GreaseSpot Cafe

Chocolate Cake (made with mayo)

ChasUFarley

The original mayonaise cake was printed on the back of the Miracle Whip jar, durring WWII staples like eggs and sugar were hard to get ahold of by regular people due to rationing, whereas the mayonaise manufacturers had these ingredients, essentially eggs, oil and sugar were substituted by the mayo in this recipe.

Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake

This cake is rich and moist, you can substitute Miracle Whip salad dressing for the mayo, just cut back on the amount of sugar to 3/4 cup.

1 cup boiling water

1/2 cup cocoa, firmly packed

2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup mayonnaise

1-1/4 cups sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350°F, and grease and flour two 8-inch cake pans.

In a small bowl, pour the boiling water over the cocoa, and whisk until smooth. Set aside.

Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

In the large bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the mayonnaise and sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the vanilla and cocoa mixture, beating until incorporated.

With mixer at low speed, gradually add the flour mixture, beating just until batter is combined.

Pour batter into prepared pans, and bake 25 to 30 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Allow to cool completely before frosting.  This cake is very moist providing it's not overbaked, can be just dusted with powdered sugar, it is rich enough to omit the frosting.

Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Here's another chocolate cake an internet friend sent me. Another friend tried it when I sent it to her, and she said it was passable.

Ok, Sue Fry sent this to me. I hope it works. I think. Definitely could be dangerous to have a chocolate cake only 5 minutes away at all times, I agree! Elizabeth Ps: I don't think the chocolate chips should be optional, however, if you're going for it! After all...

5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE (at those "splurge" moments):

1 Coffee Mug

4 tablespoons flour(that's plain flour, not self-rising)

4 tablespoons sugar (or other)

2 tablespoons baking cocoa

1 egg (or substitute)

3 tablespoons milk

3 tablespoons oil (olive, etc....olive is actually very good in cakes)

3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)

Small splash of vanilla

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well . Add the egg and mix thoroughly.

Pour in the milk and oil and mix well.

Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla, and mix again.

Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts. The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed!

Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired. Can be shared if you want.