GreaseSpot Cafe

One of the chapters in my life

Dot Matrix

Life is made up of many stories and I suppose I am to post about TWI here. But today I do not feel like it. I want to post another story of my life.

Once upon a time, a tall guy asked me to go out with him and I really did not want to go. I had just gotten out of a relationship and I was not interested in getting into something. But he persisted and I caved. And our first date was on a carousel in California. And as the horses went up and down I found this guy was a lot of fun. Next, we went to the tide pools and looked at all the little creatures as the tide pulled back and left them struggling in the puddles cupped out of sand. We had a great day of fun and adventure.

This man was multifaceted and appeared to be able to accomplish anything. He was an expert pool player, bowler, basketball player, swimmer, racket ball player and could do just about anything sports oriented. He was impressive. He was full of life and personality. He was more than I could handle.

I was more of a homebody (and just got out of the "corps cult"). I like to write, draw, sing, craft screen plays and read books. But as they say “Opposites attract.”

He said, from the first time he saw me, that he was going to marry me, and eventually that is what happened.

The things we had in common were the deeper things. Our politics, our generosity, love for animals and we prayed together. We also loved to go to the movies, the beach, have Sunday mornings in bed and we both loved to laugh.

Then, I am not sure what happened. I guess the pressures of life. Job layoffs, stuff, bills piling up, stress…. I am not sure what made the mess, I just know one day it was there between us and I did not know how to scale it, so that we could find one another again. I wanted him to love me and I am sure he felt the same way, but it was almost too painful to say out loud. Where did this chasm come from? And where did the conversation and laughter go?

I missed him. And he was sitting next to me. Isn’t that sad?

Now we are weeks from the divorce being over

And I do not know what happened. And yet, if I slow it down like watching a movie of a car accident frame by frame – I can see it but I am not sure how we would have stopped it.

He is helping me get the house in order as he knows I am at an age where I cannot take a financial hit and survive. He has done a beautiful job. But to see him in the house with his tall frame and broad shoulders in the doorway – my mind snaps pictures as if each thing I am seeing is the last time I shall see it. I am sad and broken hearted about this. I just wish that years ago, I had the magic words to reach through all this and fix it.

Many a man would have just said “it is over” and left, not caring where it left me, but he has a sense of obligation that is compelling and it is that strength I shall cry for – years from now. I will wonder why I did not find love when I think I had it, but just did not know how to keep it.

Love isn’t Hollywood magic. It is two people, complex with feelings and needs trying to make a life with each other and some fail while others make it.

We did not have A song we had a music medley of life. I can look at different stages we lived through these past twenty years and hear us singing different songs at different times. When we moved we sang Blind Melons song about rain the whole drive. Each Christmas we sang “Oh the, weather outside is frightful….” And when we dance I hear that old song “Roll with me baby….” Cause I watched him dance, as if he were a professional, to it one night in San Diego. Then, there is the theme song of our first year together, “Now, I’m having the time of my life…. And I owe it all to you….”

And yes, husband, endings are bad… that is why they end. But in the beginning, I was having the time of my life and I do/did owe it all to you….

Good bye, I wish you happiness

I miss you

Edited by Dot Matrix

Please gser's do not try and comfort me by writing anything negative about him, I just want to let this sit here the way it is, thanks. There were negative things about both of us. I just don't know how it all becomes unfixable.

Husband, you taught me many things; You taught me to be resourceful, to look at the second page of the newspaper and never just the headline, to follow the money, that we really can do anything we set our minds to do, that the stock market it a carnival enticing the unlearned out of their money by tricks and manipulation (invest wisely), to not get personal at work, to change the oil in my car every 3000 miles, and to get the trash out on Monday mornings.

You made the best omelets I have ever eaten. I have enjoyed starting my day with Joyce Meyer (God stuff that is made fun) with you for the past umpteen years… Thank you for fresh coffee, waxing my car, mowing the lawn, painting the house, having fun movies ready for the weekends and all the neat stuff you have done in years gone by.

