GreaseSpot Cafe

Removing pet urine from carpet

bowtwi

I hear that something called "enzymes" will remove pet urine and feces from carpet better than vinegar and water will. I see that Petsmart has it for sale for $17.99 a gallon and Walmart has some for $6.88/gal.

I don't understand exactly what enzymes are or how to tell if there's enough difference between the 2 above solutions.

$17.99 Ingredients: water, nature's enzymes, isopropyl, alcohol, natural citrus scent.

Features and Specifics: Nature's Miracle consists of billions of natural enzymes that turn organic stains and odor causing materials into a liquid that you simply wipe away. Eliminates stains and odors from pet accidents permanently--even urine odors other products fail to remove--with no perfume cover-up. For use on carpets, floors, furniture, clothing, cages, litter boxes, bird cages, and all pet living and sleeping areas. Restores color and luster to floors, carpets, and upholstery.

$6.88 Doesn't list the ingredients, but says the following under "Features and Specifics":

Get rid of the stink and stain in one fell swoop with this big refill bottle of Complete Stain and Odor Remover. Formulated with Bio-Bac technology that contains natural enzyme cleaners, stains and odors are instantly broken down and neutralized. Includes Pet-Block protection, which deters pets from re-soiling treated areas. Smart. VERY smart.

The more of these items I look at online the more confused I get. Anyone have any experience with this subject and care to tell about it?

Edited by bowtwi

Bow,

Baking soda neutralizes the smell of pet stains (and kid throw up as well). The problem with it is, it can remove the color from carpet if you're not careful. My advice is to experiment a little, mix some baking soda and water, more baking soda than water, and test the color thing in your closet and somewhere where it won't matter.

Need anymore details, call me dearest. :B)

the price difference between Petsmart and Walmart says more about the pricing structures of the two stores than it does about the quality of the item. Petsmart is hardly a cheap place to buy, from my experience. Although I would never buy from Walmart, so I would look around for somewhere else.

Sorry, I do not have experience YET with the topic, but I expect it is not far off for me. My dog on lasix (furosemide) will likely have those problems soon enough when he just decides it ain't worth the effort to get up and go out his pet door. I will live with that, and clean it up until it just is not the best thing for HIM to make him go through that embarrassment.

~HAP

Try removing soil with a mixture of enzymatic washing powder (like Ariel) - don't get it too wet, scrub with a brush and use clear water to remove washing product. Pat dry with towels or other clean material.

Also you can use WHITE vinegar to remove any residual smell noticeable by animal noses but not perhaps by human noses. (Don't use ordinary brown vinegar because it may stain the carpet.) Splash a little onto the area or onto a damp cloth and rub over the area (be careful if the way the pile goes).

Edited by Twinky

I got "Urine off" wholesale through the vet - it was expensive - but it worked.

Unsure about the products of which you speak. May want to see if they break down the rug --

Type in the name and bad stuff - like hate - don't use - bad and see if anyone wrote a negative review

I have been using Nature's Miracle for years and am a satisfied customer. The key to using the product is to blot out most of the urine, remove all soilds and wetting the spot letting it dried at room temperature. If you need a faster drying time, place a fan to blow over the area. After it is dried, the spot and smell will be gone. After our our Shih Tzu died after a long illness, I used an Oreck carpet cleaner applying cleaner and rinsing with water containing about a cup of Nature's Miracle. It neutralized all the doggy odor. Now we have two Shih Tzus and NM was helpful when house training the puppy. For some reason, the puppy vomits once in a while and the product for cleaning floor, too. I used to get it at a local pet supply but recently bought 1.5 gal container at PetSmart with a coupon for $29 and change. I figure it will last me for a while.

Dog trainers, vets, etc., will all say the same thing about those enzymes, chemicals, etc. - save your money. Just good ol' Borax powder (like what you add to your laundry) will do the trick just fine. Blot up the urine with newspapers or paper towels by standing on the paper towels until no more liquid can be absorbed. Then pour - don't sprinkle - a the Borax on the spot. Let it sit for a couple of hours and vacuum up.

We have white (yes WHITE) burber carpet. Two cats. One dog. Two kids (one is potty trained, the other probably never will be potty trained.) This works. Trust me - and you won't go broke using it!