GreaseSpot Cafe

Cat whispering

Twinky

my cats were bred for me .

funny thing this internet you know.

i will state something that if my family or friends ever said to me they wouldnt be my family and friends anymore.

my male cat might be "disabled" mentality but in a good way.

I have never seen a cat so human dependent.

or a human so cat dependent.

so there it is . we are what we are .

we all have issues.

if you enjoy them then enjoy.one of my daughters has a cat that got cut up in a car motor and lost his legs and he is a very nice cat. He wa wild and slept in the car engine to keep warm and didnt make it out one day funny thing.. he went running up to humans knowing they could save his life, and begged for mercy .

of course now he doesnt have much choice but to be a house cat and he turned out nice . he doesnt like other cats so much tho maybe because he knows he doesnt have a chance in a row with any of them.

Well, I have worked out that Tuxy is not fat. She's just a pig.

Now that they've been on Go-Cat, she chows it down like there's no tomorrow.

Then she gets thirsty.

Then she drinks...and drinks...and drinks.

And the Go-Cat expands...and expands...and expands. To three or four times its original volume.

Her tummy was soooo hard. It must have been quite painful.

And what goes in must come out...and out...and out...and out...and out... ... ...

Presumably she will empty soon.

They are now not getting food down all the time, to help themselves.

And they are getting it mixed with an equal quantity of supermarket-own, to make it a little less desirable.

Well, I have worked out that Tuxy is not fat. She's just a pig.

Now that they've been on Go-Cat, she chows it down like there's no tomorrow.

Then she gets thirsty.

Then she drinks...and drinks...and drinks.

And the Go-Cat expands...and expands...and expands. To three or four times its original volume.

Her tummy was soooo hard. It must have been quite painful.

And what goes in must come out...and out...and out...and out...and out... ... ...

Presumably she will empty soon.

They are now not getting food down all the time, to help themselves.

And they are getting it mixed with an equal quantity of supermarket-own, to make it a little less desirable.

I have a little scoop and divided their food up into two feedings

one for morning and one when I get home I took the total of food they are supposed to get and divided it by two but they still get a bit too much

well really the piggy one does but she is getting less than before

• 2 weeks later...

IN MEMORIAM

Twinkle

Twinkle, the family cat, has finally passed on, aged at least 16 years. She was found dead in her kennel this morning.

Twinkle was a self-rescue cat. She was abandoned or did not travel with neighbours who moved out from down the road from my Mum, at least ten years ago. The cat wandered around for some months, scrounging what she could. Mum took pity and made a “nest” in a safe covered area. Gradually, the cat found her way into the house and onto laps.

Mum did not want the tie of an animal and when she moved to a new house, left the cat with me. When I moved to my present city, the cat remained with Mum in her new home until I was settled. She never left her new home.

Twinkle went missing last summer for several weeks (there’s a thread where people prayed for her safe return). She turned up, with her collar round her leg and neck, and with large open sores. The vet pronounced her generally healthy, and the sores would recover; but she was found to have a growth round her tummy which was inoperable. The vet said she would eventually be unable to pass food.

Twinkle was a very affectionate cat. When she first came, she was aggressive and earned the name “Slasher” for her adeptness at hitting at people and animals. With kindness, however, she became a most dear and gentle pet. She was very purry and loved to be fondled. I called her a “bendy toy,” as she could be positioned however anyone chose. She enjoyed meeting visitors and sat on everyone’s lap when Mum’s house group came round last Wednesday.

Twinkle slowed down, ceasing jumping and wanting to go out about a month ago. She stopped eating significantly about two weeks ago and has been looking for quiet dark hiding places. She did not eat or drink for the last three days and was found curled up in a normal sleeping posture this morning. She has been buried in her favourite spot in the garden. She will be greatly missed.

What a beautiful cat Twinkle was. . . . you can just see the personality. I am truly sorry for you and your Mum. 10 years is a true member of the family.

