GreaseSpot Cafe

Name That Author

"What you do in this world is a matter of no consequence," returned my companion, bitterly. "The question is, what can you make people believe that you have done."

"I'm not going to tell you much more of the case. You know a conjuror gets no credit when once he has explained his trick, and if I show you too much of my method of working, you will come to the conclusion that I am a very ordinary individual after all."

"From a drop of water," said the writer, "a logician could infer the possibility of an Atlantic or a Niagara without having seen or heard of one or the other. So all life is a great chain, the nature of which is known whenever we are shown a single link of it."

George

"Fantasy remains a human right: we make in our measure and in our derivative mode, because we are made: and not only made, but made in the image and likeness of a Maker."

"My advice to all who have the time or inclination to concern themselves with the international language movement would be: 'Back Esperanto loyally.'"

"Fantasy remains a human right: we make in our measure and in our derivative mode, because we are made: and not only made, but made in the image and likeness of a Maker."

"My advice to all who have the time or inclination to concern themselves with the international language movement would be: 'Back Esperanto loyally.'"

"'I liked white better,' I said.

"'White!' he sneered. 'It serves as a beginning. White cloth may be dyed. The white page can be overwritten; and the white light can be broken.'

"'In which case it is no longer white,' said I. 'And he that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom.'"

Edited by WordWolf

"'White!' he sneered. 'It serves as a beginning. White cloth may be dyed. The white page can be overwritten; and the white light can be broken.'

"'In which case it is no longer white,' said I. 'And he that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom.'"

"I am the lucky number."

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

“… ‘Every worm has his weak spot’, as my father used to say, though I am sure it was not from personal experience.”

"The praise of the praiseworthy is above all rewards."

"One felt as if there was an enormous well behind them, filled up with ages of memory and long, slow, steady thinking; but their surface was sparkling with the present: like sun shimmering on the outer leaves of a vast tree, or the ripples of a very deep lake."

"I am the lucky number."

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

“… ‘Every worm has his weak spot’, as my father used to say, though I am sure it was not from personal experience.”

"One felt as if there was an enormous well behind them, filled up with ages of memory and long, slow, steady thinking; but their surface was sparkling with the present: like sun shimmering on the outer leaves of a vast tree, or the ripples of a very deep lake."

"I have waited on faltering feet long enough. Since they falter no longer, it seems, may I not now spend my life as I will?"

"Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend. It can be so sometimes."

"Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!"

"Tall as the sea-kings of old, he stood above all that were near: ancient of days he seemed and yet in the flower of manhood; and wisdom sat upon his brow, and strength and healing were in his hands, and a light was about him."

"Indeed you did your best...I hope that it may be long before you find yourself in such a tight corner again between two such terrible old men."

He's a fantasy writer, famous for "the Hobbit" and "Lord of the Rings."

Major criticisms of him have centered around his obsession with languages, and

say his whole purpose for writng LotR was to give him an outlet for writing them.

(Consider his invented language of Quenya for the elves.)

GREAT exchange from "Fellowship of the Ring." Gandalf the Grey recounts what happened when

he went to consult with Saruman the White, and found out Saruman had turned, and now

claimed he was "Saruman of Many Colors."

"I am the lucky number."

A notable line from "the Hobbit." Bilbo Baggins was added to a company of 12 dwarves plus one Gandalf,

because they felt it was an ill omen to travel as a group of 13- so they added a 14th member.

Bilbo later says this when Smaug asks him who he is- NOW remembering not to just give away

his name.

Gandalf, in "the Hobbit", about hobbits in general.

Bilbo, in "the Hobbit", considering Smaug.

Faramir to Frodo, on "the Two Towers."

"The Two Towers", the description of Treebeard, upon looking into his eyes.

"I have waited on faltering feet long enough. Since they falter no longer, it seems, may I not now spend my life as I will?"

Eowyn, in "Return of the King".

"Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend. It can be so sometimes."

Gandalf in "the Two Towers", after Grima tries to injure Gandalf by throwing a Palantir at him from Orthanc.

"Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!"

The Witch-King of Angmar, the Captain of the Nazgul (Ringwraiths), boasting of his supposed

invincibility....

"Tall as the sea-kings of old, he stood above all that were near: ancient of days he seemed and yet in the flower of manhood; and wisdom sat upon his brow, and strength and healing were in his hands, and a light was about him."

Aragorn, in "Return of the King", now dressed the part.

"The hands of the king are the hands of a healer", which made the "healing" reference specific to him.

"Indeed you did your best...I hope that it may be long before you find yourself in such a tight corner again between two such terrible old men."

Gandalf to Pippin in "Return of the King", after they met with Denethor, the Steward of

Gondor, in Minas Tirith.

Edited by WordWolf