GreaseSpot Cafe

Losing the Way

pawtucket

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that the same Kris Skedgell that used to be in Bloomington Indiana back in the 1970's??

Yes. She's an 8th Corps grad. Her blog is at http://losingtheway.blogspot.com/

Here is an excerpt from the upcoming interview with Kristen Skedgell

click here

I for one really appreciate Pawtucket interviewing her. She is a wonderful, sensitive person of integrity whose voice speaks for many.

Edited by penworks

This is very cool Paw. Thanks I'm looking forward to hearing it and reading the book.

dmiller....yes it is the same Kris Skedgell that was in Bloomington Indiana.

Kris was in Bloomington for one year in 1976-1977 as the branch coordinator. I was in the first PFAL class that year in October 1976. In the summer of 1977, she left to enter the eighth Way Corps. Dean and Laura Ellenwood (Dean was in Joyful Noise) arrived in Bloomington for the 1977-1978 a year before Charlie and Tracy Preston (who came to Bloomington when Dean and Laura returned to Joyful Noise).

A few thoughts on Kris.

I knew about the Way in Fort Wayne, Indiana as two of my close friends had taken the PFAL class. I left Fort Wayne to attend college at Indiana University in August 1976. One of my friends went WOW and the other came to Indiana University to go to school. My friend convinced me to attend a bible meeting (twig) at IU Memorial Union and the person teaching that September day was Kris Skedgell.

When the twig fellowship was finished and they were talking about the PFAL class, I had one question....If I take this class will I be able to teach the Bible.....like her! She was a wonderful teacher and hearing her teach that day was inspiring and I wanted the enthusiasm, excitement for God, Jesus Christ, and the Bible that she had.

Kris was only in Bloomington one year, and in addition to attending classes at Indiana University, she was a dynamic branch coordinator. The reason she was dynamic is because she loved people and REALLY cared about them. Also, she coordinated a woman's Way Home in Bloomington that year. Several PFAL classes ran that year and other classes including Christian Family and Sex, Renewed Mind, and The Way Tree.

The things I most remember about Kris was her love for God, her warm, pretty smile and what she taught me about God by her example. Although I have not seen or talked with Kris in over 25 years, I still remember that beautiful girl who inspired me to teach the Bible and learn more about it.

Thanks Paw and Kris. Gosh the final pieces of the puzzle.

The parts about grooming, about girls whom were previously sexually abused being sitting ducks really made me sit up and take notice.

Understanding why people were vulnerable. Being able to ubderstand that feeling of *something just isn`t right* but unable to put my finger on it.

Thankyou for taking the time to do this. I am looking forward to reading your book.

Edited by rascal

Wonderful interview! I've known Kristen since 1970 and am proud she's telling the truth about her experience. The interview is refreshingly frank - let's hope listeners really hear her message...it's clear as a bell. Thanks Paw and Kristen!

Am I missing something? She realy doesnt discuss her reasoning as how she arrived the way being an ocult..

Yeah she does... she says its a cult because of "mind control".

Of course I disagree... but I do think it's that viewpoint that feeds the VMP that helps to sell the cult books.

The mind is not a physical entity.

It's a collection of thoughts----- nothing more, nothing less.

With that said, it should be obvious to anyone who spent time in the organization how the term "mind control" applies to what many experienced in The Way.

We were all instructed to think "the same thing".(likemindedness)

That "same thing" was what was fed to us in well measured portions.

We were not to deviate from that diet,per session #7, which told us it was unacceptable to question something that must be bigger than our understanding.

The contents of our thoughts were dictated to us under the premise of representing what "The Word" said.

Really, it was what we were TOLD "The Word" said.

And so, by controlling what we were to think, "the TWI system of reason" came to control our thinking, ergo our minds.

Now, if a person(or persons) were to still buy into the admonition regarding avoidance of consideration, it would surely be quite difficult for that individual(s) to accept the concept of thought/mind control.

On a side note:

I had to fill out a questionnaire for a medical screening recently.

As silly as this may sound, the very first question was, "Can you read?"

If you answer "no", wouldn't that really indicate "yes"?

So, if a person's thoughts are still controlled and they are averse to consideration, the door is locked from both sides.

I was able to relate closely to what has been said thus far.

Yeah she does... she says its a cult because of "mind control".

Of course I disagree... but I do think it's that viewpoint that feeds the VMP that helps to sell the cult books.

Listening to the interview now. Thanks Paw and Kris.

Paridiseden --- thanks. I do remember she was there one year only, and I do remember Dean and Laura being there. I had a chance to show Dean some stuff on banjo, and he showed me some stuff on guitar. You and I probably know each other. Did you ever go to listen to Dean at the Runcible Spoon??

Oldies -- what is VMP???

Edited by dmiller

dmiller,

VMP = Victim Mentality Propaganda

The key for me to believe something is mind control, is if free will is taken away. I suppose we can claim we were brainwashed by just being there, but that's not enough for me. Who chained us to the seat? Who locked the door? Who held a gun to our head? Remember, this is the U.S. of A. with freedom of religion, and we had the freedom to walk out anytime.

And so, by controlling what we were to think, "the TWI system of reason" came to control our thinking, ergo our minds.

But we agreed to it. If we didn't, we could always leave. Ya can't seriously claim victimhood when there was always a way to escape from being "a victim."

Now, if a person(or persons) were to still buy into the admonition regarding avoidance of consideration, it would surely be quite difficult for that individual(s) to accept the concept of thought/mind control.

I don't recall claiming"victimhood" or using the word "victim".

Edited by waysider

Announcements