GreaseSpot Cafe

Did God want kids or just a good fight?

lindyhopper

icon_smile.gif:)-->

I think God and His activities are so much more than can be communicated through language or art. Saying I am a son of God only partly conveys the truth of what I really am. The same is the case with saying God is my father it only partly communicates what my actual relationship with Him is.

I do not believe you can ascribe literally human characteristics of any type to God. Is God human? God becomes in the mind of every individual what that individual makes of Him nothing more and nothing less. But God Himself remains what He is, God.

Continued on next post.....

icon_smile.gif:)-->

The only way to know literally what God is, why He is, and why we are, would be to have all knowledge because there is no other way to realize an all knowing God. This idea is expressed in the saying, "knowing even as we are known."

Please forgive the multiple posts. It is the only way I can post..

quote:
Originally posted by Goey:

Nice Posts Early2it.

Did you check your private topics for some possible solutions to your posting problem?

Goey

Goey,

I checked my private topic. That sounds kinky. I check my private's. hee....heee

This is my test to see if your log out disable idea worked.

It would be very nice to be able to post like a normal poster.

It's gets old being told to stop with the multiple post when you can't.

I guess that is what a sex addict must go through.

The only way to know literally what God is, why He is, and why we are, would be to have all knowledge because there is no other way to realize an all knowing God. This idea is expressed in the saying, "knowing even as we are known."

Please forgive the multiple posts. It is the only way I can post..

early:

quote:
Consequently, since we are not like God ( unless you believe God is a man ) the only way we can understand Him is to make Him like us.
Very astute observation. The fact that God may not appear to adhere to our rules does not mean that God doesn't adhere to any rules.

The Secret Signature of the Day has been cancelled by the HTML Police.

Or so the Germans would have us believe...

Nice posts early,

You could be on to something. Or just on something.

Appreciate a thoughtful answer. Instead of the same old "Gods ways are higher than our ways", "Just because you don't get your pony doesn't mean theres no God" type of stuff. Which for those of you sho are as lazy as I am and didn't want to go back thru five pages of an old topic to find Zix's answer....there it is.

But Zix did pin me. I was really being more sarcastic and humorous (to myself apparently) served with a side of food for thought. Sometimes someone needs to ask these "stupid" questions so that maybe someone will think about it. Maybe I put it the wrong way but I was noticing that some people's God sure does fight a lot. Everyday and every night. I guess I should imitate that as long as I also love at the same time. lol

Hey that aside Early, good points.

quote:
God becomes in the mind of every individual what that individual makes of Him nothing more and nothing less. But God Himself remains what He is, God.

The first statement is great. But the second one, in light of the first, only applies to you. icon_cool.gif See that?

I can agree with some of what you said in light of God. If there is a God for me it could be nothing like a human as you said and all these human characteristics are void of meaning in terms of the true nature of this god. Can it (this god) even be Creator then? Creator, to me at least, implies some motivation, not just a reaction, that would be too human. This "creator" would not really create in our terms but just do what it naturally does, no motivation, no concious decision, just it is what it is and does what it does. The end result of that is us here, thinking folks. We wonder why we are here and attribute it to the source of what we think is the begining and form these elborate stories and titles and so on, so that we can understand our purpose, which we feel we need.

I guess I'll stop here. I must go do my duty.

Who's your daddy?

LOL Lindy, If you are stupid (you said it not me) then I am the Queen of stupid questions, but doesn't even stupid ? need to be answered, and who decides what is stupid anyway.

If you ask a ? about something you don't know I don't think that makes you stupid, just ( and I hate to use this word, but can't think of another) it just makes you ignorant of the subject.

Like me for example I been trying to post pictures for months now and every once in a while I manage to get one up, but its only blind luck that it happens and anyway when it does happen I forget how I did it. LOL Just ask poor Steve who's been trying to teach me.

uh oh Didn't mean to derail this thread.......CARRY ON FRIENDS.

Dovey....proud owner of two low riders...Dovey's Doxies...... ]

quote:
Instead of the same old "Gods ways are higher than our ways", "Just because you don't get your pony doesn't mean theres no God" type of stuff. Which for those of you sho are as lazy as I am and didn't want to go back thru five pages of an old topic to find Zix's answer....there it is.

Nope. That's not even a good trivialization of the answer. Try again.

But Zix did pin me. I was really being more sarcastic and humorous (to myself apparently) served with a side of food for thought. Sometimes someone needs to ask these "stupid" questions so that maybe someone will think about it. Maybe I put it the wrong way but I was noticing that some people's God sure does fight a lot. Everyday and every night. I guess I should imitate that as long as I also love at the same time. lol

Lindy, I'm sure you find things like that funny, but do you ever stop and think that phrasing questions through a wiseass filter can offend people who actually do believe in the God you reject? If you had a question about Judaism, would you start by making crude circumcision jokes? You may have gotten some yuk-yuks out of it, but the way you chose is little more than another anti-Christian troll.

