GreaseSpot Cafe

Pick a Car!

Cindy!

Now that I have my new car, I'm trying to get Steve! to come up with HIS dream car so we can get it for him in a few months.

He doesn't have a dream car......he says that since he could never think of what HE wanted before marrying me, he just hasn't put any thought into it.

LETS HELP HIM THINK!!!!!!

What would be your dream car ......

...what make, model, year....

...and why????......

Maybe we can give him some ideas!!!!!!

Come on myStevey....you chime in, too!!!!!

i STILL like those old vw buses from the 60's.like the one in the movie "cars" but steve (if that is steve in that little picture)look like more of a nascar guy to me,maybe a chevy guy(thats a compliment where i come from!)

I'd probably get another Civic coupe, only this time an SI coupe. I prefer manual transmissions and a lot of zip, but with good gas mileage. Toyota Solara's look good too, but I doubt I'd get a convertible, since Ohio is either hot or cold, with not much spring and fall as a general rule. A couple would do just fine.

The Solstice is a fine looking automobile, too, I might add.

WG

Edited by Watered Garden

If you're gonna blow all that money, then you may as well get something good.

Although the Citroen DS Palas was probably the ULTIMATE automobile ever made, this one isn't too far behind.

800px-Citroen_SM_at_Anet.jpg

Citroen SM with Maserati engine

Although "Citroen" is the French word for "lemon" (I think), it's not your typical WOWmobile.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-Citroe...tem280196403159

Yes, the Citroens have always been pretty odd looking. the DS Pallas was VERY peculiar, although very recognizable.

800px-1974_Citroen_D-Special_02.jpg

Citroen DS

Note the inner headlight swivels to match the direction of the front tire.

It's unusual appearance was a result of a design that gave it a very low center of gravity and an aerodynamic design enabling it to get between 40 and 50 mpg and nearly impossible to roll.

It's low center of gravity and it's unique "hydropneumatic" suspension allowed the driver to continue driving safely on three wheels in the event of a blowout and when you did change the tire, you could lift the wheel with the flat tire independently, from inside the car with a lever, eliminating the need for a jack.

Part of the sales pitch of the car was jumping a curb at about 10 or 15 MPH with a cup of coffee balanced on your knee.

It had many other safety features making it, probably, the safest car ever made as well as almost indestructible.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say, and for me, function trumps appearance. So I guess it's just MY dream car.

Edited by Ron G.

I'd be so content with an old army jeep that I could drive on any type of terrain and a little old pick-up truck to haul driftwood!

All terrain! Now if that's what your needing you need a Duck. You could just pick up the driftwood as you float by. Now Cowgirl as I remember you are a certified duck driver, as a matter of fact if my memory is correct I believe it was this one Kenmore Karla that you drove in the Boston harbor. Quack Quack.... eh?

05_gallery_img.jpg

We looked at the Solstice, and it turned out to be too small - I'm 6'2", and my knees would have been in my face in that car.

We looked at a Honda CR-V, which is kinda sporty, but not quite "it".

We looked at a Pontiac G6, with its retractable hardtop, and that wasn't quite "it". The Pontiac dealer also deals Hyundais and Buicks, but none of them appealed to me.

Then we went to Mitsubishi.

I test drove an Eclipse Spyder.

I fell in love with it the moment I sat in it.

I take delivery of it Monday. Here's a pic of a 2007, but it's almost exactly the same as the 2008.

Oh, and just like with the Outlook, we really didn't intend to buy a car today. We were only going to comparison shop, and do test drives, and stuff.

But they wouldn't take no for an answer, and they even let us leave them a post-dated check. And they came down a couple thousand on the price.

Next week we will not be shopping for a mortgage.

post-413-1202001696_thumb.jpg

Edited by Steve!

Honestly -- you can't beat owning a Subaru. :)

You've got a choice of sedan, wagon, or SUV -- and they JUST DON'T BREAK.

All wheel drive (all the time), and gas mileage that beats most other cars.

I have a Subaru Legacy (sedan) that get's better gas mileage than my folk's

Honda Odessey Van, and their Civic Hybrid. ;)

(P.S. --- It's faster too!!) :biglaugh:

(edited fer speeling --- :( )

Edited by dmiller

It's been a long, hard road going through a chapter 13 bankruptcy with a new marriage and four kids that aren't yours. We've had so very many challenges through the last few years and had to give up so much that we and our kids didn't really want to do without. Yet through it all, Steve! has been loving, supportive, standing with me when we hired lawyers to fight for the rights of our kids, my staying home from work on unpaid leave to help our kids, working together on all the financial cutbacks we had to institute in our family. Steve has been working side by side with me and our kids, being loving, patient, positive, applying discipline when needed, and also allowing me to direct how we handle the kids...through some very difficult times. (hospitalizations for four of us in the family, schools that didn't "get" what real education is, pregnancy and miscarriage for one of our kids, bi-polar and adhd diagnosis in some our kids, my exhusband...the list goes on)

So I guess it goes without saying that we've gone through a bit.....come out on the other end.....and are still so much in love with each other as a family and as husband and wife. I think that is why I feel so strongly that.....

It was so very sweet to watch mystevey's excitement as we looked at and test drove the eclipse. His eyes were so lit up, so excited, as he got to chose whatever options he wanted!!! It's sporty, but it is also practical in that he or I can drive a kid or two to whatever they need to go to (sports events, games, mall days, etc...) When he put the top down during the test drive and when the car growled as it accelerated, he was chuckling....it was adorable!!!!!!

And watching him negotiate for a better deal.....my heart was just swelling with love for this man who has been denied his dreams in the past, for so many years and can finally be who he really is. I was also very proud of him for getting them to take THOUSANDS off of the MSRP. (though he confessed to me later that he didn't do the cut-throat bargaining he usually would have done because he was so in-love with that car.....I told him I thought he did wonderfully and that the price was very fair for the great car we are getting)

On a more personal note....it was more thrilling for me than I can express to watch the man I was born to be with cut loose and get exactly what he wanted to get, without worrying about a parent, partner, or spouse ragging on him to achieve their own agenda. I LOVE seeing him come out of his years of being denied his dreams and being clear about and going after those dreams because he knows he can.

We have champagne chilling in the fridge for when we drive his dream car home Monday night!!!

Congratulations, my darling!!!!!