GreaseSpot Cafe

What is...?

mstar1

What the heck is that little indentation directly below your nose and between your nostrils called?

Im sure its probably got a name but I just cant think of it

Thats all....

If anyone ---whether creationist, evolutionist or pedestrian has any theories on what it is for --or why in Gods wonderous master plan we all needed a concave face dent or why we evolved with a nose gutter

i'd be curious to hear what you think.

:biglaugh:

gimme your most outlandish theory

Mods-If this needs to be moved to Just Plain Stupid--thats fine

I have no idea why I wake up wondering these things--

Edited by mstar1

filtrum
Well that was relatively easy and painless

Thank You

From HERE

Philtrum.jpg

Filtrum

The philtrum (Greek philtron, from philein, "to love; to kiss"), also known as the infranasal depression, is the vertical groove in the upper lip, formed where the nasomedial and maxillary processes meet during embryonic development.

The philtrum allows humans to express a much larger range of lip motions than would otherwise be possible, which enhances vocal and non-verbal communication.

The ancient Greeks used to believe that the philtrum was one of the most erogenous spots on the human body, hence the etymology.

According to the Jewish Talmud (Niddah 30b), God sends an angel to each womb and teaches a baby all the wisdom that can be obtained. Just before the unborn baby comes out, the angel touches it between the upper lip and the nose and all that it has taught the baby is forgotten.

Commentries on this particular story can be found in "What the Angel Taught you" by Rabbi Noah Weinberg and Yaakov Salomon (ISBN 1-57819-134-3).

Similarly, in other folksayings, it is said that an angel "shushes" the baby in the womb, to stop it from talking about heaven, or to forget. Other stories say that it is an indent left by the finger of God. Still more say that it is the spot where the angel put his finger to "shush" the child after having told it a secret. (This was memorably referenced in the film The Prophecy by the arch-angel Gabriel (Christopher Walken)

I learned a new word today

Did you know?

Did you know?

weights.jpg You have about 640 muscles attached to the bones in your body plus the muscles that line your digestive tract, blood vessels, heart and other organs. But the ones we usually talk about attach bone to bone (they are called skeletal muscles). Your head, face, eyes and neck have more than 100 muscles! Do you know how many muscles it takes to do the little things? It takes:

6 to move an eyeball

20 to purse the lips for a kiss

25 to smile

30 to twist your foot inward

35 to twist your foot outward

45 to frown

50 to take a step forward

75 to speak

• 2 weeks later...

Here is another tidbit. I am reading a book called, Heart Math Solution.. gets into deeply, understanding the heart, brain and respitory functions related to emotions...very chewy book!!

It say's, when a person is feeling loved, the heart, respitory and brain waves are perfect harmony with each other.

I am awestruck by the things I didnt know!!

Here's an observation I learned in Artistic Anatomy:

Look in a mirror and follow the center line running from the bottom septum of the nose, to the filtrum, to the upper lip, to the bottom lip. You should be able to see a sort of "in and out" pattern down that center line.

Septum - out

Filtrum - in

Upper lip - out

Bottom lip - in

It's not much more than an observation. I did learn that the body is full of these types of alternating patterns, though.