GreaseSpot Cafe

Pope Ben and Pope Vic

GrouchoMarxJr

We seem to have an abundance of Holymen hanging out in our hood of late.

The Dalai Lama, Desmond Tutu, and now His Holiness.

Ever wonder why these guys seem so hellbent on wearing goofy outfits? Seems like a sorta prerequisite for true holiness status.

That and making occasional sage remarks. And if they can't come up with something sage, well, inscrutable or obtuse will always do in a pinch. After all, they've got a whole army of folks who are waiting in the wings to make anything they say or do into something nigh unto walking on water.

Ya gotta wonder though, just what is it these guys actually DO that merits all perks, the entourage of servile lackies, and lavish lifestyle?

Seems like a pretty cush job to me...

The Pope, The President, The Prime Minister, The Premiere.....they all shop at the same store of vapid moralism designed to say nothing and keep the broken down power machinery limping along for a bit longer.

There will be no change from the impotent, unimaginative wax figures that represent mankind's best until a real Head of State comes charging in on a white horse (figuratively...or not)

Until then we will hear the despairing watered down crap we hear from anyone who speaks, or aspires to speak (and doesnt' election season concentrate the tripe?) ex cathedra from a throne floating on the blood and tears of a race hoping against hope that maybe this time they'll get it right.

I suppose as long as there is civilization, there will be the "special ones" who represent God to the rest of us schmucks...

George...what they do is provide an emotional security blanket to all the miserable souls who are terrified at the prospect of the end of their own existance...slip em a few bucks and who knows?...maybe they sneak into heaven some way. Making money on people's fears and superstitions has never gone out of style...it only takes different forms.

but...going back to my original thought...I still think that Pope Ben could be Vic's younger brother...aren't they both German?

...of course, the Dali Lama looks a lot like a guy I went to school with...

Groucho,

No one's really answered your question. YES! Every dang time I see a picture of Benedict, it reminds me of the Vicster. Poor pope.. he seems to be a decent fellow and can't help that he resembles a known charlatan.

sudo

well, i think the pope looks like yoda...

everytime i see the pope, he reminds me of that strange little yoda creature from star wars...

btw, the pope is NOT a "decent fellow"....

he signed the "criminale solicitacciones" which is a vatican directive that instructs the RC hierarchy to protect and shield pedophile priests and nuns, even threatening excommunication of the victims if they divulged the identities of the perpetrators... this pope has put his signature to a document that protects criminal pedophiles (at the expense of the children)... instead, the RC church transferred pedophile priests to other parishes, allowing further horrendous acts to be committed against children...

in the U.S., 177 out of 179 dioceses and archdioceses have been found guilty and liable in court (and were ordered to pay major damages)... litigation is still pending in the other 2 dioceses... but i doubt that they will escape unscathed...

as you can see, this is not some minor problem... pedophilia is widespread in the RC Church, of which the pope is the head... and the pope has done nothing to stop it, but rather prefers to protect the pedophiles...

so, i don't think he is such a decent fellow...

not only that... but he claims to represent God on earth, and speak for God (in the place of God)

hmmm... i think that's the definition of "anti-christ"... and there are many "anti-christs" on earth...

Edited by jen-o

He needs a special huge chair? Handmade? They don't have chairs in the cities he's visiting?

Does the fancy model come complete with string for correctly arranging the adjacent rows of chairs and kneelers mentioned in the article?

Back on topic - I think he's a bit skinnier than VPW. And he has two working eyes.

He needs a special huge chair? Handmade? They don't have chairs in the cities he's visiting?

Does the fancy model come complete with string for correctly arranging the adjacent rows of chairs and kneelers mentioned in the article?

Im not sure of the special catholic doctrine regarding chair alignment, Im sure there is some (Pontifical Chair Protocal Expert or some such thing right on it And no they probably dont have chairs like that just floating around, Its supposed to be "The Chair Of Peter"(excathedra),they cant just plop him ony old folding chair they have around--well they could--but they keep up the pomp....

I just liked THAT STORY because I make church furnishings and the craftsmanship of those two guys seemed like a fun thing to do..Ive sat in some of those Bishops chairs (not the Popes obviously) they are a little uncomfortable (definitely not for watching TV,) Its like being on a throne...awesome if you have bad back..usually with all sorts of ornate goodies ans s**t handcarved all over 'em

If I had made it, I would have had our own excathedra write whatever she wanted, her own personal message to Ben on the underside of the real "cathedra".thus she could actually "speak excathedra" ...maybe next time.....anyways Im ramblin

Back on topic - I think he's a bit skinnier than VPW. And he has two working eyes.

Yea but I did note the similarities -especiallly when he was talking with his glasses on..He was very similar

When he first landed and I heard them announce the plane as "Shepherd One"

it got a little flashbacky for a second

Edited by mstar1

Groucho,

No one's really answered your question. YES! Every dang time I see a picture of Benedict, it reminds me of the Vicster. Poor pope.. he seems to be a decent fellow and can't help that he resembles a known charlatan.

sudo

Actually, I think he's a composite of Vic and Andy Griffith...I see a little "Matlock" in the popes hair...