GreaseSpot Cafe

Healthier pancakes

Nottawayfer

I am trying to eat healthier. I'm trying to cut out most sugar (this is hard for me), white flour, white rice, and white anything except califlower.

I was craving pancakes one night when I was trying to figure out what I wanted for dinner. Then I remembered a recipe I had in my South Beach Cook Book. I don't follow that program, but it has some great ideas. Here's the recipe for the healthy pancakes.

1/2 C Old Fashioned Oats (not instant)

1/4 C Cottage Cheese (preferrably low fat)

4 Egg Whites

1 tsp vanilla

1/4 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp nutmeg

Process all of the ingredients in a blender and cook in a non-stick skillet with cooking spray.

I put 1 T peanut butter and 2 T low sugar preserves on my pancakes, and they are delicious!! You could use low sugar syrup if you are cutting out sugar, but I still have yet to find one I like.

Edited by Nottawayfer

Okay...try this. I invented it myself and it pleases the kid as well as me.

1 cup soy flour

1/2 cup vanilla flavored whey protein (powder)

3 tsp baking powder

3 tbsp Splenda...you can also sweeten it with an herb called "Stevia". I grow my own and don't really know if it can be bought anywhere.

1/2 tsp salt

2 egg whites

about a half cup lowfat milk (I often use buttermilk with 1 tspn baking soda as it's tastier, richer and the buttermilk is very lowfat)

Mix all the dry stuff in a bowl then add the egg whites and then enough milk to make what you'd consider pancake batter should be like after mixing it up.

Cook them on a non stick pan with spray stuff.

I don't use toppings besides butter, so you're on your own with that. Andrew uses jelly and I sometimes mix cinnamon with stevia or boil some water with maple flavoring and stevia for a real thin "syrup".

You can add 4 tbsp olive oil to the mix to make them richer, but that's an acquired taste, I think....just tastes buttery to me, but Andrew doesn't seem to care much for it.

Try it and I'll try yours. I doubt I'll use the oatmeal much since I'm more into low carb, but I'll try it.

How do you get the gluten out of corn?

The term gluten in reference to the cohesive, elastic protein mass remaining after starch is washed from a dough goes back to Beccari in 1745. Strictly speaking, gluten is found only in wheat because it is difficult to wash a cohesive protein mass even from rye, the closest relative to wheat, let alone from barley or oats or anything else. Unfortunately, a misuse of the term by the corn industry has become common in recent years. It has become fairly common to call corn storage proteins corn gluten. Personally, I think there is no justification for such usage. Corn may contain prolamins, as does wheat, but not gluten.