GreaseSpot Cafe

in bed by midnight

cheranne

In by midnight? Yeah, I remember. Went WOW in 1982 and had always wanted to see Jerry E. Lewis perform, but had to leave promptly in time to

fulfill that silly rule (no exceptions) and so missed most of his concert. Oh, and yes had to get permission to see my own Grandmother when she

was just a few miles away at the PTL club. OMG, sometimes I can't believe I actually did those things.

And now that I remember....having to hang the pictures....just so....cuz it might warp your mind to look at a picture that was off a mm or 2....LOL

And if you made a mistake???? We won't go there.

Oh, well, why not....I had believed big time to be sent to sunny California for my WOW year...but when I opened the envelope....North Carolina?????

Naaawwww! But then....received a letter from this woman. "Dear Daughter....How do like San Diego????....Love Mom!"

Apparently, that year there were two women with the same name and they switched cards....Now that was REAL SPIRITUAL! So they sent a

family WOW to a single family and what do you want to bet, the other woman was "SINGLE and got sent to a family WOW home. Then later they

must of realized that they mis-filed the cards and so sent the other woman's mail to me, where she was probably believing to be sent and couldn't

understand why the Lord sent her to sunny California. Probably hated California, too.

When I left I stopped tithing....AND OMG, I ACTUALLY COULD AFFORD RENT WHERE IIIIII WANTED TO LIVE. HOW DID THAT HAPPEN?

Also, I let my place get sooooooo messssssyyyyyy...and if anyone said anything???? I told them it was THERAPEUTIC!

Reverse brain washing. My My, the looks on their faces.

I knew a limb coord and his wife who watched a ton of TV. Law and Order, the X-files, and Friends were their favourite. (There were many more in addition to these that they watched) But they really were into the Young and the Restless. The husband once told me that watching this soap together made them closer. He even said he admired the character of Ryan McNeil and had learned things about being a man from him. I'm not kidding.

Yet they were the first to rage on about how others spent their time. I didn't have the time they did to watch TV. But they'd give me an earful about wisely stewerding my time if I wanted to visit with my family on a holiday.

They were both full time paid staff, and they often required us to come over to clean their house and babysit. (For free of course) I worked full time, and ran a twig and attended all those twi meetings but they wanted me to have an "opportunity to give."

The idea for stringing chairs is a symptom of OCD.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha happy !!!!!!!!!!!

--

maybe the one-eyed monster should have been put to bed before midnight, eh ?

... would occasionally throw open my bedroom door (a room I shared with my WOW sister) to make sure we were really awake.

Where was bonehead born? In a barn?

Had he never heard of knocking before entering a room?

sheeshhhhh.......... pathetic... basic human skills missing... and he called himself a LEADER :doh:

My eyes just won't stop rolling :rolleyes:

maybe the one-eyed monster should have been put to bed before midnight, eh ?

Excie....

TOUCHÉ!!!!!!!

Edited by A la prochaine

I began to see something was wrong with twi when i met my husband at army school. The army was discipline enough but then as a military wow i not only had to be up before i ran two miles ,and do more that anyone by 9am but if i went out with him, i had to be home by midnght,he said okay what will happen if your not! What if this what if that....the first thing i bought when i had money because before when i was in twi i really didn't have much of anything,living out of a suitcase (travel light,i think they meant in the pocketbook!)anyway i got this little tv to watch during guard duty and just couldn't believe how the world had changed in 4 yrs,i felt amish or something. How did YOU feel and what was the first thing you bought fr YOURSELF?

Soundzgood to me. Also, having to be in bed by midnight offsets possible sleep depravation. I believe they had that rule for corps as well ...

Hmmm...Depravation = Moral Corruption

Deprivation = Loss

While twi certainly could have used some rules to offset "depravation", unfortunately the leaders were too busy practicing it...or as excathedra said "maybe the one-eyed monster should have been put to bed before midnight, eh ?"

I know it was just a spelling goof...but just look what happens when you change a letter ~ lol :biglaugh:

Soundzgood to me. Also, having to be in bed by midnight offsets possible sleep depravation. I believe they had that rule for corps as well ...

If only...

But to pack the hours in the day that would mean they made us get up at 4 or 5 am. Which they did on snow shoveling days.

