it was in poor condition - perhaps it was then. I am feeding them a different mix of catbix and maybe that gives something extra. Anyway she feels good.

Crypto is still very shy but is so much better it's almost unbelievable. She has the sweetest gentlest face. She loves to sit near me and if I sit to read a book or lie on the couch, she often roosts about 3 feet from me (just out of touching distance).

Neither will sit on the couch with me (much less on my knee) but given the progress so far, it'll be a happening thing. They both fly into a panic if they see me coming up the stairs while they are on the landing, or if I go into my study (a small room) and close the door and they are in the room. But they like being in the room with me, if the door is open.

I am still not allowing them outside in case they don't come back, but I am more confident about their abilities to cope if they did take off. They are very fast at catching things (balls, bits of string) including flies that unwisely drift into the house.

I am not dosing them on Rock Rose or Mimulus any longer and don't use the Feliway either.

Time is a great healer, but it's been a hard six months.

I love the picture of these two cats--it always makes me smile. I have two tuxedo cats -- brothers-- Dickie and Onslow--named after characters in a brit-com called "Keeping up Appearances"

they are the funniest animals--house cats--if one sneaks out the other comes to tattle. They yell at me until I go find the brother.

They actually climbed on my counter opened the cupboard and got to the top shelf to get the catnip. Smart cats. It was the cutest scene. They were so proud and drunk with it at the same time. No shame!!

Geisha, mine do that too! Crypto will disappear some place, and Tuxy will mill around and mew a lot and keep looking in the direction where Crypto has hidden.

My cat things are kept in a box in the kitchen. One day I came home and Tuxy was looking a little lary and somewhat pleased with herself. She had got into the toy box and found a little cardboard box of catnip, got it open, gnawed through the plastic bag containing the catnip, and gorged herself silly. (I'm told it acts like cannabis, for cats.)

I keep the catnip in a cupboard now with the door firmly closed.

But if I want a laugh, I sprinkle a little on the carpet and watch'em both go crazy. :biglaugh:

"Keeping up Appearances" was a very funny program. Glad to hear your cats give you so much pleasure!

my girl kitty sits near me and lets me pet her a little bit or lay my head on her just for a moment she isnt a reall cuddly cat just a be near me kind of girl. she is twelve now and I have had her since 4 weeks so it might be her personality.

if she stiffs cat nip she passes out cold, it isnt good for her at all . He on the other hand snorts bowls of the stuff and then pees on his strach strip every time and looks aghast at the whole routine soo we cant do cat nip any more.

I have dosed my cat Twinky in New Zealand with worm tablets by (originally) smearing the worm tablet with Marmite and putting it with dry food (I figured Marmite smells a bit like cat biscuits). We had to use the Marmite trick to start with but now he will simply eat all his dry stuff and then eat the tablet.

Hi Twinky,

I tried to post a picture to of my cats on my personal thingy, it didn't work. Did your cats eat the marmite? Did they like it? Is that to much yeast for them? I would NEVER have thought of that, but it seems like a good idea--if they took it. I have some marmite--just wondering how it went down.

I have the two tuxedo cats, but also a 11 year old orange tabby. (Chandler Bing)He is having trouble with his back legs and watching him go up and down stairs is getting sad. I was going to look into some kind of pain relief for him--but not sure what I can do. If they give me a tab--I might try the marmite. Smells disgusting to me--so he should like it.

My cats will only eat out of a pouch. They see a tin--they hold out. They gorge on dry and then turn their noses up. They tease me.

The other thing they do--is jump up on the counter by the sink and wait to have the water turned on slow--so they can drink from it--their fountain broke and they only like running water--I kid you not--they ask for the tap.

Let me know if the marmite worked. Maybe I can finally get rid of it. Ever have a marmite sandwich? Not good.