Husband, for anything I ever did to hurt you, I am sorry. Somehow life became bigger than I could manage and I let it defeat me and us and for my part in that I am sorry. And for your part in that, I forgive you.

I release this to God and may he somehow direct and guide us to know him better so we never hurt another person or get hurt like this again.

Edited by Dot Matrix

He has been great and he said I never posted any of his good stuff and it dawned on me, I didn't. I had vented, and searched but never shared all the amazing things that attracted me to begin with.

He is very smart, resourceful, funny and lively. He is the life of a party. And when he enters a room he has "presence". The "it" factor that has people turn around and notice him.

At a neighbors Christmas party one year, he began talking and it was like the E. F. Hutt0n commercials- where everyone stopped and listened.... he was so funny.

Our neighbor smokes and is older so, in years past, husband would go over and mow his lawn for him, never expecting any money or a thank you. And when we first met we were all broke working at a job. This one girl kept saying she was starving.... When the breakfast mobile came, he took his last bit of change and bought her breakfast, instead of himself.

When he sees older people he always tries to make them feel comfortable, especially if they are handicapped. One day, in a store, a woman in a wheel chair came around the corner and husband told her, "Okay there Mario, you have the right of way!!" They woman beamed from ear to ear.

When he was a big manager it was common that they did not talk to people beneath them... Not husband, he passed this man who would be on his knees doing the floor each morning (working hard). Husband went over to him and shook his hand and asked his name... Then, every morning husband would say "good morning" to the fellow using his name. Well, husband's office was the cleanest office in the place!!!!

Husband shines when he is among people. He does his best when he has a group of people to lead and in years past, he made the kind of boss you would have enjoyed working for.... If you did a good job and he knew your kid played ball -- he's let you go an hour early to catch the game. This kind of boss made people work harder and better!

When he was working, he was one of the "shiny" people. He thrives on leadership and was a fair and kind one in a cold corporate world.

There are MANY things I am proud of....

Dot, again, you amaze me with your writing ability. Everything that you wrote about your better half is something anyone with any amount of living time can relate to. Does that surprise you? I know that sometimes we feel alone in our feelings. We hear those thoughts in our hearts and our minds and wonder if we are the only ones who feel this way. Does anyone else have these emotions? These thoughts of looking back and see the benefits to this ride together with this person? The answer is everyone else does! So we are not alone.

I myself have looked back at some of the people who I spent some time with and admired, and who added to my life. I liken the experience in each one to the old west where a lone horseman comes upon another and says, "can I ride with you a while?" And they traverse the praries talking and riding, and looking into a starry night sky with the bright illumination of a camp fire that the two built. Sharing some grub, drinking some coffee. Hanging out. Eventually the riders part with a waive of their hands and again rider and horse are off to other lands.

Sounds like your experience. Are there good reasons for why the ride ends? Sometimes. Sometimes ones that you know. Some that you will come to know in time. As a songwriter, I have been working on just this idea. I met a certain someone; and, at that time of my life, this person was everything I was looking for and thought I needed. I was on the highest high because the energy was so high and so inspiring. Then, without warning, within minutes of talking to this person, the accident occurred and it didn't look good. I was stunned. Alarmed. What happened? This isn't happening. Wake up, wake up. THe long wait at the hospital creating my making bargains with God. Puleez, I will take this person whole, broken, whatever, just puleez make them open their eyes. To no avail. Pronounced dead. And I was eighteen. I cried so hard, I felt pain in my chest and I thought, "this is what being heartbroke means". My tear ducts ran dry. My mouth just moaned the word "why'? I couldn't get a sound out anymore. So the whole cycle began. Disbelief. Shock. Denial. Reasons why it happened.

And in a self-exploration course of artistry, I found my reasons why from that age of eighteen were not the reasons I can state today. I was idealistic back in the day and searching for.. oh, hell, I don't know what I was searching for.

