GreaseSpot Cafe

What kind of occupations/professions are here at the cafe?

brideofjc

What is your occupation/profession?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Building Trades

• Carpenter
    • Electrician
    • Plumber/Pipe Trades
    • Drywaller/Painter
    • Roofer
    • Concrete
    • Asphalter/Road Worker
    • Welder/Iron Workers
    • Flooring
    • This Old House Emcee Wannabee
    • Heavy Equipment Operator
    • Do-It-Yourselfer
    • Anything else not listed (post it)
  2. 2. Farm/Horticultural/Grocer/Fishing/Transportation/Food

• Farmer/Gardener/Ranchers/Wildlife
    • Grocer (anything related)
    • Horticultural/Botanical/Florist
    • Semi Truck Driver
    • Straight Truck Driver
    • Bus Driver
    • Taxi Cab Driver
    • Crazy Drivers (This will top 100%)
    • Love to drive people crazy
    • Fishing/Fisheries/Oceanics/Divers
    • Zoologist/Botanist/Herbologist
    • Restaurants (any aspect)
    • Walmart/K-Mart/Dept. Stores
    • Antiques/Restorationers
    • Anything not listed (post it)
  3. 3. Office/Publishing/Sales/Advertising/Media/Banking

• Secretary/Clerk
    • Publishing/Printer/Typesetter/Graphics
    • Advertising
    • Newspaper industry
    • Television/Radio
    • Internet (anything related)
    • Bankers
    • Stock Brokers
    • Sales (any aspect)
    • Telephone Operators
    • Manufacturing (any aspect)
    • Service Technicians (any aspect)
    • Librarians
  4. 4. Professionals

• Ministers
    • Doctors/Nurses
    • Medical Field (any aspect)
    • Lawyers/Judges/Paralegals
    • Police/Bailliff/Prison Guards/Security
    • Domestic Engineers
    • Flight Industry (any aspect)
    • Butcher/Baker/Candle Stick Maker?
    • Native American Liasons
    • FBI/CIA/Government (any aspect)
    • Teachers (any aspect)
    • Students
    • Self Employed (any aspect)
    • Independently Wealthy (I want to meet you, if you're single)
    • Authors/Writers/Journalists/Technical Writers
  5. 5. Non-Professionals

• Penitentiary Inmates (Husbands don't count)
    • Bums/Bag Ladies
    • Loan Sharks/Hustlers/Gigaloes
    • Gawd, I hope no one answers these!

I was just thinking about all of the different occupations/professions that must be represented out here at the Cafe and so I thought I would make this little poll. I'm sure there are a lot more than could be listed or that I could even think of, so if you don't find your occupation on the poll, just choose as close as you can or "Anything else not listed." Who knows maybe we can lean upon one another if we have questions or need help. You can choose multiple things as well, but be real. If you only worked a couple of weeks at something, don't list it as your career.

Who knows, maybe if you feel comfortable, you can list your email and help others with technical questions if you have the expertise. If some of us live close enough together perhaps we can make use of one another's talents without abusing them by asking it for free.

I guess the best tail-gate size bumper sticker I ever saw: "Yes, I own this truck! NO, I won't help you move!" :biglaugh:

If there is anything that I missed, please post it, we'd like to know if you want to tell.

God Bless.

Apparently, you have to fill in at least one blank in each of the boxes, so if you do not fit into a category in the box, CHOOSE "ANYTHING NOT LISTED (POST IT)" to get your vote counted.

Edited by brideofjc

My occupation isn't listed, and it would fall under all the above categories. I'm a mom.

You would be a DOMESTIC ENGINEER.

Sorry, I completely forgot that occupation. Maybe it's buried somewhere.

Falls under law enforcement. We are all one big happy family. Just like Barney the Dinosaur sings about.

Boy I would love to bury Barney... :offtopic:

I got an error message when I tried to vote :confused:

pollerrormessagekt8.th.jpg

This eroor might be because there are too many choices

perhaps you should limit it to general catgories to get the poll to be a resonable size...

Arts - Creative

Arts - Performing

Business Administration

Business Marketing and Sales

Communications

Community Services

Computer Studies and Math

Engineering

Hospitality Industry

Humanities and Languages

Law

Medical and Health

Natural Resources and Environment

Recreation

Research Sciences

Trades and Apprenticeships

Edited by Steveo

Electronics technician/ repair person.

Yeah, people actually still do have tv's, computers, old radios.. and "antique" guitar amplfiers repaired.

Some have pronounced the death of the repair business, but somehow it keeps on kicking..

:biglaugh:

I almost have my master's degree in Clinical Sociology. Just finishing my thesis. I'll be teaching a Sociology class in the fall at a university.

Volunteer work would have been a good choice to choose from.

I volunteer by helping people who have been in cults, gangs, and hate groups. I also give presentations on these topics to educate people.

Just wanted to mention these things because I'm 45 years old and I think I might know what I want to be when I grow up. :) :)

I couldn't vote either, because I would get an error. However, there really aren't I.T. jobs listed there, so I had to try to pick "other" as well. I'm a computer programmer/team lead/software architect/project manager/scapegoat type person for an energy company (and by energy, I mean primarily natural gas right now.)

I couldnt vote either, it wouldnt count my vote (just like in a lot of our states :lol: ).

