GreaseSpot Cafe

What did you do with your "horn of plenty"?

fooledagainII

I remember every time I was relocated on the 'field', searching the thrifts stores for that elusive "horn of plenty". I guess it would have been easier if I'd taken it with me each time but I bought into the "traveling light" thing.

Those were the days... It seem all twigs had them... small ones, big ones, even odd colored ones. At area meetings there would be many of them floating around and at the end the meetings, like they had hidden GPS tracking system of them... people would know which one was theirs.

I wonder what happen to my beloved "horn of plenty". Is it retired with other freed horns? Laying on some ...<gulp> 'non-believers' table with flowers stuck in it... (sorry, I teared up)... or someone in the TWI found it in another thrift store?

Oh well! What did you do with your horn of plenty?

The story Of the horn of plenty

(As told by VPW himself though paraphrased on account of I'm gettin' old and don't remember it perzactly.)

In the early days of "the ministry", they had various paraphernalia they took to every meetin'.

You know, salt for last nights coffee grounds, lipstick stained styro cups, etc.

Included in that assortment were a couple of "ohfeeshal" collection plates just like the real churches used.

But alas, one night someone let the adversary trick them into forgetting the box the plates were in.

Uncle Harry, being the shrewd biniss mogol that he was, burst into action and dashed into the hallway where he discovered a floral "BOW-kay".

Quickly(so as not to dampen the hilarious giving state of the attendees, which would have devilishly deprived them of Gawd's mighty blessings) he dumped the contents and passed around that thar corny-copia, much to the pleasure of those who selflessly awaited the dutiful process of counting the take thanking God for the abundance poured forth.

And thus, the horn-o-plenteous became the Ohfeeshal vessel with which to gather the lovely offerings.

Edited by waysider

Still get the shivers when I see those things.

"Now the little end represents what you put in and the big end represents God's blessings over your life. You get as you give."

It didn't ring true at the time and even less so now. God blesses us regardless.

Anyway I have a tiny one, no longer than about 6", had it for years and longer than knowing of TWI, no idea where I got it but I keep it as an ornament with a small selection of very pretty shells in and around it.

My full size model is in a cupboard on the other side of the world. Hey, Twinky might like to play in it. He's a funny cat, loves to hide in things.

Lost one after a move, so I improvised with a rather large wicker fish...

My favourite four year old, Mikey B. loved to pass around the fish, which was taller than he was. After the ABS was collected, Mikey would pray for chocolate milk...

"Jonah" the fish had a short but happy life in that twig.

In a few months, word had reached the limb coordinators, and the Jonah ABS fish was relegated to work as a clothes hamper...

Mikey B continued to pray for chocolate milk and was not without some success...

My demise followed shortly thereafter...

Lost one after a move, so I improvised with a rather large wicker fish...

A "fisher of men," perhaps (LOL).

I remember every time I was relocated on the 'field', searching the thrifts stores for that elusive "horn of plenty". I guess it would have been easier if I'd taken it with me each time but I bought into the "traveling light" thing.

Oh well! What did you do with your horn of plenty?

Throwing away things you need only to buy them again? Once again, WHAT were we thinking!!!! Ugh...

Mine? Funny, I'm not sure. Probably in a box somewhere as I now "travel heavy." :beer: Yep, I actually KEEP the things I need. Although, in fairness, TWI did give me the idea of giving things to people who needed them more than me. Why couldn't they have just stopped there? Oh well, ....

JT