We had one when I was a kid who lived to be 21. . . . Jitterbug. . . . . when she went it was heartbreaking. I was talking to a friend the other day who just lost her dog. . . . she was devestated. . . . real grief.

I really am sorry.

Keep up the good work with Crypto and Tux.

Love,

Geisha

Edited by geisha779

Dear Twinky I am so sorry for your loss Hugs from me and Purrs from the kitties.

IT is always difficult to lose those we are close with and animals I think are especially difficult. They are part of the family and completely dependent upon us for their lives. They never waiver from their affection for us. THey bring joy and comfort to us and really fill out our lives.

Thanks, both. Twinkle was a real "bendy toy". You really could position her more or less how you liked on your lap or chest and she'd sort of sigh and relax into the position, purring loudly. She had a lovely low purr but also a very high purr, like the one a very pleased cat has. And that's how she was purring in her last days. So we know she was happy.

Crypto looks very like Twinkle, same dense black color with a little white mark on the chest, and slightly fluffy as opposed to very sleek. I have vision for Crypto to end up like Twinkle. It won't be any time soon. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Well. Cat training continues.

I managed to capture Tuxedo last night and harnessed her and took her outside with me for a little while. It was 9pm-ish so dark, but dry and not too cold. This was not a happy event. Tuxy hid first behind a plant pot, then the dustbin. No attempt to move elsewhere. After a while, I brought her in, keeping her in my arms while I removed the harness, and she soon settled down, purring and needling my arm with pleasure.

Today I have just got in from another trip. I had her outside by the patio for a while, then took her up the top end of the garden to my garden shed. Here she got to feel soil under her feet. Not that she cared, she just squished herself down, howling piteously all the while. She wouldn't move. But her pupils were slitty, not wide open in alarm. She hates anything touching her back - hates her play whip lightly touching her, hates a feather being put on her back - the issue is, perhaps, that she hates the harness, rather than not wanting to go outside.

Anyway, after letting her just squish on the soil for quite a while, I walked back down the garden to the house. She had to be dragged at first, but then got the idea and ran off towards the house. On finding the door, she stretched up and tried to get in in. That was comforting; she seems to recognize where she is.

But I didn't let her in. I was in the garden shed to get my fork, and staked that in the lawn with the lead between the tines. Plan was to just let her settle there and explore at leisure. She had a little sniff at the small fishpond but ignored it. But when I moved away just a little she got really stressed and started to leap all around. This included a leap into the fish pond (hey, it's a walking on water cat!) - she got her feet wet and a touch on her tummy - then she threw herself at the 6ft fence (couldn't quite reach it).

Time to go in now, and I let her find her own way to the door, where I took the harness and lead off and dried her legs and feet. She dislikes her legs and feet being touched but didn't object at all. I rewarded her patience with a bowl of her fave cat milk (only rarely given) and she seems happy enough now.

I feel reassured that she seems to recognize the back door and patio. She would, however, bolt in any direction if startled. I would like to let her out after Easter, to go free.

Meanwhile Crypto was nowhere to be seen, today.

Last night when T was howling when harness first put on, Crypto started hissing - at Tuxy, I think, not at me - and she made herself big by arching up and fluffing out. She looked surprisingly big. When I brought T in, Crypto was still stressed, hiding, and hissing at me from behind chairs. Silly creature. Eventually she hid behind the couch.

As for today, I haven't seen her. She avoided being near the harness-hitching and vanished in case scary things happened to her. I've just managed to locate her behind the couch again (very dark and sort of enclosed, there).

I still can't handle Crypto. She will occasionally permit a stroke or two (no more than two) along her back. Or a brief scratch behind the ears, just for a few seconds. She likes to be near me, as long as she is out of arm's reach. She will eat (ham) from my fingers and I can make her submit to being stroked whilst receiving the ham, but that's about it.

If anyone has any suggestions, please please let me know.

I so want to let them out, but that will mean I will also have to flea and worm them from time to time. Which means holding them, even if drops are used. They may just run off and never come back; that would be terribly distressing.

