GreaseSpot Cafe

Name That Author

I believe the whole quote is translated

"All Gaul is divided into three parts, in one of which dwell the Belgians, in another the Aquitani, and in the third those whose language is of the Celts, who are called Gauls by us."

Admittedly, my Latin is a little rusty. I do a lot more with Greek these days.

George

I knew this wasn't quite right. I couldn't figure out how nostra fit in. It hit me last night while I was lying in bed. (Scary, huh?) It modifies lingua and is in the ablative case, not nominative:

"All Gaul is divided into three parts, in one of which dwell the Belgians, in another the Aquitani, and in the third those who are called Celts in their own tongue, but called Gauls in ours."

Back to our regularly scheduled program.

George

GSG:

Ah, had a little problem with those pesky declensions? I remember that, also with conjugations,

but in a way that's what makes translating Latin fun.

It's like solving a puzzle, and I was always so happy when I got it right!

Thanks for the correction, and I don't think it's scary - the sub-conscious works in strange and mysterious ways.

Speaking of our regularly scheduled program:

I think it may be time to move on -

Robert Falcon Scott wrote the quoted matter in a letter entitled "Message to the Public"

which was found on his dead body, along with a few personal letters.

The letter was printed in Scott's Last Expedition.

The explorer who beat Scott to the South Pole by a month was Roald Amundsen from Norway.

So, I would like to pass this on to Wrds...if Wrds wants to take the next turn. But, no pressure!

It seems like it would be something from the 17 or 1800's.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark here...

Mark Twain - cuz' it sounds like something he would say.

Of course, he was usually calling politicians stupid, not gentleman and lady.

It seems like it would be something from the 17 or 1800's.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark here...

Mark Twain - cuz' it sounds like something he would say.

Of course, he was usually calling politicians stupid, not gentleman and lady.

No, good try. It's a bit earlier than Mark Twain, someone also known for their wit.

Here's another one from the same author, (actually the same book too):

"A woman, especially, if she have the misfortune of knowing anything, should conceal it as well as she can."
Edited by wrdsandwrks

Is this GK Chesterton?

No, it's not GK.

Here's another one I like:

"It will, I believe, be everywhere found, that as the clergy are, or are not what they ought to be, so are the rest of the nation."

And probably the most famous of this author's quotes:

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife."

"A woman, especially, if she have the misfortune of knowing anything, should conceal it as well as she can."

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife."

Ah, just the quotes I needed.

I believe this is Jane Austen.

Ah, just the quotes I needed.

I believe this is Jane Austen.

Ding, Ding, Ding, We have a winner! Jane Austen it is!

Mark Twain and G.K. Chesterton both had memorable things to say about her:

She wasn't exactly one of Mark Twain's favorites. He said:

"Jane Austen? Why I go so far as to say that any library is a good library that does not contain a volume by Jane Austen. Even if it contains no other book."
and:
"I haven't any right to criticise books, and I don't do it except when I hate them. I often want to criticise Jane Austen, but her books madden me so that I can't conceal my frenzy from the reader; and therefore I have to stop every time I begin. Everytime I read 'Pride and Prejudice' I want to dig her up and beat her over the skull with her own shin-bone."

G.K. Chesterton was a bit kinder to her:

"It is certain that she by her own artistic talent made interesting what thousands of superficially similar people would have made dull."

Good tries everyone!

BTW, I wrote recently about this quote "A woman, especially, if she have the misfortune of knowing anything, should conceal it as well as she can." on my blog recently. You Latin grammar fans might enjoy it: http://allmyways.blogspot.com/2008/02/dont...ane-austen.html. It was even mentioned on the Jane Austen blog here: http://www.austenblog.com/2008/03/03/how-d...he-subjunctive/

Now you know who my favorite author is:

Take it away b.