Then I met another person who really impacted my life. God had a real sense of humour there. Take the raw material of personality, talent, likes and dislikes and put them in a package that the ole MH will find attractive. And I tried to find ways to say, no one will ever replace my best friend. No, no. Not now, not ever. Well, we met. Then we talked. Then we talked and played music. Sometimes breaking out the Les Pauls; sometimes breaking out our albums and 45s. Music was our common bond. I thought, well, I am always interested in someone who has the passion for music. Then oh-oh. Slowly but surely the friendship grew. I struggled to surpress the disloyalty feelings. I struggled with my own poor self-image feelings. And here was a bottle of sunshine. Always more positive than I was. Then the attraction turned more serious. I actually fell "in love".

My rational mind could not understand the butterflies emotions. After some time, it was evident to both of us that being friends is what we did best together. And it was as smooth a transition as anything I had ever encountered. No problems. And it really worked. A couple years later, I am summoned to their bedside in a hospital. I took one look and became overwhelmed with the feelings I had when I was 17. The pain I felt then came back and I realized that I still hadn't "really" gotten over anything.

I just put it away. But under the right set of circumstances, there it was as raw as the day of the accident. I left. I felt bad. I felt like I should have done something different. But the friend, who at one point was near death, understood and reached out to say that they could see in my face the pain. And they knew I had to leave. This friend did pull through and today we are still friends.

Then I met another person, a lady who was very self-less, passionate, and animated. This warm fire beckoned my attention. And the conversation began. There were several more after and after each time, I walked away slightly changed. I had come from a hard upbringing; cold and distant people in emotion. And here was this person who was very open and vulnerable. Somehow, by her shear presence, I was able to soften up a little; be a little less cynical; curb my sarcasm defense. She was light-hearted and sweet, strong and fiery, and in all those things: magnetic. The life journey with this person was incredibly short, and our paths split very abruptly. In my "adult" mind, I figured that this lady would go on to be very creative and find the ying partner to her yang personality. I knew that I would go on the road and be the musician and road dog where I was most happy. I had no plans to have any life partner. I was too much a maverick.

And I found you, that lady, twenty years later here. I wasn't really looking. But I knew early on. Probably before you knew who the the ole Masterherbalist was. I couldn't believe that those memories and impressions of you came flooding back. I read your heart in these posts and found the heart hasn't changed a bit. I found in the posts incidents of pain and my heart saddened as if no time at all had passed and we were still hanging out together. I wanted to come to your aid; I wanted to comfort your soul; I wanted to put my arms around you and tell you how much your life has meant to me. I wanted to tell you that your impact goes far beyond what you imagine in your mind. I wanted to tell you that I am a better person for meeting you. I wanted to tell you that you have a place in my heart-always. And though, back in the day, we think we knew the reasons why we met, I can sit here today and tell you they don't come close to the many reasons I can think of today.

Your post simply inspired me to share with you. Hopefully there are some tidbits of benefit here. The parting of riders can be hard because over time, our lives entwine and we tend to forget what being single riders feels like. But if your journey takes you "this way", I would be proud to ride with you.

Much love,

The Masterherbalist

Dot... your posts have moved me to tears because they describe the phenomenon so well... the sense of looking up one day and realizing you no longer recognize your surroundings and you aren't sure how you got where you are, and you wish you could go back and fix it, but you can't. All you can do is keep moving forward from where you are. That's the way life works. And it's terribly sad. And the only good thing is that because that's the way life works, you can find joy and love and whatever else you hope to find. It's out there. And even though you probably feel like sitting still right now, not even thinking about what comes next, eventually you will get up and start moving forward again, and one day you will look up and realize you are in a good place and that it's okay for you to be happy again.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, sweetie.

Dot,

That was so beautiful.... You expressed fractured relationships so precisely and in a way that makes them easier (for me, anyway) to accept and understand. I hope you can keep writing. I would love to read more of your insights on life's changes, surprises, tragedies, triumphs. Peace and comfort to you.

• 2 weeks later...

You, my sister, are clothed in the words of our prayers.

Our Father knows your needs better than anyone and He is tenderly, quietly encouraging the troubled heart.