Just had to comment on being out of the "world" for 13 years and then returning. I felt like I knew nothing!! Things had changed and I didn't even know they had changed! Technology, just all kinds of things. At the time I felt weird and overwhelmed with it all.....

It took some time to adjust and to find out, what did happen all those years. I don't think I watched one TV show and definitely did not listen to the news on radio or TV........

Maybe it didn't hurt not to know what was going on......But coming back to it, I described it as a culture shock!! I remember saying to my friends, once I made some, I'm not used to being in this world.......But that's how I felt. Like this was so out of my element.

In Bed By midnight on the wow field.....didn't have to force me! But I will tell you what I thought the strangest thing on the field, was getting confronted for eating without the coordinator one night.......waiting the next night and getting confronted because we didn't go ahead and eat. The rules constantly changed.....and you just didn't know what to do.

Glad I don't have those kinds of problems now!!

In by midnight? Yeah, I remember. Went WOW in 1982 and had always wanted to see Jerry E. Lewis perform, but had to leave promptly in time to

fulfill that silly rule (no exceptions) and so missed most of his concert. Oh, and yes had to get permission to see my own Grandmother when she

was just a few miles away at the PTL club. OMG, sometimes I can't believe I actually did those things.

And now that I remember....having to hang the pictures....just so....cuz it might warp your mind to look at a picture that was off a mm or 2....LOL

And if you made a mistake???? We won't go there.

Oh, well, why not....I had believed big time to be sent to sunny California for my WOW year...but when I opened the envelope....North Carolina?????

Naaawwww! But then....received a letter from this woman. "Dear Daughter....How do like San Diego????....Love Mom!"

Apparently, that year there were two women with the same name and they switched cards....Now that was REAL SPIRITUAL! So they sent a

family WOW to a single family and what do you want to bet, the other woman was "SINGLE and got sent to a family WOW home. Then later they

must of realized that they mis-filed the cards and so sent the other woman's mail to me, where she was probably believing to be sent and couldn't

understand why the Lord sent her to sunny California. Probably hated California, too.

When I left I stopped tithing....AND OMG, I ACTUALLY COULD AFFORD RENT WHERE IIIIII WANTED TO LIVE. HOW DID THAT HAPPEN?

Also, I let my place get sooooooo messssssyyyyyy...and if anyone said anything???? I told them it was THERAPEUTIC!

Reverse brain washing. My My, the looks on their faces.

I think twi decided where to send wows this way.

As soon as someone would sign up to go wow, they would go play COW PLOP BINGO WITH

OUR CARDS!

• 4 weeks later...

Kind of bumping this up instead of starting a new thread on "sleep deprivation." It's pretty well accepted and known throughout the world that sleep deprivation is a form of torture. After three days and nights of sleep deprivation, hallucinations set in followed by psychosis, eventually by acquiescence.

Now in FLO we were to sleep from 12:00 AM to 5:00 am, a grand total of 5 hours of sleep. However, in 1974 when I was in WOW training, the eminent physician/psychologist/MOG HRA informed us that the human body requires a maximum, mind you not a minimum but A MAXIMUM of 4 hours sleep out of every 24 hour period. I actually heard a woman 6th WC grad teach this as part of the Prov 31 virtuous woman thing, many years later. I've heard other non-TWI women teach on this regarding the potential slothfulness of a Christian woman who sleeps in really late, lolling in bed until around 5:30 AM!

For years I have felt great guilt at my slothfulness. It started on the WOW field, although my WC WOW sister assured me with much scorn that HRA himself got far more than 4 hours sleep out of every 24 hour period. Continued throughout FLO, to WA where I heard the aforementioned woman teach, then on to my present church after hearing a woman teach on being a woman after God's own heart until last Sunday, where our young associate pastor taught on "rest." He strongly encouraged those of us who were yawning in the congregation to go home and enjoy a GUILT FREE NAP. I did so. I enjoyed it immensely. Mr. Garden, who takes a completely guilt-free nap whenever he feels like it, rejoiced at his rested, grump-and-guilt-free wife.

Yes, I am free from guilt at napping. I now snuggle down in the big lounge chair underneath my grandmother's Scottish mohair "throw," its fuzzy shagginess more comforting than anything I know other than angel's whisper, warm and soft, and in the resultant peaceful environment, snooze away.

