GreaseSpot Cafe

Planet X, Nibiru, and all that stuff...

Nato

I was sideswiped by this one recently. Someone I knew came to me really convinced by some story someone told him and some youtube videos. Now I have to research it just so I can show him how wrong it is. Damn it. I'd so much rather be watching a show about real science. But since this person is practically convinced that the world is going to end either this year or in 2012 (he wasn't quite clear on that one), now I kind of have to. Oh well.

This stuff has been around "forever and a day".

You could spend the rest of your life just trying to sort through all the information on the internet that pertains to this.

Planet X is just another way of saying "the unknown planet".

Neptune was once considered Planet X, so was Pluto.

Now, the Nibiru aspect is a whole other ball of wax.

It's been around in one variation or another as long as I recall.

One variation of it was quite popular in the 1950's but I don't recall the details.

It's very likely there is a "Planet X".

We are forever making new discoveries.

But is the Legend of Nibiru real?

I don't know.

Maybe I'll ask Santa Clause if he has any insider info before he scurries back up the chimney next Christmas.

My husband's cousin/stepbrother's wife, who is a witch, was all excited about the Hale-Bopp comet when it came around, because there was this giant spaceship, three times the size of earth, that could be seen weaving in and out of the comet's tail. When it arrived, it would be filled with aliens who would collect all their relatives, who have living among us unbeknownst, and take them home somewhere. She was all glassy-eyed and excited about this.

I just thought she'd had too much LDS back in the sixties. But didn't the Heaven's Gate cult do themselves in as a result of a similar belief?

WG

My husband's cousin/stepbrother's wife, who is a witch, was all excited about the Hale-Bopp comet when it came around, because there was this giant spaceship, three times the size of earth, that could be seen weaving in and out of the comet's tail. When it arrived, it would be filled with aliens who would collect all their relatives, who have living among us unbeknownst, and take them home somewhere. She was all glassy-eyed and excited about this.

I just thought she'd had too much LDS back in the sixties. But didn't the Heaven's Gate cult do themselves in as a result of a similar belief?

WG

A salesman was interviewed sometime after the Heaven's Gate cult all committed mass suicide.

He said they had bought a high-power telescope from his store, and then brought it back for a refund.

They complained it wasn't powerful enough to show the spaceship following the comment.

He just processed the refund and let it go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven's_Gate_(cult)

"Heaven's Gate was the name of an American religious group led by Marshall Applewhite and Bonnie Nettles. The group's end coincided with the appearance of Comet Hale-Bopp in 1997. Applewhite convinced thirty-eight followers to commit suicide so that their souls could take a ride on a spaceship that they believed was hiding behind the comet."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFO_religion

"Members reportedly believed themselves to be aliens, awaiting a spaceship that would arrive with Comet Hale-Bopp. The suicide was undertaken in the apparent belief that their souls would be transported onto the spaceship, which they thought was hiding behind the comet. They underwent elaborate preparations for their trip, including purchasing and then actually wearing matching shoes; for a time, group members lived in a darkened house where they would simulate the experience they expected to have during their long journey in outer space.

Heaven's Gate surfaced again in 2006 with another group of converts entitled "Heaven's Gate: The New Generation".

Im not exactly sure what you are getting at with Planet X, Nibiru and "all that stuff"

I have run into a number of people over the years who believe that their origin is in the Pleides star cluster if that is what you are getting at---They generally call them selves "Starseeds" or something like that.

As far as the 2012 date, that has its origins in the Mayan calendar which ends on December 21, 2012---so a lot of the more ...um...esoteric... groups pick up on that date as the end of the world

Edited by mstar1

The Age of Aquarius/Nibiru/2012...some believe it brings a new consciousness or a new and higher spiritual evolution of the human race, so the world really won't end, just the world as we know it, and that the 'transition' has been working through humankinjd for a long time.

Others believe it is the time when the tide of human history will begin to turn toward peace and cooperation, somewhat like the nonChristian version of the hope(or a nontraditional version of the hope). The Oprah bookclub A New Earth is somewhat along those lines.

Still others believe it will be a time of great danger because the Nephilim giants will again attack Earth from their home on Nibiru.

One of the more influential sources for this "mythology" comes form an author named Zechariah Sitkin...

The body of the work, some six or 7 volumes is referred to as the "Earth Chronicles" and had had a lasting effect on some of the more popular media of the day, the most noteable of which is the entire "Stargate" series...

The premise is kinda interesting though: What if all the ancient stories about "gods" were based on literal and historical events? (in fact one of his books attempts to explain the "Wars of Gods and Men" and offers an interesting account of the cause of the Biblical flood...)

Egil

I read the first book of the Earth Chronicles series, and although it seems impressive, he made a lot of stuff up. A lot of the "facts" he quotes are either pure lies or are pulled from another source that is out there and not taken seriously by scientists, historians, or archaeologists.

If you want a source to begin debunking that dogma, check out this site. It probably goes into more detail than you would like.

As far as the 2012 thing goes, a lot of cultures supposedly picked that year as the end of time, a cataclysm, or some huge event. That's weird, but who knows whether there is some reality or not. The ancient people had a great understanding of the stars, and perhaps they knew some indication of a supernova exploding that would wipe out life on Earth in 2012. Perhaps they studied a comet that rarely comes towards the inner solar system, and know that it will hit the earth in 2012. Or, more likely, perhaps it's just a coincidence with a lot of people trying to shoehorn some reason into disjointed ancient legends that are no more real than the tooth fairy. Who knows?

I wasn't very clear in my first post. I wasn't referring to the term "planet x" in the way that some people use it to refer to hypothetical planets not yet discovered. I meant in the way that the current conspiracy freaks use it, to refer to some planet that is in an orbit that comes through our solar system every 3600 years and changes the climate.

I've since done some research and discovered that the current thing I heard described to me as the "Return of Planet X" is really just a slightly renamed version of the Zitchins Nibiru "theory". In fact, there was author in the 90s that said Nibiru was coming in 2003. So it's the same old move the goalpost trick that they all have.

When I was a programmer at a local community radio station, I met a guy whose dad, Eric Uml@nd wrote a book called Mystery of the Ancients. It was based on the "premise" that the Mayans were actually space aliens. He actually wrote the book as a spoof of the "Ancient Astronauts" books that were coming out in the 70's. My radio buddy pointed out that supposed artifacts were in reality drawings of his toys that his dad had sketched. The book was a complete goof, but the author was, as of about ten years ago, getting inquiries from nuts around the world.