Your mind and emotions, which are true tools most times in life, can turn the most "balanced soul" into a prisoner of pain and confusion.

It is hard, going through change. As humans, we want safe. We want sure. We want things to be "forever".

But life makes us gypsies in this life. The only constant is change. As we fight to hold back the change, we injure ourselves.

Sometimes we want to hold our breath and swim through the trouble, hoping that when we pop up for air that the struggle has passed.

This year I am studying about what is the learning afforded in these events. How to harness the emotional power and have the mind examine those emotions. And to give its blessing that those emotions are human and good. And then how to use those emotions and understanding of them to devise the next hour, day, month of my life. What building blocks are there? Asking the Great Spirit to speak to my heart and teach me. Then making myself as blank a page as possible so that I can hear that still small voice.

Reminds me of the Byrds' song, Turn, Turn, Turn. There is a time for every season. So there is a time to cry and get the pain and hurt vocalized. But then there is a time to reflect. A time to build. A time to restore. A time for change. Doing so does not change or minimize the pain, but it acts as a compass for our vessel. It gives us purpose though we know not where the sailing will take us. We will sail. Our heavenly Father knows the waters well.

Our heartfelt love and prayers continue for you. YOU are the glory of the Lord; everywhere you walk, every action you take, the glory of the Lord is manifested. Like our big brother, Jesus, there is nothing we can't do. We limit the power by our own minds and limitations. Our foot is on the hose and the water trickles out. Our foot is off the hose and the water springs abundant. He abides within you. The reflection in the mirror is not the dead man nature, but the glory of the Lord.

You are AWESOME! Continued love and healing to you, from the masterherbalist.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Dot. I am not on here much now that I watch my baby nephew 5+ days a week, and some nights!!!

But I have read your story and have prayed much for you!!!

If you ever come near here, please let me know and I will meet you.

Hubby and and I want to come to your hometown to go to the aquarium and also my baby nephew's grandparents live there.

You are a strong, wonderful lady. Remind yourself of that everyday. You are a child of God's and that is a very important thing!!!

Thank you

He left this morning. It was bitter/sweet. It has been so rough, it was a relief, but all the hope of "fixing things," all the dreams, all the things that were"going to happen," drove off down the street with him.

The Doc, I work for, was speaking to a client and they chattered about going to Europe with their spouses. I recall, when times were good; we planned trips, and I planned to take him to Ireland as a surprise as I tried to save money. As these people chatted -- I thought "We used to be PEOPLE." People with dreams, with plans, with old age in mind. We had history between us.

Then, piece by piece it turned into silence, mistrust and loneliness. How lonely is it to sit next to a spouse who does not desire your presence? How stressful to search for "small talk" that will not ignite the flames of another argument? Which topic is benign and which has seeds to flare? To be cold and want the warmth of human touch but be afraid of another rejection? So, instead - you just sit there. Saying nothing becomes more safe than speaking, it is easier to reach for a blanket then the hand of potential rejection when seeking warmth...

He'd have laughter on the phone with a caller (I did not know) and how I wished I could recaptured THAT between us... Then, drive myself crazy wondering WHO the caller was...

He would have fought an army for me, with his bare hands, at one time, now I am afraid to reach for those hands.

I miss the beginning -- all the awareness of the other person

I miss the middle -- the growth and planting of things to come

But I never want another end -- the destruction of all that has been built, the changing of the awareness you thought you had, the uncertainness of anything but failure.

I cannot survive another one

I KNOW he wanted to reach past the troubled waters that raced between us, but he did not know how. There were times I am sure he tried but they were probably days I had given up. I do not know anything quite so heavy as a broken heart. Too much to carry...

So, he left this morning and God will have to swoop each of us into his arms and carry us for awhile, for we are too weak to stand in our humanness.

May we each be filled by Jesus. Amen

• 4 weeks later...

Dot,

Your words bring back so many memories for me, and with those memories come a smile and a tear.

It gets easier, most of the time anyway. There are times however...

You are both in my prayers.