GreaseSpot Cafe

What Did Walter Say?

WhiteDove

:thinking: Why doesn't someone ask W^lter what he was thinking when he wrote it? I would imagine someone on this board knows and can get in contact with him.

Perhaps he could even post his answer himself. If he wants to.

I could do that ,but I doubt that he would care to post. Besides I'm sure there are several people who would be happy to tell him what he meant despite what he said. Clearly John understands what he said better than he does. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by WhiteDove

You say this-

and then this-

I don't think you think much.

Just a fight is your agenda.

Clearly, I understand this.

If people would read what is written , rather than trying to squeeze some hidden meaning into things that is not there. There would be no fight now would there?

what I'd like to know what Walter says though..

what do you think about your way experience..

It's obvious you had a few brains.. you could have learned koine greek anywhere in the world..

do you now think there would have been at least a little benefit to going to a seminary somewhere, and gotten the whole package?

with passing of the poop and "revelations" of der supposed manogawd's behavior, are there any regrets?

or were you in shock, just couldn't come to grips.. like a lot of other people at the time?

what did you ever do with your degree in math?

:)

"Literal according to usage".

Now break this down.

It's either "literal" or "according to usage"

"Literal" means "actually" so frequently doesn't make sense because of the idiom of the original language, or the idiom of the language into which it's translated.

"According to usage" must mean according to local idiom.

So you could have either a literal translation or a translation according to usage but not sure that you can have both.

You make a lot of sense here Twinky ...

And it makes me wonder, can there even be a "literal translation". Translated words are often not quite the same in meaning as the language translated from. And by the time the words get put in a sentence, just the structure of the language can add or subtract nuance.

So "literal translation" is not really the "actual", it is changed and interpreted. So you either have the literal (actual) or you have the translation. A normal translation is always according to usage, I would think. At least, isn't that the idea of "translating"?

I would suppose the term "literal translation" would indicate that the words were translated more directly, which may not make sense going from Greek to English. And idioms would not be revised to an approximate English version.

It seems the idea of the expanded LTATU was to be able to translate more of the Greek or Aramaic emphasis that was otherwise lost due to brevity or differences in language. It was an attempt to correct for the inadequacies of the more direct translation ... as I see it.

Whether it was done correctly and really added or subtracted ... I'll leave that answer to the scholars. :)

As for WJC, it is a litte disappointing he seemed to go along with the vic or lcm, especially in his apparent willingness to bury the adultery study (did it really need research?). But it seems he put out some book for sale, so I guess he is staying busy. With the apparent psycho turmoil that was swirling around bizarro HQ world then, I suppose most residents were rather out of sorts ... to say the least.

rhino: "Whether it was done correctly and really added or subtracted ... I'll leave that answer to the scholars."

penworks: Agree. That's where biblical studies belong - with scholars who are trained and educated in that field of literature.

For people like me who are not, I then ask what those scholars' motives for doing it are, what their methods are, what their expectations are, and then I ask many other questions about the value of biblical research in modern times (and the money involved, the bible publishing industry, etc. but that's another story). But all this is just a hobby of mine...

peace,

penworks

Edited by penworks

As for WJC, it is a litte disappointing he seemed to go along with the vic or lcm, especially in his apparent willingness to bury the adultery study (did it really need research?)
I'd like to know how he feels about that issue today..
With the apparent psycho turmoil that was swirling around bizarro HQ world then, I suppose most residents were rather out of sorts ... to say the least.

I'd give him that much benefit of the doubt. If I understand it correctly, some people were practically to the point of jumping off bridges, in despair over losing "da word as it hasn't (supposedly) been known since the first century"..

I think others were just far too invested in that nonsense. Where else is a gun-toting goon turned bus driver and keeper of da mog's secrets gonna find respect, adulation or even honest employment to begin with..

If people would read what is written , rather than trying to squeeze some hidden meaning into things that is not there. There would be no fight now would there?

Need i say more?

You are looking in a mirror .

You know why birds run into windows?

Cause they see the same bird mocking them and challenging them.

Which is there own reflection.