I make and restore church stained glass windows. Ive been doing to it for close to 30 years, I've been self employed and have had my own shop for the last 10 or so years...I do some consulting, and spec writing for Historical Preservation jobs as well and volunteer at the local homeless shelter.

Im still warming up in the bullpen though just in case the Red Sox need a 52 year old relief pitcher with a 44 mph fastball and a badback, in which case Im ready for the career change

Edited by mstar1

I couldnt vote either, it wouldnt count my vote (just like in a lot of our states :lol: ).

I make and restore church stained glass windows. Ive been doing to it for close to 30 years, I've been self employed and have had my own shop for the last 10 or so years...I do some consulting, and spec writing for Historical Preservation jobs as well and volunteer at the local homeless shelter.

Im still warming up in the bullpen though just in case the Red Sox need a 52 year old relief pitcher with a 44 mph fastball and a badback, in which case Im ready for the career change

MISTER P-MOSH: You could have chosen "Internet (anything related)"

MSTAR1: You could have chosen "Antiques/Restorationers"

IT WAS THERE GUYS....IT REALLY IS! So far the only thing that I missed was Artist and Morticians (anything related). I just also messed up the poll, it was too lengthy apparently for this board capabilities. Ah well, it was a nice try if I do say so myself.

I checked medical because I am a retired medical secretary and at present a medical transcriptionist working from home. In addition, one day a week I do food demonstrations at a warehouse of the largest membership warehouse "club" in the country for some of the greediest, rudest, most ungrateful people on earth, and their nasty little drink-spilling, food spitting brats.

WG

IT WAS THERE GUYS....IT REALLY IS! So far the only thing that I missed was Artist and Morticians (anything related). I just also messed up the poll, it was too lengthy apparently for this board capabilities. Ah well, it was a nice try if I do say so myself.

Actually, you missed Scientist as a class, or any variety (I'm a chemist) in particular.

George

I checked medical because I am a retired medical secretary and at present a medical transcriptionist working from home. In addition, one day a week I do food demonstrations at a warehouse of the largest membership warehouse "club" in the country for some of the greediest, rudest, most ungrateful people on earth, and their nasty little drink-spilling, food spitting brats.

WG

WOW, are there any opening there for me? :biglaugh:

Actually it can be sort of fun and it can have some amazing moments.

Once I was demonstrating some pie or some kind of crap, getting absolutely mugged, pushed, shoved, stuff grabbed before I could serve it, and developed a screaming bytch of a headache. I kind of moaned and this woman asked me if I was okay. I told her I had a headache and she stepped right around my cart, put her hand on my shoulder and prayed for me. My headache was gone. I was just sort of stunned.

Of course everyone else still grabbed and slurped and carried on. But after that I had a smile on my face.

Probably the worst for most of us is that a lot of people will grab a sample or three and never even look at us. It's like we don't exist. We are not important enough to even say thank you. Some people have it down pat. We are suipposed to give a little speech about the product, what it is, how much it costs, where it's located, etc. Men and Women alike will take the sample, and about 6 words into my little speech, say THANK YOU!!! as they walk away. One little girl who works there got all upset about it, and came to my cart in tears. "Don't worry honey," I told her "that's just her uppity white housewife way of sayin' 'shut the F up!" We had a good laugh, mainly because she'd come up my cart first, and said "I know all about this product and I don't need to hear you talk about it!" (longer speech, maybe it meant shut the f'n f up!).

The store is located close to a couple of rather upscale neighborhoods in Delaware County, Ohio. Many stylish ladies come to feed their children, and make it perfectly clear in their superior way that they have no interest in purchasing the product, just wanted to feed the little darlings, some of whom will spit it right back if they don't like it. Some of them do use the opportunity to enforce good manners.

I did get reported once. This guy comes in with two screaming little bastahds, about 3 and 5, racing ahead of his cart. I was demoing something really hot and the guy across the aisle from me had just pulled some barbecue wings out of a 450 degree convection oven - I think mine was microwaved. The older child went screaming to his cart, and the littlest one actually tried to climb the side of mine by pulling himself up on the side handle we use to push it. There was a tray of steaming hot samples there and he curled his adorably chubby fingers over it to pull it onto his darling little face. Not wanting him disfigured for life, I pulled it away and said "Whoa!"

Now I would think most parents would apologize for their ill-mannered brats and at least thank me for not allowing them to be harmed. This gentleman, however, comes snarling up to the cart, retrieves his errant angel, and yells at me" AFTER ALL, HE'S ONLY A CHILD!" He placed his precious one next to his sibling on the flatbed cart he was using and said to them "Obviously, SHE never had children!" Of course I'm thinking, I do, and if my son had behaved like that, he would have been smacked and we would have left immediately. A few minutes later he was back. "HAVE A NICE DAY!" he sneered on his way by. He asked another food advisor where to go and reported me!

This helpful advisor was upset for me, but did be sure to tell me "He's a DOCTOR!" I told her I didn't care if he was a knight of the round table. "I learned a long time ago that M.D. is not an abbreviation for God the Father Almighty." I said.

Nothing ever came of it. The guy did bring one of his angels to my cart a long time later when I was demoing salmon and they politely asked for a sample, which said angel promptly dropped on the floor. I was just gushy and sweet and gave him another one. They actually thanked me. And politely left his mess on the floor by my cart.

Oh but he's a DOCTOR, so I guess it was a privilege.

WG