"I haven't any right to criticise books, and I don't do it except when I hate them. I often want to criticise Jane Austen, but her books madden me so that I can't conceal my frenzy from the reader; and therefore I have to stop every time I begin. Everytime I read 'Pride and Prejudice' I want to dig her up and beat her over the skull with her own shin-bone."

seems like a back-handed compliment to me!

While I'm not particularly fond of Jane Austen (or the Bronte sisters, for the matter),

I can't go as far as Mark Twain, who is quite brutal in his assessment of her work.

Wrds, I liked the short piece on your blog. Do I understand correctly that your example is from a textbook?

If so, that is a disgrace. The editors should have caught that mistake,

even if the author was not well-versed in 18th century English grammar.

But I will short-circuit my rant and continue on with the game.

Here's the next quote:

All three had brilliant white teeth that shone like pearls against the ruby of their voluptuous lips.

There was something about them that made me uneasy, some longing and at the same time some deadly fear.

I felt in my heart a wicked, burning desire that they would kiss me with those red lips.

seems like a back-handed compliment to me!

Good point; some people do think he secretly admired her. Here's an example if you're interested: "A Barkeeper Entering the Kingdom of Heaven": Did Mark Twain Really Hate Jane Austen? by

Emily Auerbach at : http://www.vqronline.org/articles/1999/win...eeper-entering/

Wild guess: Anne Rice? (Sounds like a vampire book!)

George

No, not Anne Rice.

Here's another clue:

How shall I describe what we saw? On the bed lay two women, Lucy and her mother.

The latter lay farthest in, and she was covered with a white sheet, the edge of which

had been blown back by the drought through the broken window, showing the drawn,

white, face, with a look of terror fixed upon it. By her side lay Lucy, with face white and

still more drawn. The flowers which had been round her neck we found upon her mother's

bosom, and her throat was bare, showing the two little wounds which we had noticed

before, but looking horribly white and mangled. Without a word the Professor bent over the bed,

his head almost touching poor Lucy's breast. Then he gave a quick turn of his head, as of one

who listens, and leaping to his feet, he cried out to me, "It is not yet too late! Quick! Quick! Bring the brandy!"

No, not Anne Rice.

Here's another clue:

How shall I describe what we saw? On the bed lay two women, Lucy and her mother.

The latter lay farthest in, and she was covered with a white sheet, the edge of which

had been blown back by the drought through the broken window, showing the drawn,

white, face, with a look of terror fixed upon it. By her side lay Lucy, with face white and

still more drawn. The flowers which had been round her neck we found upon her mother's

bosom, and her throat was bare, showing the two little wounds which we had noticed

before, but looking horribly white and mangled. Without a word the Professor bent over the bed,

his head almost touching poor Lucy's breast. Then he gave a quick turn of his head, as of one

who listens, and leaping to his feet, he cried out to me, "It is not yet too late! Quick! Quick! Bring the brandy!"

Got to be a vampire novel, maybe the original, Dracula by Bram Stoker?

Here it is:

Something tonic and lusty and cheerily cold, like a sea breeze, was coming over them. There was no fear anywhere: the blood inside them flowed as if to a marching-song. They felt themselves taking their places in the ordered rhythm of the universe, side by side with punctual seasons and patterned atoms and the obeying Seraphim. Under the immense weight of ther obedience their wills stood up straight and untiring like caryatides. Eased of all fickleness and all protestings they stood: gay, light, nimble, and alert. They had outlived all anxieties: care was a word without meaning.
Edited by wrdsandwrks

Here's another quote:

"I did not yet know (and I was long in learning) the name of the new quality, the bright shadow, that rested on the travels of Anodos. I do now. It was holiness. For the first time the song of the sirens sounded like the voice of my mother or my nurse...It was as though the voices which had called to me from the world s end were now speaking at my side...never had the wind of Joy blowing through any story been less separable from the story itself...That night my imagination was, in a certain sense, baptized; the rest of me, not unnaturally, took longer. I had not the faintest notion what I had let myself in for by buying Phantastes."