Within the house, Crypto stays near Tuxy and follows her about. If Tuxy explores somewhere, Crypto will creep after her. So if Tuxy can find her way back home, hopefully Crypto will hang near her and also find her way home. But they may go their separate ways, if released outside.

Oh, by the way, they ignore the cat door (wedged in a stool) as toy/training session. Don't know whether I should install it in the back door or not, if they won't even try to use it. Suggestions?

I don't want to sound negative but I think you are pushing the timetable for "free-roaming yard" cat status too hard. If they were truly interested in going out, they would be racing you to the door and trying to dart out between your feet, not hiding, hissing, scrunching, or trying to bolt.

I think you are taking the right steps to get what you want in the end, but I wouldn't dream of letting either of them loose for a long, long time. A cat likes to be master of its territory and unknown space is a little scarey for any cat, but these guys have already had much of their innate curiosity over-ridden by "whatever" happened to them in the past, so they are extra, extra fearful of the unknown. If I were you I would just plan on taking them out on leash and staking it to the ground (out of reach of either the pond or the fence) and sit out there with a good book for an hour or so. If they see you at ease, eventually they will be at ease, too. But I suspect it will take a good long time!

If both cats are spayed, and before being spayed were not "outside" cats, then they are pretty much "inside" cats.

They won't have a need or desire to go outside.

And a lot of vets recommend that cats stay inside.

If I were you, I wouldn't push it. They'll be happier just staying in the house.

They are both spayed.

They are nearly 2 1/2 years old. They were a little over a year old when I got them, and I've had them since Jan 2008, ie, a bit over a year, so I don't think I'm pushing them too hard, but they are still so nervous of anything new or different. Nothing, nothing at all, has happened that is unpleasant to them, except that they had a highly strung and very aggressive (to humans) mother. Never been illtreated by anyone.

THW, that's the plan, stake T out and sit out there reading or generally messing around pruning or planting.

They are immensely curious about what's outside, and Tuxy in particular is always peering between my legs as I go in and out. They love to smell me, my bike and my shoes when I come in. I do have to shoo them back into the house - in the warmer weather they are very keen to get out. Tuxy tries to climb up through the top of the window if left open.

They may not stray, but if something frightened them (next door's dog barking, or a vehicle making a loud noise (motorcycle) on the road at the back), then they may startle and run off.

To begin with I think I may enlist a friend with a view to scaring them back into the house should they stray too far away. Whether that will work...?

I think I may also just let Tuxy out alone to start with. What do you think? But they would both enjoy it. If I let T out first and she became familiar with the back of the house and even the street beyond, would she lead and C follow, then C got lost?

BTW most Brits like to let their cats out, unless there is good reason not to.

RIP TWINKLETOES (TWINKY)

Greatly loved cat aged 14 years. Happy life, short illness.

Arrived as a kitten small enough to sit on the palm of a hand. Grew into a large and lovable rascal. Significant element of Siamese incorporated into this moggy’s makeup, giving him long legs and a lean appearance, and a noticeable voice. He loved to talk to his people!

He was named Twinkletoes (Twinky) because of his great adeptness at getting his way into my flat to see if there was anything worth eating.

Favorite activity was his mad ten minutes racing round the house at about 10 pm every night. All his life, he would spring into life, attack furniture, plastic bags and shoes; chase imaginary creatures; chase his tail; bounce off the walls; try to run up curtains; and at the end of his ten minutes, would collapse on the floor as if he had never moved all evening.

He also attended upon my next door neighbors. They were an elderly couple. The husband died and the widow called the cat John after her late husband. The cat comforted her by his presence. The widow was eventually taken to live in a residential nursing home.