There's an article pending on another site that I read that I may be able to link to once it becomes public. Anyway, they brought up some good points about the omniscense of God, or lack thereof.

Here is one verse quoted that according to the article shows that God does not have foreknowledge.

quote:

But they set their abominations in the house, which is called by my name, to defile it. And they built the high places of Baal, which are in the valley of the son of Hinnom, to cause their sons and their daughters to pass through the fire unto Molech; which I commanded them not, neither came it into my mind, that they should do this abomination, to cause Judah to sin. And now therefore thus saith the LORD, the God of Israel, concerning this city, whereof ye say, It shall be delivered into the hand of the king of Babylon by the sword, and by the famine, and by the pestilence;

-- Jeremiah 32:34-36

Even in Genesis, God admits that he made a mistake by creating mankind.

quote:

And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart. And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

-- Genesis 6:5-7

The conclusion of the article, which I disagree with, is that if there is a God he either was never omniscent, or he has used his infinite power to limit himself now. This, of course, requires the existance of god(s) so I can't define the nature of them until I have proof that they exist. Either way, it sounds to me like there is a problem with what is in the bible. Either the verses that say God is omniscent are true, or the verses that say his is not are true. Or, the third possibility is that there is no God at all.

quote:
Originally posted by Zixar:

early:

quote:
Consequently, since we are not like God ( unless you believe God is a man ) the only way we can understand Him is to make Him like us.
Very astute observation. The fact that God may not appear to adhere to _our_ rules does not mean that God doesn't adhere to _any_ rules.

Zix

The opposite could also be true. It also does not mean God does adhere to rules.

Everybody interprets everything the way they want to. I don't know which is worse, though, the sanctimonious self-piety of the hyperbelievers or the arrogant smugness of the pseudointellectuals.

Must have been a package deal on shoulder-chips...

quote:
Nope. That's not even a good trivialization of the answer.

No?

quote:
Try again.

Honestly now, do you really think I am going to do that, Zix?

quote:
Lindy, I'm sure you find things like that funny, but do you ever stop and think that phrasing questions through a wiseass filter can offend people who actually do believe in the God you reject?

First off, the "wise *** filter", as you put it is a figure of speech used to make a point and to make people think. It is used in the Bible a few times. Why don't you look it up. Here's a linkThe Holy Bible

If someone is offended by it they are not getting the point or not thinking or both and/or are not secure in themselves or what they believe. People should come away stronger in their original beliefs or questioning more.

Second, I don't reject God. Is that like "turning your back on the ministry?". I simply have stopped believing in one for lack of proof or a good reason. Dosn't exactly = Rejection. In order to reject God I would have to believe in one. Makes sense doesn't it. Just like, I can't mock God if there isn't a god to mock. I would be mocking the belief in God but not as harshly as you put it.

quote:
If you had a question about Judaism, would you start by making crude circumcision jokes?

Now your just being retarded. You really blow things out of proportion, don't you?

Here is what I said originally

quote:
Did God really just want children? He would have had to of known he would end up spending thousands of years or more just toying around with the Devil and his spirits.

I mean be honest that is what he would be doing. He and his Godly army could crush the Devil and his army. After all God is all powerful.

Does God enjoy fighting? He sure set it up to look that way. He says he does it everyday. He could end that when ever he feels like it. Of course we would come back in a thousand years and fight some more to end it all for good.

What will all those angels who have been fighting everyday and night since the fall do when it is all over? Retire maybe.

Now that is hardly a crude joke. Besides, Circumcision has a lot more validity as a practice than prophecy or believing in a god that fights every day and night. And I have not "just started" most folks are used to me, because I havve been at this for a while. Still your one of the first people to these sorts of threads. Hey you WERE the first one.

quote:
You may have gotten some yuk-yuks out of it, but the way you chose is little more than another anti-Christian troll.

An anti-Christian troll on a site that claims it is "not a Christian site"? Interesting...

I already said maybe I should have worded it differently. Calling me anti-Christian is just plain wrong. It is like saying I turned my back on God. It is projecting your hate for who you were at one time and labeling me accordingly. Your welcome, our time is almost up, I'll bill you.

quote:
It's just that I've answered this question (or very similar ones) at least five times over the Waydale-GSC years. I figure people won't want to read the same thing yet once more.

