GreaseSpot Cafe

One flew over the vicster's nest

Ham

Other recent topics got me thinking of this.

So much of the twi experience toward the end of my involvement reminds me of kesey's description of the patients in One flew over the Cuckoos' nest.

He describes the young acute patients as being nervous, afraid to laugh too hard, afraid that a team of "docs" would try to figure out why they were happy..

really.. that was "us" here. If one was really happy, the branch guy's wife would insist on finding out WHY..

:biglaugh:

and then there's the Chronics. The culls of the ward..

look at donna, rosie.. some of the others.. they couldn't function in real society if their life depended on it.. even loy- I think he wouldn't have survived unless they kept treating him as an outpatient.

donna probably wouldn't last a week..

so they sit, depending on others to feed, clothe, and bath them..

the lawyers probably have free reign.. they know the meal ticket quite well. Just keep litigating.. keep the organization afloat one way or another.. maybe they have some kinda legal conservatorship or something..

Great analogy Ham. Rosey as ratchet ...hee hee

I think the lobotomized ones are those whom never get to the point where they can question what they were taught....locked forever in the tight little rison manufactred for us by twi doctrine.

The rest had someone break through those walls...cause cracks that let the brilliant sunshine from the outside into our dark tiny little prisons...we strove for the light...breaking down the rest of the walls the held us.

Great analogy Ham. Rosey as ratchet ...hee hee

I think the lobotomized ones are those whom never get to the point where they can question what they were taught....locked forever in the tight little rison manufactred for us by twi doctrine.

The rest had someone break through those walls...cause cracks that let the brilliant sunshine from the outside into our dark tiny little prisons...we strove for the light...breaking down the rest of the walls the held us.

Other recent topics got me thinking of this.

So much of the twi experience toward the end of my involvement reminds me of kesey's description of the patients in One flew over the Cuckoos' nest.

He describes the young acute patients as being nervous, afraid to laugh too hard, afraid that a team of "docs" would try to figure out why they were happy..

really.. that was "us" here. If one was really happy, the branch guy's wife would insist on finding out WHY..

Excellent analogy! In our fellowship many people would not even laugh until they looked to see how our fearless leader (who happened to be the Limb coordinator also) was responding. There would be this awkward pause while all eyes turned toward him...if he cracked a smile, then the rest of the group would laugh.

Amazing how we willingly joined the loony bin, and paid dearly for the privilege of being "committed" :wacko:

Excellent analogy! In our fellowship many people would not even laugh until they looked to see how our fearless leader (who happened to be the Limb coordinator also) was responding. There would be this awkward pause while all eyes turned toward him...if he cracked a smile, then the rest of the group would laugh.

Amazing how we willingly joined the loony bin, and paid dearly for the privilege of being "committed" :wacko:

...until one day, like Chief, we tore the sink out of the floor and crashed it through the caged window. :spy:

That's even more interesting. How many of us were like that.. the quiet types, hanging around, thinking that was what life was supposed to be all about.

It took me a long long time to wake up and take an honest look at what I'd been observing for years, and to take an honest look at what I had become.

It can be frightening. Into one's forties, few real developed social skills.. few developed and documentable professional qualifications in anything.. a handful of alienated, though distant relatives, whom I had not seen for over twenty years.

the comfort on one side of the caged window isn't worth the price.

Edited by Ham

• 2 weeks later...