On my return overseas, Twinky went to live with my former partner. Twinky didn’t particularly like males and my friend had never owned any pet before. However, they got on wonderfully well and Twinky thrived. He even gave up trying to run up net curtains. He supervised kitchen renovations and recently supervised the painting of the exterior of the house. He was popular with neighbors; ensured with a single stare that their cats knew he was the boss; and was tremendously affectionate to all. He was full of life and energy, extremely inquisitive, and wanted to know everything about everything.

He couldn’t be found on Friday afternoon and was located sitting on a neighbor’s lawn unable to move a back leg. Immediate vet treatment brought brief relief, but the next day (yesterday) he was unable to move either of his back legs or his tail and could only drag himself by his front legs. He was not talking in his usual noisy manner, but did not seem to be in pain. He was purring and peaceful. Tests and X-rays showed nothing. The diagnosis was probable stroke and the painful decision was made that life could not continue for him.

He is buried in the front garden adjacent to the wall that he had recently supervised the painting of.

This cat saved my life. He arrived when I was at absolute rock bottom, having been viciously ejected (M&A’d) from that organization. I desperately needed something to love but couldn’t cope with people at all. This tiny kitten arrived on an occasional basis, would stay a few minutes, then wander off again. He was all I could cope with for many months. He is honored in the name I use here at the Cafe.

The other cat I posted about, Twinkle (named after Twinkletoes) was a real sweetie, and when she died last week it was quietly and of natural causes, and was expected. The suddenness of Twinky’s death is brutal.

I feel terribly upset. He seemed to have such a lot of life in him, and it has so horribly been cut short.

Oh Twinky, I am so very sorry. I am truly sorry.

Chubby, our cat also had a stroke and we too had to put him to sleep. The same thing. back legs not working. I found him under the lilac bush. So, I know how difficult this all has been. I actually sit here with tears.

What a comfort they are. My son just left home and he is the last to go. . . I have been a bit lost and my cats have not left my side.

They know when we need them.

He was a beautiful animal and you can tell from the pictures he was full of personality. Now, what did he think he was going to do in the dishwasher!?!

I can't even tell you how much I understand how important they become to us.

We, the crazy "Cat people." The only time I was without a cat was the time I was in TWI and that seemed forever.

Wishing I could offer more comfort to you. I am sending my love and prayers your way.

Some comments from my sometime partner, Twinky's latest carer:

I have not got used to him not being about, and I can’t believe that he won’t slip in through the lounge door at any moment.

I have fond memories of Twinky. Every day when I got home and before I fed him, I would hold him in my arms like a baby and stroke his tummy and arm pits. He would purr with enthusiasm until his thoughts changed to food. He would then eye-up his food bowl. I especially enjoyed the times that he would leap up on my lap when I was on in the lounge, and proceed to go into a deep sleep. Winter time was also special. He would ‘sunbathe’ in front of the fire. Later after going to bed he would seek out the warmth of my bedroom.

And I know my friend misses him very deeply.

Edited by Twinky

Things I miss...

...Snuggling against Twinkle's soft fur, when she had come in from the fields. She used to smell sweetly of hay.

...Snuggling against Twinkletoes's fur, when he'd come in from the garden. He smelled of fresh green outdoors.

I managed to pick up Tuxedo the other day. Her fur smells sort of dusty. Maybe she'd been exploring under the kitchen work units again (such an exciting place, doncha know?).

But some progress with these two.

Tuxy (Tucks-In) has taken to coming by my chair when I am at the computer, and she mews piteously. There's food in the dish and the litter tray is clean (her usual complaints). What does she want? To be fondled!! I may not pick her up, but I may scratch her neck, ears, back, and stroke all along her. She can be quite demanding that I do this! When I picked her up, she made her usual protest, then snuggled into my arms, purring loudly, and in fact giving for the first time that rather high-pitched purr that cats make when they are really really happy or pleased with themselves.

Crypto has also decided that being fondled is not so bad. Lately she has come to me, very cautiously, and she bends her head down in a very specific way which invites me to scratch the back of her neck and at the same time I am also allowed 3 or 4 strokes along her body. This may happen three or four times a day. A long way from picking her up, though.

