GreaseSpot Cafe

Name That Author

Fine. I'm back.

"His left leg was cut off close by the hip, and under the left shoulder he carried a crutch, which he managed with wonderful dexterity, hopping about upon it like a bird. He was very tall and strong, with a face as big as a ham-plain and pale, but intelligent and smiling."

"From trunk to trunk the creature flitted like a deer, running manlike on two legs, but unlike any man that I had ever seen, stooping almost double as it ran."

George

"And now, shipmates, this black spot? 'Tain't much good now, is it? Dick's crossed his luck and spoiled his Bible, and that's about all"

"Fetch the rum, Darby!"

"His left leg was cut off close by the hip, and under the left shoulder he carried a crutch, which he managed with wonderful dexterity, hopping about upon it like a bird. He was very tall and strong, with a face as big as a ham-plain and pale, but intelligent and smiling."

"From trunk to trunk the creature flitted like a deer, running manlike on two legs, but unlike any man that I had ever seen, stooping almost double as it ran."

George

Same author, different work:

All at once, I saw two figures: one a little man who was stumping along

eastward at a good walk, and the other a girl of maybe eight or

ten who was running as hard as she was able down a cross street.

Well, sir, the two ran into one another naturally enough at the

corner; and then came the horrible part of the thing; for the man

trampled calmly over the child's body and left her screaming on

the ground. It sounds nothing to hear, but it was hellish to see.

It wasn't like a man; it was like some damned Juggernaut. I gave

a few halloa, took to my heels, collared my gentleman, and brought

him back to where there was already quite a group about the

screaming child. He was perfectly cool and made no resistance,

but gave me one look, so ugly that it brought out the sweat on me

like running. The people who had turned out were the girl's own

family; and pretty soon, the doctor, for whom she had been sent

put in his appearance. Well, the child was not much the worse,

more frightened, according to the Sawbones; and there you might

have supposed would be an end to it. But there was one curious

circumstance. I had taken a loathing to my gentleman at first

sight.

George

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...
On 12/15/2008 at 1:52 PM, GeorgeStGeorge said:

"And now, shipmates, this black spot? 'Tain't much good now, is it? Dick's crossed his luck and spoiled his Bible, and that's about all"

"Fetch the rum, Darby!"

George

Moby Dick by Melville?

No, that was actually "Treasure Island," by Robert Louis Stephenson.

If you'd like to try, feel free to give a quote from a book, so we can guess the author.  I've gotta tell you, though, the players here (myself, included) are better with pop culture than with literature.

George

• Upvote 1

The trick is to pick something that gives away enough so that those with a passing familiarity might be able to say. hey, that sounds like such and such character from such and such movie based on that famous book by Kevin Bacon!

And to do that without being TOO obvious (a reference to Sherlock Holmes would be too obvious, for example). But whatever: thread's been dormant nine years. Make it easy if you want.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/29/2008 at 11:35 AM, bfh said:

Nope, not Hawthorne.

The following is quoted from one scene; I broke it up in order to improve readability:

Lucas Cross slapped his stepdaughter a stunning blow on the side of the head.

Selena staggered halfway across the room and fell heavily to the floor...Selena got up from the floor,

and the coffeepot which she had not dropped when she fell now flew across the room in a direct line with Lucas' head.

The coffeepot sailed past Lucas' head and crashed against the wall behind him.

"You little bitch," he shouted. "You goddamn little bitch. I'll teach you!"

He held Selena with one hand and slapped her face. Back and forth, back and forth went his big hand.

Selena fought with all her strength. She kick and tried to get close enough to Lucas to sink her teeth into him.

"You bastard!" she yelled.

"Reglar dirty-mouthed little bitch," said Lucas. "Just like your old lady. I'll teach you, same's I taught her!

Don't do no good to be decent to you. If it wasn't for me you'da starved to death, just like your old lady.

I been decent to you just as if you was my own. Kept a roof over your head and food in your belly."

Back and forth, back and forth went his enormous hand, striking another blow with every word he spoke.

At last Selena managed to tear herself away from him. She drew back her fist and slammed it into Lucas'

mouth as hard as she could, and the man yelped with rage..He grabbed at Selena and when she wrenched away from his grasp,

he was left holding the entire front of the girl's blouse. Selena backed away from Lucas, her breasts naked

and heaving in the light of the room's unshaded electric bulb, her shoulders still covered ridiculously by the sleeves of the faded cotton blouse...

Lucas dropped his hands and stared at Selena. Slowly, he began to walk toward here while she, just as slowly, began to move backward...

"Yep," said Lucas, "you're gettin' to be quite a gal, honey."

Slowly, he raised his two grimy hands, and his forehead moved when he smiled his grotesque smile.

Selena's scream ripped the stillness with a sound like tearing fabric, and from behind Allison there came another scream.

It was Joey, running frantically toward the door of the shack. He almost fell through the door, and still he screamed.

"Don't you dare put your hands on Selena! I'll kill you if you put your hands on Selena."

The little boy stood in front of his sister, and like a horse swishing his tail, Lucas Cross swept him away.

The child lay still on the floor of the shack, and Lucas said, "Yep. Gettin' to be quite a gal, ain't you honey."

Clue: This book was published in the 50's.

Payton Place.

GVC,

Instead of going back through all of the previous posts, how about YOU giving one?  Pick an author you think will be relatively familiar, and quote a passage or two from one of his/her books.  In the other threads (Name that Flick, etc.) we often start with less obvious clues and add easier ones until the puzzle is solved.  In this case, I would start with something relatively easy.  It doesn't have to be VERY easy; as Raf posted, a quote that names Sherlock Holmes (or Watson, for that matter) would pretty much give it up as Arthur Conan Doyle.  On the other hand, something from a famous Holmes story (e.g., "The Seven Percent Solution") could work.

Care to give it a try?

George

46 minutes ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

GVC,

Instead of going back through all of the previous posts, how about YOU giving one?  Pick an author you think will be relatively familiar, and quote a passage or two from one of his/her books.  In the other threads (Name that Flick, etc.) we often start with less obvious clues and add easier ones until the puzzle is solved.  In this case, I would start with something relatively easy.  It doesn't have to be VERY easy; as Raf posted, a quote that names Sherlock Holmes (or Watson, for that matter) would pretty much give it up as Arthur Conan Doyle.  On the other hand, something from a famous Holmes story (e.g., "The Seven Percent Solution") could work.

Care to give it a try?

George

Sure!  

On 27/7/2017 at 1:56 PM, Grace Valerie Claire said:

This is open for anyone. Does anyone know what play Lincoln was watching when he was killed in 1865?  

I'm not familiar with which book this is from, so I certainly have no idea who the author was.