If your concern is that people are tired of reading your answers over and over again, then maybe just stay out of those threads. Know what I am tired of hearing? "doesn't this belong in the _______ section?" When is the last time that actually worked or mattered? Saying that you have answered something soooo many times and leaving it at that is just a pretension claiming that your answer was the correct one, so the issue is dead, move on. But, that is false and rather annoying.

This post sponcered by E-Bill.

Who's your daddy?

quote:
Originally posted by lindyhopper:

quote:
Nope. That's not even a good trivialization of the answer.

_No?_

No.

quote:
Try again.

_Honestly now, do you really think I am going to do that, Zix? _

Of course not. If you had any real interest in the answer you requested from me, you would have looked it up in the first place.

quote:
Lindy, I'm sure you find things like that funny, but do you ever stop and think that phrasing questions through a wiseass filter can offend people who actually do believe in the God you reject?

_First off, the "wise *** filter", as you put it is a figure of speech used to make a point and to make people think. It is used in the Bible a few times. Why don't you look it up. Here's a link_

_If someone is offended by it they are not getting the point or not thinking or both and/or are not secure in themselves or what they believe. People should come away stronger in their original beliefs or questioning more._

This is a standard defense of ignorant bigotry. "Oh, come on, that Holocaust joke was funny. I don't know why that rabbi has no sense of humor..."

_Second, I don't reject God. Is that like "turning your back on the ministry?". I simply have stopped believing in one for lack of proof or a good reason. Dosn't exactly = Rejection. In order to reject God I would have to believe in one. Makes sense doesn't it. Just like, I can't mock God if there isn't a god to mock. I would be mocking the belief in God but not as harshly as you put it._

No, it has nothing to do with any ministry. Like I said, everyone interprets everything the way they want to, and if you wish to spin the definition of "reject" in this bizarre fashion to rationalize a tenuous belief to yourself, then there's little chance of persuading you otherwise. For the record, here are the first few definitions from dictionary.com:

re·ject

1. To refuse to accept, submit to, believe, or make use of.

2. To refuse to consider or grant; deny.

3. To refuse to recognize or give affection to (a person).

In light of any of those, my original assertion stands.

quote:
If you had a question about Judaism, would you start by making crude circumcision jokes?

_Now your just being retarded. You really blow things out of proportion, don't you?_

First off, you need to watch the personal attacks. Retardation is not something to be made fun of. Second, what you continually fail to recognize is that you don't get to determine the validity of another person's reaction to your posts. You've admitted that your original post was sarcastic and an attempt at humor, and it was at the expense of another person's belief system. That's impolite, at best, and if someone takes offense to it, all of your rationalizations won't ameliorate the situation.

Here is what I said originally

quote:
Did God really just want children? He would have had to of known he would end up spending thousands of years or more just toying around with the Devil and his spirits.

I mean be honest that is what he would be doing. He and his Godly army could crush the Devil and his army. After all God is all powerful.

Does God enjoy fighting? He sure set it up to look that way. He says he does it everyday. He could end that when ever he feels like it. Of course we would come back in a thousand years and fight some more to end it all for good.

What will all those angels who have been fighting everyday and night since the fall do when it is all over? Retire maybe.

_Now that is hardly a crude joke. Besides, Circumcision has a lot more validity as a practice than prophecy or believing in a god that fights every day and night. And I have not "just started" most folks are used to me, because I havve been at this for a while. Still your one of the first people to these sorts of threads. Hey you WERE the first one._

More arrogant value judgments. If you find circumcision a more valid belief than a straw God you set up to poke fun at, it's not a defense, it's just another rationalization.

quote:
You may have gotten some yuk-yuks out of it, but the way you chose is little more than another anti-Christian troll.

_An anti-Christian troll on a site that claims it is "not a Christian site"? Interesting..._

There are Christian trolls here as well. It wouldn't matter if this were a discussion site for 57 Chevy aficionados, I found your original post to be offensive, and even moreso in the light of your subsequent confessions of the nature of it.

_I already said maybe I should have worded it differently. Calling me anti-Christian is just plain wrong. It is like saying I turned my back on God. It is projecting your hate for who you were at one time and labeling me accordingly. Your welcome, our time is almost up, I'll bill you._

Projection? A psychobabble term for the infantile "I know you are, but what am I?" retort. If you once believed, but now do not, how is that anything BUT turning your back on your former belief? I've turned my back on Santa Claus, too, but I don't go around taunting children who still believe. I think it's much more indicative of the atheist's insecurities with his own beliefs when he feels it necessary to evangelize at Christians' expense.

quote:
It's just that I've answered this question (or very similar ones) at least five times over the Waydale-GSC years. I figure people won't want to read the same thing yet once more.