In fact, it's quite significant progress with both of them.

Well to me those are big steps.

here is what I have been doing with my one feral Kitty.

When I go out to feed him at night and sometimes in the morning he will now let me pick him up for a moment but only in that one place and he will now (Well twice now) He let me pick him up and sit in a nearby chair for a scratch and cuddle.

When I first started picking him up he hated it. but I would grab him before he could eat and hold him for just a count of five and then ten and at the same time scratch him around the ears.

We are making slow but steady progress.

THE only place he lets me pick him up is by his food dish and if I try to carry him in the house I get the scramble to get away thing so all cuddles are out side by the food dish.

I hope in time your babies will let you carry them and cuddle them.

Hey Leafy, that's progress for you.

With scaredy-pants Crypto, what I've found works is hand-feeding bits of ham (she really likes ham) and holding that pinched firmly in two fingers, and slowly bringing the other hand around (so's not to startle) and stroking/scratching the back of her neck while she tugs at the meat. She will endure the handling because she likes the meat. I make her tug at it for a short while then release it so that she can eat; then do the same again. It's not a "main meal" - just a treat - and maybe 6 times or however long it takes before she has had enough of fondling.

Another tip that was given me by a trainer of difficult dogs is to stroke the back with a feather. Both of them really like this and do not see it as a threat. If they go through a scared/aversive period, I resume touching with the feather and they soon come round. Strange, but this was one of the most effective things.

Progress is creeping on...

Had a good fondle at Tuxy this morning. I also managed to weigh her (weigh me + cat, let her go, work out difference). She seems to weigh about 8lb/4kg. She is not a small cat, and her avowed intention is to eat, all at once, every Go-Cat biscuit that comes into the house.

When fondling her, I noticed she has a very fresh chunk out of one ear just below the point - not just a tear, but an actual very small piece missing - with a fresh bloody scab on the wound. Looks like Crypto has learned to fight back (well, she has!!) and these two had an active night last night.

I took Tuxy a walk up the garden path this morning (in my arms). I needed to check if the dustmen had been. Tuxy was terrified by the time I got to the garden gate, wriggling to get away. She calmed down when I turned round to come back to the house, and walked back down the path. She is fascinated by, but hates, new and different things.

Crypto is definitely getting more assertive and I've noticed her have an unprovoked poke at Tuxy on a couple of occasions. Mind you, Tuxy still chases or gratuitously hits at Crypto much more!!

Crypto seems to welcome a little fondle nowadays. She is quite willing to let me scratch the back of her neck and run my hand along her spine a couple of times.

Crypto has also begun to develop her voice a little more. She usually makes a content sort of "crrroooo" sound (rather like a dove!) and she has a very soft, shy little miaow. But yesterday I got a rather loud assertive miaow. She has learned to make a noise if she wants to ask for food. Rather pleasing.

But slow progress, or what?

Oh if Tuxy is 8lb, that would make Crypto probably about 5lb, not as much as 6lb. She is only about 2/3 Tuxy's size, as far as I can tell. She was the runt of the litter. Too gentle a personality to fight for herself.

• 2 weeks later...
Progress is creeping on...

Had a good fondle at Tuxy this morning. I also managed to weigh her (weigh me + cat, let her go, work out difference). She seems to weigh about 8lb/4kg. She is not a small cat, and her avowed intention is to eat, all at once, every Go-Cat biscuit that comes into the house.

When fondling her, I noticed she has a very fresh chunk out of one ear just below the point - not just a tear, but an actual very small piece missing - with a fresh bloody scab on the wound. Looks like Crypto has learned to fight back (well, she has!!) and these two had an active night last night.

I took Tuxy a walk up the garden path this morning (in my arms). I needed to check if the dustmen had been. Tuxy was terrified by the time I got to the garden gate, wriggling to get away. She calmed down when I turned round to come back to the house, and walked back down the path. She is fascinated by, but hates, new and different things.