But I wonder, do others remember that guilt heaped upon us. Waysider and I have reminisced about the shock of being ripped from our warm beds and forced to hurriedly dress and drive 25 or so miles to the outer limits of Ohio countryside to be ranted at by a napoleonic madman over nothing, dismissed from the program as having been weighed in the balance and found wanting, only to be reinstated after sufficient humiliation had been heaped upon our exhausted and unsuspecting souls.

I remember hearing of some hapless 4th WC guy who got so sleep deprived he dozed off during a run and fell into a ditch. I remember hearing of my former WOW brother E.O., who during the 7th WC crawled into a fresh hole he had dug for tree planting, and had a nap safely hidden away until time came to plant the tree, when he was fortunately discovered before being buried alive underneath a sapling.

Was this a side effect of a rigorous program, or a deliberate attempt at torture to brainwashing? In my second year of FLO I sort of suspected the latter but I was too tired to do anyting about it and I just wanted to graduate and marry Mr. Garden.

WG

In a strange sort of way, this stuff kinda tickles my funny-bone.

I remember our first year in FLO, the mens coordinator gave us a sermon of sorts on the wastefulness of sleep.

He went on to actually state that if a person could speak in tongues enough, said person could eliminate the need for sleep altogether.

I think he cited that stuff from PLAF about SIT being rest to the soul or something.

Shortly thereafter, maybe even the next morning, he failed to appear for morning fellowship.

I think we all just sat there in silence on that cold floor until it was time for our morning run.

That night or next morning we got blasted for not taking the bull by the horns and running the meeting without him.

Then, when it happened again, someone awakened him and we got blasted again for waking him.

That might not be exactly accurate but that's the essence of it.

Most likely, folks who are reading this don't realize that we were required to work secular jobs (minimum 40 hours) in addition to all the FLO required work. Some of the people worked in a steel foundry that was hotter than blazes even in the dead of winter. Others worked in a stove factory that averaged 4 to 5 squad runs per week due to serious safety infractions. If you wanted to work somewhere other than those two places, you pretty much had to drive into the city which was about 20 miles away, which is what I did.

There was virtually zero down-time other than that 5 hour stretch at night.

And that was sometimes eliminated if the house leader decided there was an urgent need to clean the house from top to bottom or the limb leader decided he needed us to work all night to lay sod around a fire circle in the middle of nowhere.

Sneaking a nap was virtually impossible.

And to make matters worse, our meals were highly inadequate in caloric intake for the pace we were required to maintain.

Though I must say, Mr. Garden did an admirable job of making sure "the garden" yielded produce at it's maximum potential.

And, oh yeah, "no talking after midnight"------as if anyone was still awake at 12:01!!

I remember the times our oh so beloved legalistic BC overslept. By the way he was a napper too, according to Mr. Garden, who was the house coordinator where he snoozed away, and took he also 30 minute showers. R.H.I.P., I guess. My first house coordinator limited us to 5 minute showers, only if we had long hair and needed 2 extra minutes to shampoo it.

I drove the 20 miles, too. Then back to Limb to a scrumptuous meal of wilted mustard greens.

The Friendly's closed a few years ago, The Wayside is now a Marathon (but with Crispy Creme doughnuts) and the Wagon Wheel has undergone several metamorphoses.

Me, I just sleep under the mohair throw, a few miles east of those apartments.

Oh, yeah, forget the morning run - there's a Grace Brethren church where the cow pasture used to be.

With a cross on it.

Delicious irony.

WG

i love that their is a cross on it. isn't that ironic!

Maybe its the cross they cut offfrom the way college.

You know even in the Army you get some sleep and you eat well but given the fact you are training for war

you are constantly tested,but in The Way.................please how many chairs can you string! They treated

that as if it was an emergency room procedure and it starts right in session one don't let your babe dose off

keep him alert for the class!!!!

Oh and I forgot, the L&K where those of us who could stopped for a real breakfast on the way to work has changed identities a few times also.

That was the one time in my life when I could pretty much eat what I wanted and not gain weight. The food we ate was organically grown, extremely healthful and highly nutritious, but there just wasn't enough of it. One poor fellow used to beg for seconds and thirds, and even occasionally go around to different tables toward the end of the meal, almost literally begging. I think he worked in the stove factory.

Between the sleep deprivation, lack of adequate nutrition, hard work, lack of medical attention, and depressing incidents, it's a wonder any of us survived.

WG