GreaseSpot Cafe

stargazing - Lunar eclipse 2/20/08

Kit Sober

Lunar Eclipse Helped Save Columbus

By Joe Rao,

Posted: 2008-02-10 16:20:18

Filed Under: Science News

(Feb. 8) - On the night of Feb. 20, the full moon will pass into Earth's shadow in an event that will be visible across all of the United States and Canada.

Christopher Columbus saved his famished men by tricking natives on Jamaica into feeding them in 1504. He predicted his Christian god would make the moon "inflamed with wrath" and do evil things to them if his men were not fed. A lunar eclipse appeared, fulfilling his prediction. How did he know it would happen?

Johannes Regiomontanus, a German scientist, published an almanac around that time. Columbus had the book that showed astronomical tables covering the years 1475-1506.

In the almanac solar and lunar eclipses are charted. Columbus studied tables in the book and discovered that a total eclipse of the moon would happen on Feb. 29, 1504.

Columbus called a meeting with the natives' chief and made the ominous prediction. When the moon glowed red as he had predicted, the frightened natives brought food to Columbus' men and begged for mercy.

The total lunar eclipse will be made even more striking by the presence of the nearby planet Saturn and the bright bluish star, Regulus.

Eclipses in the distant past often terrified viewers who took them as evil omens. Certain lunar eclipses had an overwhelming effect on historic events. One of the most famous examples is the trick pulled by Christopher Columbus.

Columbus, landing in America in 1492, told the natives he would confer with his god. When he returned, he said the moon would return to its natural state, and it did. The islanders continued to take care of Columbus and his men until the crew left Jamaica.

I had never heard this story before.

(Feb. 8) - On the night of Feb. 20, the full moon will pass into Earth's shadow in an event that will be visible across all of the United States and Canada.

Visible of course to the extent that the weather cooperates. That's where we start getting bugged.

There will be a total solar eclipse cutting across the heart of the country in August 2017. If I am still around here then I'll have to go to central or southeast NE to see it; dont remember without looking if it will cut across St. Louis or not.

Christopher Columbus saved his famished men by tricking natives on Jamaica into feeding them in 1504. He predicted his Christian god would make the moon "inflamed with wrath" and do evil things to them if his men were not fed. A lunar eclipse appeared, fulfilling his prediction. How did he know it would happen?

Johannes Regiomontanus, a German scientist, published an almanac around that time. Columbus had the book that showed astronomical tables covering the years 1475-1506.

In the almanac solar and lunar eclipses are charted. Columbus studied tables in the book and discovered that a total eclipse of the moon would happen on Feb. 29, 1504.

Columbus called a meeting with the natives' chief and made the ominous prediction. When the moon glowed red as he had predicted, the frightened natives brought food to Columbus' men and begged for mercy.

Just one more example of man using religion to get something for himself, eh??

That was beautiful!

Another moon story:

About 2 1/2 years ago, when he was three years old, my grandson was spending the night with me. We went out on the front porch and saw this huge harvest moon rising above the trees. "Wow! Wow! Wow!" said my grandson in amazement.

"That's a harvest moon." I told him. "Do you know who made it?"

"YEE-ZUS! And he made it just for me!" exclaimed the little guy. He was so full of wonder.

I hope he never loses his sense of wonder. I hope he never stops realizing how special he is.

WG