Crypto is definitely getting more assertive and I've noticed her have an unprovoked poke at Tuxy on a couple of occasions. Mind you, Tuxy still chases or gratuitously hits at Crypto much more!!

Crypto seems to welcome a little fondle nowadays. She is quite willing to let me scratch the back of her neck and run my hand along her spine a couple of times.

Crypto has also begun to develop her voice a little more. She usually makes a content sort of "crrroooo" sound (rather like a dove!) and she has a very soft, shy little miaow. But yesterday I got a rather loud assertive miaow. She has learned to make a noise if she wants to ask for food. Rather pleasing.

But slow progress, or what?

Oh if Tuxy is 8lb, that would make Crypto probably about 5lb, not as much as 6lb. She is only about 2/3 Tuxy's size, as far as I can tell. She was the runt of the litter. Too gentle a personality to fight for herself.

This is really excellent news... every little bit more makes progress.

Currently with Bongo.. my little feral boy he is letting me scoop him up quite regularly as long as I come out to him on the back porch from the house... If I come in from the garden it is no dice.. and if he encounters me outside he doesn't run completely away but keeps a healthy distance between the two of us. One day they all will be happy little family integrated kitties

• 4 weeks later...

Wanted to tell you about some progress.

Recently I have taken Tuxy up the garden in her harness and staked her out while I am gardening nearby. The first time she hid her head under a box near the compost heap - clearly, if she can't see anything she isn't there.

Later I was digging elsewhere and staked her near a bush, which she immediately hid under and refused to budge.

I have been giving Crypto the Bach remedy Mimulus for her timidity - whether it is that or not, she seems less timid. She comes up for a brief fondle quite frequently but still cannot be picked up.

Tuxy likewise had the Bach remedy Rock Rose but I have discontinued this because she got horribly sloppy motions (okay, near diarrhoea) which started as soon as I started to dose her. It may be coincidence but it has stopped soon after I discontinued dosing her.

Yesterday was a lovely sunny day and I sat out on my patio (deck) and decided to leave the back door open to let some air into the kitchen and perhaps give the girlies a look out. I strongly want them to be able to go out, even though handling them is difficult. I was a bit scared in case they made a dash for it but thought they would not.

Anyway, veeeerrrry hesitantly, after some minutes Tuxy approached the door. She peered out. She looked guiltily at me. She retreated. She came back and peered out. Crypto thought she would have a look too and even more hesitantly came to the door. Tuxy slunk/oiled herself out of the door and behind a plant pot. Crypto waited and nothing bad happened so she stepped onto the door mat. All this accompanied by much sniffing and careful assessment from both.

New noises startled them both back inside several times. Next door's dog barked: back inside. A plane overhead: back inside. A movement from me: back inside. Tuxy decided to chew the leaves of a plant I have removed from the kitchen (where she has eaten the leaf tips) to outside; when I said, "No, Tuxy!" she backed off and went back in immediately.

I let them explore the wall and door and patio near the kitchen quite thoroughly and then at their own volition they went back inside for the severalth time. At this I shut them in and gave them some food.

They were out for maybe 15-20 mins and reluctant to stray far, and made sure they knew where safety was.

I may let them have another explore tonight. Before feeding them. They are desperately hungry. They will now only eat Go-Cat (of which I have run out) and have turned up their noses at the nice-looking tinned food and the biscuits of a different type. Stay hungry, then, see if I care (well I do). If they go out tonight, they will of a certainty respond to the rattle of the Go-Cat box.

Edited by Twinky

Well, I have had them out a little today, as well. It was such a hot sunny day. I left the door open and encouraged them out. They were hesitant. Crypto explored more than Tuxy. They both enjoyed a good roll on the warm concrete of the patio. They flopped down together to lie on the doormat in the sun - never seen them lie down together before. After a while Tuxy got up and went inside into the shade!

It is good they are getting a little more familiar with the outdoors environment and that they aren'[t in a hurry to bolt off, which was my main concern.