GreaseSpot Cafe

What got you to make the decision to leave?

Thanks everyone for responding.

My hope in this thread is that those still in and lurking can see why we left and for good reasons.

I think the best reason for anyone to leave TWI is what WEOUT1200 said;

"When I finally realized the Jesus Christ wasn't in the equation."

God bless ya'll.

In 2000 when LCM confessed we questioned and got

spiritually abused for it. At that time I was counselled to find another job that wasn't a career. The incredible defamation of my character and manipulation during post confrontation

meetings finally got me to take action and

quit. There was no longer hope of saving anything

good that was remaining.

I admitted to myself TWI had become a cult.

FORTUNATEONE to be out of TWI

a confrontation about

your ready for this???

the limb leader not getting a thank you card during their time frame!!

Now granted I was a little slow and could have done it in a more timely manner. But I figured if these people were so upset by that, I didn't want them in my life anymore and I definitely didn't want my newborn child around them EVER!!!! that was 7 years ago!!

When it became more painful to stay, than it was to leave.

I finally got to the point where I just could not jump through the hoops good enough to keep my TC's off my back. The control & pressure to be what they wanted me to be was more than I could handle. I finally just gave up.

Of course, I thought I would end up a greasespot & was really scared. But, since I was pretty sure I was still born again & wouldn't go to hell, I somehow found the courage to bail out.

I've been out ever since.... and that is why I consider myself ...... Oneluckymutha

TW -

In the beginning of the first law suit, we were told that TWI had some kind of professional or "ministerial" insurance that would pay for any costs incurred during the trial, including a settlement or jury award. They told us that because one of the big objections (at least in our branch) was that our ABS was going to pay for LCM's sexual misconduct.

I don't know if that was true or not - but I don't think it was. There was a big discussion about it on Waydale and I think someone who knew some facts said that that kind of insurance doesn't usually cover those kinds of acts.

Hope R. color>size>face>

I get by with a little help from my friends... size>

1995-1997:

Got increasingly uneasy with the yelling and mental abuse that took place. Culminated in 1997 when I blew up at the BC for yelling at my wife. Was ready to leave right then but my wife would not back me up, so I stayed in to keep the peace in my home.

1999:

Was put on probation for six months.

2000:

After hearing of the lawsuit, started to question what I was hearing from "leadership" about the whole situation.

Put things "on hold", waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Started re-working Martindale's foundational class since I was convinced that someone as messed up as he was could have accurately worked the Word only by phenomena.

Started reading and posting on WayDale, but still reamained loyal to TWI.

2001:

Came up with ten pages of "actual errors" in The Way of Abundance and Power (WayAP) class. Presented these to local leadership who did nothing.

Wrote to John Reynolds. John called me back after a few weeks and discusssed several issues with me. I was willing to give it another shot.

Reynolds told me that I could discuss specific doctrinal questions with Tom Horrocks, the Region Coordinator, since he had worked the Word in preparation for teaching the class live.

Horrocks said that he didn't need to work the Word, because the Trusteees had approved the class and that was good enough for him.

At this point I made the decision to get out, but wanted to take my family with me. I started posting "insider" information on Waydale and GreaseSpotCafe and became more openly critical of TWI.

WayGB figured out that it was me and banned me from Way fellowships because I "didn't believe that the Trustees were leading the ministry in the right direction".

I was offered probation. I refused.

Oakspear icon_cool.gif

"We...know how cruel the truth often is, and we wonder whether delusion is not more consoling"

Henri Poincare