GreaseSpot Cafe

It's all about control

polar bear

I have just finshed a book called-The Reformation-By Dairmaid MacCullough

I have read a few books on the reformation but this one was very detailed.

It's all about control. Religion tries to control your mind, your actions and your finances.

It was interesting to note that the only time the King of France was a protestant the city of Paris would not allow him to enter. In fact he put Paris under siege and thirty thousand people starved to death in the name of Catholicism. He eventually ended the siege and converted to Catholicism so he could continue as King. After this the city of Paris allowed him to enter and accepted his reign as King.

All this in the name of religion.

I was amazed to see the Protestant cause was under relentless vicious attack because of the loss of control it offered the Catholic rulers.

This helped me to understand why it was so hard for me to change my mind about what I had been taught as truth. Religious beliefs are very powerful.

Also I was impressed by the fruit of the protestant cause.. For example the Protestants in the north were more productive in their economies and generally happier because they could read the bible in their native language and make up their own minds. They also made up their own hymns and songs.

The subsequent freedoms of speech that followed I believe leads to the freedoms we have today not only in speech but also in action. Thanks God for those reformers like Luther, Bucer, Calvin and Wesley.

Thank God for freedom. I'm in Key West right now and you can walk into a bar with no shoes or shirt and order a beer. Then you can take that beer and walk down the street and go into another bar with it and no one bothers you.

Try that at a Sunday service.

It's all about control. Religion tries to control your mind, your actions and your finances.

It was interesting to note that the only time the King of France was a protestant the city of Paris would not allow him to enter. In fact he put Paris under siege and thirty thousand people starved to death in the name of Catholicism. He eventually ended the siege and converted to Catholicism so he could continue as King. After this the city of Paris allowed him to enter and accepted his reign as King.

I was amazed to see the Protestant cause was under relentless vicious attack because of the loss of control it offered the Catholic rulers.

This helped me to understand why it was so hard for me to change my mind about what I had been taught as truth. Religious beliefs are very powerful.

Thanks PB

It seems apparent that Authoritarian Rulership (religious or political).....where strict, unbending policies and dominant rule overpower and castigate individual and community freedoms.....is a bondage and enslavement towards the independent-willed and revolutionary types.

Thus, when I look back at my twi tenure......I see Wierwille fixated on UNCONTESTED CONTROL.

EVERYTHING.......the "hook-shot founder".....The Teacher.....The Man of God bracelot he wore...the dominant figure of the "trustees"....headquartering at the wierwille homestead.....the corps/"marine corps" [complete with conspiracy theories].....the squelching of music talent & abilities in twi.... and etc. etc.

And, in ONE GENERATION.....poof!......it vanished. Yeah, some record of "greatness" for sure. :biglaugh:

Anyhoo..................

Polar Bear.............enjoy the sunshine and ENJOY YOUR FREEDOM.

:wave:

Thanks PB

It seems apparent that Authoritarian Rulership (religious or political).....where strict, unbending policies and dominant rule overpower and castigate individual and community freedoms.....is a bondage and enslavement towards the independent-willed and revolutionary types.

Thus, when I look back at my twi tenure......I see Wierwille fixated on UNCONTESTED CONTROL.

Ahhh, but is this not then just the back swing of the same pendulum?

Note: this is not a defense of TWI, by any stretch of the imagination.

Also I was impressed by the fruit of the protestant cause.. For example the Protestants in the north were more productive in their economies and generally happier because they could read the bible in their native language and make up their own minds. They also made up their own hymns and songs.

The subsequent freedoms of speech that followed I believe leads to the freedoms we have today not only in speech but also in action. Thanks God for those reformers like Luther, Bucer, Calvin and Wesley.

Thank God for freedom. I'm in Key West right now and you can walk into a bar with no shoes or shirt and order a beer. Then you can take that beer and walk down the street and go into another bar with it and no one bothers you.

Try that at a Sunday service.

I want to go there with polar bear and have margarittas! AMEN