_If your concern is that people are tired of reading your answers over and over again, then maybe just stay out of those threads. Know what I am tired of hearing? "doesn't this belong in the _______ section?" When is the last time that actually worked or mattered? Saying that you have answered something soooo many times and leaving it at that is just a pretension claiming that your answer was the correct one, so the issue is dead, move on. But, that is false and rather annoying._

This had nothing to do with any specific TWI belief, so posting it in the ATW forum was inappropriate, in my opinion. If you'll go back and read your second post, you elicited a response from me directly. There was no pretense of quashing the issue, no matter what you might think. These kind of questions have been raised repeatedly before, and addressed repeatedly, as was evidenced by the example thread-link I posted. You participated in that one, so your sarcastic "kids vs. fight" premise appears little more than yet another immature troll for attention.

Personally, I don't care why you no longer believe in God. Doesn't affect me in the slightest, until you start denigrating those who still do. Witnessing for atheism is about as appetizing as a sucking chest wound. Although, if I ever feel the need to become a bitter, morose, sarcastic Scrooge in the spiritual department, I'll know who to ask for some atheist pamphlets.

Agreed, Mr. P.

Doesn't this belong in the Soap Opera forum?

Zix,

I see no reason to continue this back and forth. I already know you won't stop until I do, so there you go.

Except for these two points I will comment on.

quote:
This had nothing to do with any specific TWI belief, so posting it in the ATW forum was inappropriate, in my opinion.

Thanks for your opinion, but this had to do with two of twi's beliefs, the only two I brought up. One, that God wanted children, yes this has been gone over several times, and two that God and His angles fight for us every day and night. So this IS an appropriate place for this thread. And, just because I currently see no reason to believe in a god does not mean I can't ask these types of questions or that I won't at some point have a legit reason to. Seems unlikely, now, but not impossible.

Two, you seem to still confuse me with an atheist, and that I might have some pamphlets. That is just wrong. We have been over this before. It was wrong then and will be wrong the next time. Hopefully we will get this and there won't be a next time.

Thanks for adding to the humor of the thread with that last post.

Early, do you have anything to add?

Who's your daddy?

quote:
Originally posted by lindyhopper:

Zix,

I see no reason to continue this back and forth. I already know you won't stop until I do, so there you go.

Okay...

Except for these two points I will comment on.

Wow, that didn't last long...

quote:
This had nothing to do with any specific TWI belief, so posting it in the ATW forum was inappropriate, in my opinion.

Thanks for your opinion, but this had to do with two of twi's beliefs, the only two I brought up. One, that God wanted children, [...]

Hardly a TWI-specific belief. This is the orthodox Christian view. SIT, the dead are dead, Jesus God, these are more TWI-specific unorthodox beliefs.

[...]yes this has been gone over several times, and two that God and His angles fight for us every day and night. [...]

Again, this is a common Christian belief not peculiar to TWI at all. Matter of fact, I don't remember this ever being taught in TWI in the form you state.

So this IS an appropriate place for this thread.

Not really.

And, just because I currently see no reason to believe in a god does not mean I can't ask these types of questions or that I won't at some point have a legit reason to. Seems unlikely, now, but not impossible.

No one's saying you can't ask questions, lindy. It's just that your admitted lack of sincerity makes it difficult to rationally discuss such. If your reason was illegitimate in the first place, then this was, as I said, just another troll.

Two, you seem to still confuse me with an atheist, and that I might have some pamphlets. That is just wrong. We have been over this before. It was wrong then and will be wrong the next time. Hopefully we will get this and there won't be a next time.

Uh-huh. Funny, but didn't you just say "I currently see no reason to believe in a god"? (Yeah, you did, I c&p'd it.) How is that not atheism?

Ditto.

You again?

agnostic

SYLLABICATION: ag·nos·tic

PRONUNCIATION: AUDIO: g-nstk KEY

NOUN: 1a. One who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God. b. One who is skeptical about the existence of God but does not profess true atheism

I fit in to A and B. I don't think there is enough proof or good reason to know there is a god. I don't deny that there could be a god, but without that proof I cannot form a belief in favor of one. Again, we have been over this before. I have made arguments for both sides and my thoughts on the idea of a god are on this thread. Yet you choose to ignore these things and continue to call me an atheist. A couple of words come to mind.

quote:

Ditto.

Your welcome.

aaaaannnd

I'm spent.

Who's your daddy?

Selective agnosticism is just a coward's atheism. Arguments along the lines of "Well, I don't know if any gods exist, but I've decided YOURS doesn't!" are not truly agnostic in nature.

I thought you were going to take your football and go home. What happened with that?