GreaseSpot Cafe

Name That Author

Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.

If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Let us be thankful for fools; but for them the rest of us could not succeed.

The human race consists of the dangerously insane and such as are not.

The holy passion of friendship is so sweet and so steady and loyal and enduring a nature that it will last through a whole lifetime, if not asked to lend money.

He has been a doctor for a year now and has had two patients-no three; I attended their funerals.

His money is twice tainted; 'taint yours and 'taint mine.

Man was made at the end of the week's work when God was tired.

Pretty funny stuff, I'll take a "shot in the dark" and say Will Rogers.

BTW: George how are you doing? Are you in the Houston area? I hope and pray everything is ok with you and yours.

Edited by wrdsandwrks

"I now reiterate these sentiments; and in doing so, I only press upon the public attention the most conclusive evidence of which the case is susceptible, that the property, peace and security of no section are to be in any wise endangered by the now incoming Administration. I add too, that all the protection which, consistently with the Constitution and the laws, can be given, will be cheerfully given to all the States when lawfully demanded, for whatever cause -- as cheerfully to one section as to another."

George

New author:

These are the researches of ..., which he publishes, in the hope of thereby preserving from decay the remembrance of what men have done, and of preventing the great and wonderful actions of the Greeks and the Barbarians from losing their due meed of glory; and withal to put on record what were their grounds of feuds. According to the Persians best informed in history, the Phoenicians began to quarrel. This people, who had formerly dwelt on the shores of the Erythraean Sea, having migrated to the Mediterranean and settled in the parts which they now inhabit, began at once, they say, to adventure on long voyages, freighting their vessels with the wares of Egypt and Assyria. They landed at many places on the coast, and among the rest at Argos, which was then preeminent above all the states included now under the common name of Hellas. Here they exposed their merchandise, and traded with the natives for five or six days; at the end of which time, when almost everything was sold, there came down to the beach a number of women, and among them the daughter of the king, who was, they say, agreeing in this with the Greeks, Io, the child of Inachus. The women were standing by the stern of the ship intent upon their purchases, when the Phoenicians, with a general shout, rushed upon them. The greater part made their escape, but some were seized and carried off. Io herself was among the captives. The Phoenicians put the women on board their vessel, and set sail for Egypt. Thus did Io pass into Egypt, according to the Persian story, which differs widely from the Phoenician: and thus commenced, according to their authors, the series of outrages.

"The true democracy, living and growing and inspiring, puts its faith in the people - faith that the people will not simply elect men who will represent their views ably and faithfully, but will also elect men who will exercise their conscientious judgment - faith that the people will not condemn those whose devotion to principle leads them to unpopular courses, but will reward courage, respect honor, and ultimately recognize right."

George

Train up a fig tree in the way it should go, and when you are old sit under the shade of it.

I do not know the American gentleman, god forgive me for putting two such words together.

No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.

Minds, like bodies, will often fall into a pimpled, ill-conditioned state from mere excess of comfort.

Subdue your appetites, my dears, and you've conquered human nature.

Nope, a little earlier than Ghandi.

Here's more:

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen six, result happiness.

Cows are my passion. What I have ever sighed for has been to retreat to a Swiss farm, and live entirely surrounded by cows - and china.

Whatever I have tried to do in life, I have tried with all my heart to do it well; whatever I have devoted myself to, I have devoted myself completely; in great aims and in small I have always thoroughly been in earnest.

I only ask to be free. The butterflies are free.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

Edited by now I see

Why, you may take the most gallant sailor, the most intrepid airman or the most audacious soldier, put them at a table together- what do you get? The sum of all fears.

Colleges typically did not tell you that ninety percent of your education came after you hung the parchment on the wall. People might ask for a rebate.

George

Probably harder than anything he had ever done—their bridges were burned. They had cast themselves away from everything they had known, trusting that what they found would be better.

Facing a gun in a missile room was a small matter compared with walking away from one's whole life. It was strange how easily Americans put on their freedoms.

Why, you may take the most gallant sailor, the most intrepid airman or the most audacious soldier, put them at a table together- what do you get? The sum of all fears.

Colleges typically did not tell you that ninety percent of your education came after you hung the parchment on the wall. People might ask for a rebate.

George

Hey I just discovered this thread. Can anybody play? Can somebody give me a potted version of the rules? If I win, maybe I could completely baffle you with some Brit quotes.