Personally I detest Marmite. But I thought the smell seemed a little like the smell of some flavors of catbix, so tried it with a worm tablet for Twinkletoes (Twinky) and put it with a small quantity of catbix. It was such a fight trying to ram it down his throat. He ate all the catbix and then ate the worm tablet, last of all. I may have tried with a smear of Marmite on my finger first which he licked off.

Anyway now he does not bother with the Marmite, the worm tab just goes in the food bowl and gets eaten last of all, no bribes, no nuthin.

It is such a tiny thin smear you will need, Geisha, and only once every 3 months or as often as your tabs require, that it won't do any harm. See if they will eat a smear from your finger or on an ordinary catbiccy.

I have recommended this to other people and they have told me they find it helpful. Anyway you have nothing to lose!

Would love to see your cats if you can post a photo.

I have not had to try Tuxedo and Crypto yet as they are still indoor cats so have no opportunity to get parasites from mice or other prey. Oh joy, the thought of having to dose either of them. I will need a suit of armor.

Edited by Twinky

There you are, then, Geisha, an end to your difficulties.

Yes, you might need to import the Marmite via your relatives. US friends who knew the product used to beg the Internationals to bring them jars when they were in the US. (Revolting stuff...)

If you can get Bovril that might work too.

Tuxedo has today let me stroke her front (her tux) and use both hands, one either side of her chest. Slowly slowly catchee cat. Just a tiny step in progress.

Well, I'm rather pleased. Crypto is getting a little less shy and has today consented to a few brush strokes, only 5 or 6, but she seemed to like them. In fact, I think she liked it better than being stroked without a brush. Little bit by little bit... we are getting there.

Tuxedo is loving being brushed and now lets me brush underneath her and on her chest. Today she caught herself by surprise - she had thrown herself down on my feet to be fondled, and then realised her tummy was being brushed. Up she leapt as if she had been scalded. So situation normal there, then.

On the other hand, Tuxy has used my coconut mat in the entrance hall as a litter tray (again) so the mat is again in the bath soaking away all subtle smells of wee. At least she uses the rubber-backed coco matting and not the lounge carpet, any more. I already had to throw a nice red rug away because of her waterings.

My mum has been staying with me for a few days. She is used to cats who are very friendly and like sitting in laps. Despite my clear warnings that she was on no account to try to pick up the cats, she tried to pick up Tuxy. Tuxy of course was immediately full of fear, and scratched at her and bit the web between Mum's finger and thumb. The wounds have healed without infection and Mum has not tried to pick them up since. But it just gives an indication of how far there still is to go, to turn these cats into "pets" in the affectionate sense, even though they have come a long way since they first arrived.

I am going to France for a few days next week and a neighbour is to come in 2 or 3 times a day. I wonder what kind of fragrant or wrecked place I will come home to.

Well, it is a good work you are doing. Those cats fell into a whole lotta lucky in you.

For my job, I sometimes end up in not too great an area. Yesterday I was at this apartment house and the downstairs woman had 5 cats. 3 Kittens==a mama kitty and the brother--which is the father?? The mama kitty was less than a year old--the kittens were not being nursed because the mama was starving--she had walked away. I was so upset. I talked to the woman and fed the cats--then had to explain to her how very important nutrition was for a nursing mama. She did feed them, but so little.

I helped the woman with food and did not take the cats. I am going to bring her food and set up for a free vet(Almost free). I wanted to bring them home, but I didn't want them near my cats. I think if I supply the food and teach her how to care for them, it will work out. She does like them--just a matter of being able to get food for them regularly. We will find a good home for the kittens as well. I will keep up with it.

My cat Onslow--sits like a human--it is too funny. He sits up and always has his belly showing. I come home and he drops to his back and shows me his belly to be scratched. If I don't pet him enough for his liking--he kicks me with his back legs.

When they were having their nightly treats last night--I told them there were starving kitties--that they should eat it all--clean their plates. They said--here, mail it to them, (swish tail,) I am full!

We love our cats! Keep up the good work--they will be dropping to have their bellies rubbed very soon. I am sure they will forget and learn to trust more and more. They know they are safe.